Tunisian Eggplant

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ever looking for new eggplant recipes, I finished up my harvest of baby white eggplants on this recipe.

Not much different that traditional ratatouille, but the addition of green olives and artichokes make the dish.

I served it with lightly toasted pita bread, cut in wedges. Mmm-MMM!

Lee

Tunisian Eggplant – from Mollie Katzen’s "Still Life with Menu" Cookbook
(recipe re-printed with author's permission)

Preparation Time: About 40 minutes

Yield: Appetizer for six

Here is a South Mediterranean version of eggplant caponata (the famous Italian eggplant salad) featuring two outstanding guest stars: green olives and marinated artichoke hearts. It is so good it must be served as a course unto itself, accompanied by wedges of pita bread. (If you serve it with anything else, the other dish, no matter how good, might go unnoticed. *Ed Note: That is the TRUTH.)

It keeps beautifully, so go ahead and make it three or four days ahead of time, if that is most convenient for you.

1/4 cup olive oil (or more, as needed)
1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
2 to 3 medium-sized cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
1 large eggplant (peeling optional), cut into 1-inch cubes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup small pitted green olives
1 small jar (6 ounce) marinated artichoke hearts (drained, each piece cut into 2 or 3 smaller pieces)
pinches of dried tarragon, basil and/or oregano (optional)

1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, garlic and salt, and sauté over medium heat until the onion is soft and translucent (5 to 8 minutes).
  2. Add the eggplant cubes, stir and cover. Cook until the eggplant is very well done (15 to 20 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add small amounts of additional oil, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed to prevent sticking.
  3. Stir in tomato paste and vinegar, and heat to the boiling point. Add the olives and remove from heat.
  4. Stir in the artichoke hearts, then cool to room temperature. Taste to adjust the seasonings, adding the optional herbs, if desired.
  5. Cover tightly and chill. Serve cold or at room temperature

Attachments

• Tunisian Eggplant.JPG
    Tunisian Eggplant.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 236
  • Brunch, Tunisian eggolant.JPG
    Brunch, Tunisian eggolant.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
yum, lee!

i've also got those ingredients, except 4 an eggplant. oh. TY, as well!