• 10 oz Flank steak
  • 13.65 oz Broccoli spears
  • 4 oz onion
  • 5 medium cloves fresh garlic OR to taste
  • 1 inch fresh ginger OR to taste
  • Choice of EVOO, grapeseed oil, peanut oil, chili oil or a combo of several
  • Ground peppercorns - to taste
  • Ground red pepper flakes - to taste
  • 1 - 1/2 cups beef broth (OR 1 - 1/2 tsp beef bouillon & 1 - 1/2 cups water)
  • 1 - 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 TBSP Oyster sauce
  • 2 TBSP Soy sauce OR to taste
Preparation
  1. Blend cornstarch with broth (or bouillon and water) and blend well (slurry); set aside
  2. Slice flank steak thin across the bias
  3. Coat with small amount of choice of oil(s) and season with ground peppercorns & ground red pepper flakes to taste; toss well
  4. Slice onion into long strips(DONOT dice)
  5. Grate garlic & ginger on a microplane (rasp type grater) or mince fine
  6. Heat large cast iron pan on medium high heat
  7. Add several turns of oil(s) to pan and heat till a drop of water sizzles when dropped in pan
  8. Add ginger and garlic and sauté till they give off a nice smell (DONOT burn)
  9. Add meat and stir fry till meat just meat just turns gray
  10. Add additional oil(s) if needed
  11. Add onions and broccoli
  12. Stir fry till broccoli turns bright green
  13. Season with additional ground peppercorns and ground red pepper flakes to taste if desired
  14. Add cornstarch slurry, oyster sauce and soy sauce to pan and bring to boil
  15. Stir till thickened (if to thick thin with additional broth (or water); if to thin add more cornstarch & broth (or water) slurry)
  16. Cook till broccoli is tender crisp
  17. Toss well & serve hot
Serve with choice of rice (steamed or fried) or noodles, top with crisp noodles if desired.

Variation:

May add sliced mushrooms

beef_broccoli_091209_1_P1040074.JPG

Served with steamed white rice (mushrooms added to stir fry)

beef_broccoli_091209_2_P1040078.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I saw this recipe on the Epicurious website and it looks very much like Peep's recipe.

I had everything (used a pound of flank steak).

It's delicious! I served over half a cup of brown rice, with a side of roaste bok choy for an excellent lo-cal, lo WW points plus dinner!

Next time I'm going to add some sliced water chestnuts.

Lee

CRISPY BEEF AND BROCCOLI (from Epicurious website)

Submitted by guiltypanaceaUpdated: September 23, 2015

Ingredients
o 1/2 pound flank steak, thinly sliced across the grain into 2-by-1/2-inch pieces
o 1 teaspoon baking soda
o 2 tablespoons soy sauce
o 1 tablespoon sake
o 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
o 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
o 1 teaspoon sugar
o 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
o 1 cup homemade chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
o 3 teaspoons cornstarch
o 6 tablespoons canola oil
o 1 pound broccoli, cut into 1 1/2-inch florets
o 1/2 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch strips
o 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
o 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
o 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

DIRECTIONS:
In a shallow bowl, dust the flank steak pieces with the baking soda and toss gently. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sake, oyster sauce, Worcestershire, sugar and sesame oil and whisk to blend. In another small bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of the chicken stock with 2 teaspoons of the cornstarch. In a wok, heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil until shimmering. Add the broccoli and stir-fry over high heat until the florets are starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock and cook until the stock has evaporated and the broccoli is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer the broccoli to a bowl.

Heat another 2 tablespoons of oil in the wok. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat until browned and beginning to soften. Scrape the onion over the broccoli. Wipe out the wok. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the wok. Toss the meat with the remaining 1 teaspoon of cornstarch. Add the garlic and ginger to the wok and stir-fry until light brown and fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the meat and stir-fry until no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Return the broccoli and onion to the wok and toss to combine. Add the soy sauce mixture and stir-fry until the meat is cooked through and the sauce is hot, about 2 minutes.

Stir the chicken stock-cornstarch mixture and add it to the wok. Bring to a boil and, when the sauce thickens, season with salt and serve immediately. Serve With Steamed rice.

Attachments

• IMG_1796.JPG
    IMG_1796.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 199

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Looks good Lee! BTW I have added water chestnuts for a little crunch it is wonderful.

Which recipe did you follow?

Mine was posted 2011 and the Epicurious was posted 2015. I wonder if this person used my recipe as inspiration.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I followed the recipe I posted, and when I went to post it here, I saw yours.

Lee