Appetizer/Finger Food Ideas (New Years Eve)

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
We like marinated button mushrooms.
Other ideas:
stuffed celery sticks or cucumber boats

An asked-for favorite that I've brought to parties is my "Checkerboard Caviar Potatoes". Buy tiny little baby potatoes - no larger than golf-ball size & boil them to the "just tender" stage. Cut them in half horizontally & then slice a tiny bit off the bottoms so each potato half will stand upright. Set potato halves in rows on a platter (garnished with greens of choice - parsley, kale, whatever. Top each potato half with a small dollop of sour cream, then garnish each potato with a small dollop of caviar - alternating red & black. Inexpensive Lumpfish caviar works well for this - no need to waste the really pricey stuff.

Another unbelievably simply appetizer that's readily scarfed up? Buy thin-sliced pepperoni &/or small salami slices, smear with plain cream cheese, roll up & bind with a frilly toothpick (dip ends in minced parsley if you like).

And of course there's always my mom's favorite, but you have to have a good bakery available.

Pinwheels!!

One loaf of good bakery white bread, sliced lengthwise. Gently compress each lengthwise slice of bread with a rolling pin. Spread with any fairly solid spread that suits your fancy - pimiento cheese, cream cheese with seasonings; deviled ham; chicken spread; crab, shrimp; etc. etc. Gently but firmly roll up bread slices & chill until firm. Slice into little pinwheels & serve.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
how about an antipasto lolipop?

your choice of the following

meats - salami,prosciutto,mortadella,smoked ham
cheese - fresh mozza,provalone
olives,mushroom,various veggies

make them into kababoesk shapes..marinate in olive oil or vinegar or balsamic vinegar..

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'm making Hanky Pankys on homemade rye (made in the mini loaf pans), and Lavash crackers with dill dip, ala Peter Reinharts recipe in the Bread Bakers Apprentice. I do a twist on it by using dark rye, stoneground whole wheat and unbleached white flour in equal amounts, and rolling them out with my pasta machine to get them nice and thin. I've posted them here before, but can't figure how to include a hyperlink using my iPad...grrrrrrrr. DS is already gone to figure it out, but if you do a search they will come up on NCT.