Daube Provencal a la Buckytom

buckytom

Grill Master
i got this recipe from the food section of my local paper who had interviewed tony bourdain about his cookbook, "les halles". this is a recipe from the new book. i tweaked it a bit by adding more lamb, carrots, and potatoes and some of the other ingredients to "beef" it up. i changed it enough to be able to cal this "my version".

daube provencal (lamb neck and shoulder stew)

ingredients:

2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
3 pounds lamb neck and shoulder with bones (i used 2 pounds of neck, 2 pounds of shoulder blade chops, meaty parts cut into chunks)
salt and pepper
1/2 pound bacon, cut into small cubes or lardons
1 large onion, finely diced
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 tbsps tomato paste
1 tbsp flour
2 cups white wine
1 cup strong, dark veal, chicken, or lamb stock (i used strong turkey stock)
2 cups baby carrots, coarsely chopped
1 bouquet garni (a few sprigs of flat leaf parsley and thyme, tied up with a coupla bay leaves)
zest of a whole orange
4 wax potatoes, peeled and cut into football wedges
flat leaf parsley, chopped, for a garnish.

heat olive oil in a dutch oven on high heat. add butter; foam it; let it subside. season lamb chunks and bones with salt and pepper and sear on all sides in the hot pan until it is dark brown. when depply browned, remove and set aside.

add bacon to the still hot pan and cook until crispy and the fat has been rendered. remove bacon and set aside.

discard most of the fat from the pan; add onion, celery, and garlic. cook over medium-high heat until the veggies have caramalized, about 5 minutes.

using a wooden spoon, stir in tomato paste, cook for about 1 minute. stir in flour, and cook for an additional minute. (by this time, the paste and flour are really sticking to the bottom, but not burning).

stir in wine and scrape up all of the brown stuff. bring wine to a boil, reduce by half. add stock and a teaspoon of demi-glace, if it's available. (i skipped the demi-glace).

bring back to a boil; reduce immediately to a simmer. add lamb, carrots, bouquet garni, orange zest, and bacon. season with salt and pepper, and cover the pot. simmer over low heat for about 90 minutes, occasionally skimming any fat off the surface (i had to skim very little fat).

after 90 minutes, add potatoes and cook until they are tender, about 15 minutes or so. skim any fat a final time, making sure there's no film on the surface.

serve in a big bowl, garnish with parsley. goes really well with crusty buttered bread...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, now this one is affordable! I far prefer lamb stew to beef stew.

Copied and saved! Thanks, BT!

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome! I'll defintiely be trying this. But I'll have to be secretive about the meat until after dinner! :lol: