Ying and Yang Noodles with Shrimp

High Cheese

Saucier
I threw this together with limited ingredients in the house. Leftover shrimp, some green onion, noodles and a carrot....basically. I came up with the ying/yang idea because I was cooking for my wife and myself but only had one serving of udon. So I grabbed a bunch of the soba. haha

I always buy unpeeled shrimp. Freeze some and save the shells in the freezer too for a sauce or stock.

Makes 2 servings (appetizer or lunch size)

shrimp shells
water
8 large/jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
1T cooking oil (grapeseed)
1t minced ginger
1t minced garlic
2 pickled chiles, some chile flakes or a teaspoon of chile sauce works
2T ponzu
2T rice wine
2-3 green onions, 1" pieces
1 carrot, julienne
1T butter

1 serving each, Udon and Soba noodles (there should be a little ribbon seperating the portions.

Start by making the stock. Add reserved shells to a small sauce pan with about 2-3 cups cold water, bring to boil then simmer for about 10 minutes. The longer it simmers the deeper flavor. Strain and season to taste. You want it something like chicken soup. You don't need to limit your stock to just the shells either, you can add a piece of ginger or a chili right in there. Set that aside.

Cook the noodles separately. I cooked the udon first and set aside, when I started the soba I began cooking the shrimp.

In a saute pan, heat the oil and add the shrimp. After a minute add the carrot, then the garlic, ginger and chile. When you flip the shrimp, add the ponzu and rice wine. Let cook and reduce the liquid.

Meanwhile, place half of the udon on one side of a serving bowl, then place half the soba in the other side. This is the Ying/Yang. Spoon on about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the shrimp stock.

Add the butter and green onion to the pan and toss. If your pan got too dry you can add a touch ponzu and rice wine. The butter will make a little sauce with the remaining liquid. Toss for a sec just to melt the butter and top the noodles with the shrimp.

IMG_3196.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very clever, HC! And beautiful photo, as always.

I bought some grapeseed oil but forget why.

Why do you use it?

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
Thanks.

I like grapeseed because you can use it with super high heat and it has no flavor. I don't like using olive oil with Asian cuisine. I use it for high heat cooking like starting burgers in a cast iron pan or any kind of high temp searing like that. Also for pot stickers.

I'm not a fan of canola or vegetable oil.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks.

I like grapeseed because you can use it with super high heat and it has no flavor. I don't like using olive oil with Asian cuisine. I use it for high heat cooking like starting burgers in a cast iron pan or any kind of high temp searing like that. Also for pot stickers.

I'm not a fan of canola or vegetable oil.

Oh, yeah - that's why I bought it, too. In fact, I may have bought it because you recommended it for those reasons!

:flowers:

Lee