I've got a gallon of 1% milk

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I will never drink it before it goes bad.

What can I make?

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Rice pudding with raisins and Cinnamon.

For example

I have always wondered if you use a starchey rice if the starch would thicken the milk for the pudding.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Maybe add some cream and make a corn or lobster chowder which you could portion and freeze.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
According to The Joy of Baking, you can substitute 1 cup of skim milk plus 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine for whole milk in a recipe.

I've used skim milk in potato soup, biscuits, corn bread, gravy, pudding...pretty much anything that calls for whole milk.

Guts

Lee when I was cooking on the commercial fishing boats that I worked on, we would have to buy provisions for weeks on end. We froze our milk, but I would open the full container and pour a little out first as it expands a little. Milk freezes well. But when defrosted the shelf-life is short in my opinion

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i would make from-scratch pudding, or make a vanilla dessert sauce.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, I think rice pudding is just what the doctor ordered!

Guts, I didn't know you could freeze milk! Cool! (no pun intended). I will freeze a little, too!

Thanks, all!

Lee

Guts

Lee there's no problem freezing milk. The only issue is when defrosted the shelf life is shortened a bit. And depending on the size of the container it takes a while to defrost. we bought gallon size containers. Like I said my other post it does expand a bit. So leave a little room in the container. Good luck