Site Maintenence July 3rd 2016

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Site Maintenance later today. We will be down. Hopefully not for to long but I'm not making any promises. We'll do our best to be back up as soon as we can.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, my hopefully not for long comment jinxed us. But we are now on a new disk array with mirroring. The bad disk array has been kicked out. All is good.
Sorry for the extended outage but it was needed in the worst way. It had to be done before that disk failed and then we would have been in a world of hurt.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I've always heard computers were all smoke and mirrors. You've confirmed the mirror part! :mrgreen:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've always heard computers were all smoke and mirrors. You've confirmed the mirror part! :mrgreen:
Yeah. I wish I had a cloud where it would all just work and be free ...like clouds. They should not cost anything. :thumb:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My posts hang up, after logging off and on, there they are. Anyone else have that problem?
Well, not exactly but I am seeing extremely slow post times. I can read the forums and it responds rather quickly but when I post I have to wait, and wait and wait before it finally finishes the posting process.
I have not logged out in the middle of the process.
Be assured the problem is not on your end. Nor is it a Net Cooking Talk problem. This is happening on all the forums I run.
We upgraded disk arrays and made a few other changes in the maintenance window. No clue what is causing the slow posts but I am doing my best to get to the bottom of it. For now, just wait and it will normally complete in a minute or so. Sometimes it results in double posts. If this happens and you notice it feel free to report the post as a double post and myself or one of the mods will delete the duplicate.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Yep, just happened to me too. I tried to re-post, and it told me that I was making a duplicate post.

Edit to Add: I just noticed something. If you click the back button while it still looks like it's loading (not very patient here :)), it posts your message anyway (or it did for me two times). Just go back and hit "new posts" and there it is.

Good Luck, Doc!

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, a reboot of the server seems to have fixed the slow post issue. at least for now. it is still causing issues with the mail server though. it's a firewall issue. We'll get there but for now the slow post / double post stuff should be goneski.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You probably noticed we are having issues with the upgrade. Thought it was the firewall since web server and mail servers were both impacted. Tried to bypass the firewall for a test and that failed. Still not sure what the problem is but we brought the sites back up while we scratch our noggins trying to figure it out. The fix that was put in last night caused our outage. No fixes planned for today. So we should be good or awhile, I hope.