Turkey Meatball Soup with Kale and Farro

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I got this recipe from Cooking Light, but I substituted pearled faro for the quinoa. I put the faro in the meatballs and added more to the broth.

I can't find lacinato kale, but I was very excited to find a package of BABY KALE!!!

Excellent recipe! Really delicious! And the parm cheese on top makes it!

Lee

Turkey Meatball Soup with Greens
We like the tenderness of lacinato kale, but you can substitute other varieties in this soup.
Cooking Light SEPTEMBER 2013
· Yield: Serves 6
· Hands-on:40 Minutes
· Total:1 Hour
Ingredients

• 1 pound ground turkey breast
  • 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
  • 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated and divided (about 1/2 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced and divided

• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 cup chopped shallots
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 8 cups trimmed chopped lacinato kale (about 1 pound)
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 5 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
  • Lemon wedges (optional)
Preparation
1. Combine turkey, quinoa, 1/4 cup cheese, parsley, basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 2 garlic cloves, and egg in a large bowl; mix gently just until combined. Working with damp hands, shape turkey mixture into 24 meatballs (about 2 tablespoons each).
2. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 12 meatballs; cook 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining 12 meatballs. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots and celery to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add remaining 4 garlic cloves; sauté 1 minute. Add kale, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add stock; bring to a boil. Return meatballs to pan. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until kale is tender and meatballs are done. Ladle 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; divide remaining cheese evenly among bowls. Serve with lemon, if desired.
Baby kale.JPG
Turkey meatball and kale soup.JPG

Last edited: