What's Cooking? 5/23/11

K

Kimchee

Don't knock the lowly anchovy, it really changes flavor when cooked into a dish!
Except pizza, remains a little chunk of fish salt on pizza. ;)
(I'll eat your anchovies if you eat my eggplant. Deal?)

Dinner, as usual, still deciding. Leaning toward getting some fried oysters from the local Southern fried seafood place, making me an oyster Po Boy.... hmmm...

Don't knock the lowly anchovy, it really changes flavor when cooked into a dish!
Except pizza, remains a little chunk of fish salt on pizza. ;)
(I'll eat your anchovies if you eat my eggplant. Deal?)

Dinner, as usual, still deciding. Leaning toward getting some fried oysters from the local Southern fried seafood place, making me an oyster Po Boy.... hmmm...

Deal! Love eggplant. Can't get enough.

Nancy-MD

Well y'all are on a roll today - I love eggplant, anchovies, shrimp, london broil and fried oysters! I especially love fried oyster sandwiches. I'm making the rounds to everyone's house!

Today supper - chicken enchiladas and red beans & rice.

Attachments

• chicken enchiladas and red beans and rice 001.jpg
    chicken enchiladas and red beans and rice 001.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 145

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Looks good Nancy!

I didn't get any pics tonight. I made rib eyes on the grill, scalloped potatoes and green beans.

Norm

I was waiting to see if my son was going to do his baby back rib recipe but he said he'd do it tomorrow so I moved my plans up to today. They had lunch at about 4pm so dinner will be around 8 or 9. I plan to do a roasted chicken with mustard glaze, mashed potatoes, smoked salmon appetizer and a dessert with yogurt, honey, lemon zest and mint from the garden.

Embryodad

Just roughing it for supper today.
GD came here for lunch before she went back to school, and she wanted Mac and Cheese...
She said,"pops can you make it like Gram Does?"

I said,"I'll try!" She wanted small shells with the cheese...ok No Big Deal...she loved it, and said,"Gee pops, I like yours because you really make it super cheesy!" ((( Duh! I don't know what I did to do that!?!?" ....Hey! As long as she ate it.

For supper now, I really got away with manners and proper at the table (counter actually ).
I just had the leftover Mac and cheese...with Awesome Meat Balls my daughter dropped off this morning. they were awesome, and her sauce was a winner.
I had to laugh, because as I was chomping down, I looked and said,"holy Moley!' ...Looky Here!..Mold on my bread. LOL..I just cut it off like they do with the cheese in the deli..It was dry, but edible. a little penecillin won't hurt me.
Check it out...... ( Only because I'm Batchin it while DW is away )

8e3231af.jpg

I got a shot of the little mold flowers growing on the bread..
If DW was here...she would never allow that.:yuk:

5d1c549f.jpg

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
It's Monday so it's vegetarian for me....so I'm having spanish rice, made with tomatoes and peppers from the garden.
A nice glass of wine, too.

Nancy-MD

Thank you Guts and Mama.

Just roughing it for supper today.
GD came here for lunch before she went back to school, and she wanted Mac and Cheese...
She said,"pops can you make it like Gram Does?"

I said,"I'll try!" She wanted small shells with the cheese...ok No Big Deal...she loved it, and said,"Gee pops, I like yours because you really make it super cheesy!" ((( Duh! I don't know what I did to do that!?!?" ....Hey! As long as she ate it.

For supper now, I really got away with manners and proper at the table (counter actually ).
I just had the leftover Mac and cheese...with Awesome Meat Balls my daughter dropped off this morning. they were awesome, and her sauce was a winner.
I had to laugh, because as I was chomping down, I looked and said,"holy Moley!' ...Looky Here!..Mold on my bread. LOL..I just cut it off like they do with the cheese in the deli..It was dry, but edible. a little penecillin won't hurt me.
Check it out...... ( Only because I'm Batchin it while DW is away )

8e3231af.jpg

I got a shot of the little mold flowers growing on the bread..
If DW was here...she would never allow that.:yuk:

5d1c549f.jpg
I've been known to pick moldy spots off of bread too. I'm still livin'.
Your DD's meatballs look good! Glad your DGD like your shells and cheese.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
No time for pics as I needed to eat fast to get the lawn cut before the rains came...AGAIN! I picked up a stuffed chicken in lieu of a rotisserie chicken (they were out), and put it in the oven with mire poix, chicken stock and seasonings for a couple of hours while I went to do a small job. DW came home before me and made the gravy, and we had leftover potato salad from Sunday's dinner. We only ate half of the chicken, so we know what dinner will be tomorrow, but we'll drown the chicken in Sweet Baby Ray's sauce and finish the potato salad. Dessert was Moose Tracks ice cream for me, and peanut butter brownies for DW.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
jake rang my telly w/ an offer of sharing a pizza. so he was over. geez, barely got 1 cut in before i was stuffed! that pizza is good! they order it in @ the local bar & give it to us for dinner some nites. i've extras for late-nite noshing. sharlie babbit happily dined on my crust after she batted it about for a few

Attachments

• IMG_1364258.jpg
    IMG_1364258.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1365257.jpg
    IMG_1365257.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1371256.jpg
    IMG_1371256.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 132

Norm

The first picture turned out a little blurry but here is the roast chicken, mashed potatoes, salmon 'pizza'/appetizer and dessert: Greek yogurt with some sour cream and topped with honey, lemon zest, mint and walnuts.

DSCF3004.jpg
DSCF2996.jpg

DSCF3003.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Lots of new folks here since I have been gone - welcome to Norm, NancyMD and Emryodad. That pizza looks great, luvs. Hope you enjoyed it! Norm, I love the look of that yogurt!

I hauled out my old Ron Popeil rotisserie over the weekend and made two chickens on Saturday...we only ate one, so we had the other, cold from the fridge today, with a salad. Not really pic-worthy. But we did have some home made vanilla ice cream with raspberries, blueberries and blackberries on it. Definitely picturesque, but we had to eat it fast before it melted , it's so warm here today.

Carolina Cooking

oh oh I love that pizza. I am soooooooooo going to make that.

When I lived in Baltimore (area) I had lots of jewish friends & I have so many great recipes. Love the food.

One being 'how to eat bagels'. lol
fresh fresh bagel
cream cheese
loc's
sliced onion
sliced tomatoe
sliced munster.

:encore::encore:

Oh I plan on having that pizza soon. as soon as I sell something to afford the locs :yum::yum:

Oh & I am glad to see you are the bandwagon with us Greek Y lovers. I could eat it morning , noon & night ..

Last edited:

Carolina Cooking

Well y'all are on a roll today - I love eggplant, anchovies, shrimp, london broil and fried oysters! I especially love fried oyster sandwiches. I'm making the rounds to everyone's house!

Nancy sometimes I think we are the same page. I saw a great recipe on here for enchiladas last week & got the fix'ins :laugh:
I haven't made mine yet.

still working on that London broil..

Nancy-MD

The first picture turned out a little blurry but here is the roast chicken, mashed potatoes, salmon 'pizza'/appetizer and dessert: Greek yogurt with some sour cream and topped with honey, lemon zest, mint and walnuts.

DSCF3004.jpg
DSCF2996.jpg

DSCF3003.jpg
Nice dinner!
Lots of new folks here since I have been gone - welcome to Norm, NancyMD and Emryodad. That pizza looks great, luvs. Hope you enjoyed it! Norm, I love the look of that yogurt!

I hauled out my old Ron Popeil rotisserie over the weekend and made two chickens on Saturday...we only ate one, so we had the other, cold from the fridge today, with a salad. Not really pic-worthy. But we did have some home made vanilla ice cream with raspberries, blueberries and blackberries on it. Definitely picturesque, but we had to eat it fast before it melted , it's so warm here today.
Karen, I have a Showtime rotisserie too! I love that thing. I've made chickens, turkey breasts, whole hams, pork loins, and beef roasts in it and they turn out perfect every time. I don't have the rib attachment of I would have tried those too.
Nancy sometimes I think we are the same page. I saw a great recipe on here for enchiladas last week & got the fix'ins :laugh:
I haven't made mine yet.

still working on that London broil..
Ooooooo, I'll have to look that recipe up when I have some time and see how it differs from my recipe.
Of course we're on the same page, we were almost neighbors once but we just didn't know it! Ha!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

YUMMY Nan!! Please share the recipes!!

DSCF3004.jpg
DSCF2996.jpg

DSCF3003.jpg

Your dinner looks great Norm!! I was worried about you in KS. Lots of damage out your way. Glad your ok.

KAREN!! I have been missing you!! Glad you had a safe vacation.
At the time those rotisseries were popular we never got one. Now I wish I would have.

Carlolina Cooking, cookingirl and quickycookery are also newbies to our family.

My hub went out on errands yesterday late afternoon with the girls and he decided he wanted BK. So he brought home some chicken and rings. I ate 1/2 a chick sand. My loder girl and I had some chicken stir fry and rice late last night. No pictures.

Carolina Cooking

I saw 2 of them on Craigs list here in Charleston last week.
1 was $25.
the other one was $30.

I really wanted to reply to both but backed out. I did see Craig List Murder :shock:..

CL scares me to death. I don't know why I even lurk there.

before I knew better ,,, I did buy my chest freezer ( brand new) from there. $50. Lucky for me it was a nice young man & he even brought it to me.

Wal mart has them. Ronco's. I want one too. Then again I want everything :smile:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I saw 2 of them on Craigs list here in Charleston last week.
1 was $25.
the other one was $30.

I really wanted to reply to both but backed out. I did see Craig List Murder :shock:..

CL scares me to death. I don't know why I even lurk there.

before I knew better I did buy my chest freezer ( brand new) from there. $50. Lucky for me it was a nice young man & he even brought it to me.

Wal mart has them. Ronco's. I want one too. Then again I want everything :smile:
I have never been to CL or Walmart. LOL

Carolina Cooking

When I lived in Baltimore (area) I had lots of jewish friends & I have so many great recipes. Love the food.

fresh fresh bagel
cream cheese
loc's
sliced onion
sliced tomatoe
sliced munster.

Oh I plan on having that pizza soon. as soon as I sell something to afford the locs :yum::yum:

Oh & I am glad to see you are the bandwagon with us Greek Y lovers. I could eat it morning , noon & night ..

sorry another typ-o.. that would be LOX. why doesn't the edit stay on longer???:sad:

Norm

Peep, the weather here has not been too bad until this morning. It got really dark with loud thunder and lightening, and it rained very heavily. The street in front of my house looked like a river. It looks like it is blowing over now thought.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

fresh fresh bagel
cream cheese
loc's
sliced onion
sliced tomatoe
sliced munster.

luv me some pizza!~ :) i used to live in an area that was primarily kosher, & my good friend, she's jewish so i learned to luv many of the area's food items. i have lox in the fridge. mmmmm. and i gots a bag-o-bagels & maybe capers?

Norm, your pizza reminds me of Spago/Puck's appetizer pizza - (from memory) creamed cheese, dill, smoked salmon & topped w/ caviar. Looks delish.

Norm

The recipe I used is from Jaques Pepin. The recipe is at the site listed at the end of my post. It used a mixture of cream cheese and horseradish topped with red onions, smoked salmon, a few more onions, capers and cilantro. I didn't use as much horseradish as in the original recipe and I didn't have red onions so used yellow. I didn't have capers and my son does not like them anyway, so I chopped some dill pickle instead. I think cornichons would be even better than dills but I didn't have those either.

Both of them really liked it.

Nancy-MD

YUMMY Nan!! Please share the recipes!!

Thank you Peep.

Here's the recipe for the enchiladas.
Chicken Enchiladas:

Ingredients:

2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey (I poached 2 B/S chicken breasts)
1 cup chopped green bell pepper (I used 1/2 of a large green pepper)
1 pkg. (8oz.) cream cheese, cubed (I used 1/2 of a block (4 oz.) cream cheese)
1 jar (8oz.) salsa, divided (I used about 1/2 c. mixed in with the cream cheese)
8 (6 inch) flour tortillas (I used a package of 6 taco sized flour tortillas)
3/4 pound (12 oz) velveeta, pasturized process cheese spread, cut up
1/2 cup milk (I did not use the Velveeta and milk to make the sauce, I used a can of Old El Paso green enchilada sauce)

Stir chicken, bell pepper, cream cheese and 1/2 cup salsa in sausepan on low heat until cream cheese is melted. (Poached the chicken and while it was cooling, I put the cr. cheese, salsa and diced green peppers in a bowl and microwaved for 2 min. to melt everything. Then diced the chicken and mixed in.)

Spoon 1/3 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up. Place, seam-side down, in lightly greased 12x8-inch baking dish. (I used an 8x8 baking dish for 6 enchiladas. Divided the filling up in between the 6 tortillas.)

Stir process cheese spread and milk in sausepan on low heat until smooth. Pour sause over tortillas; cover with foil. (Didn't do this. Poured 1 can OEP enchilada sauce over tortillas and covered everything with about 2 c. shredded Mexican four blend cheese.)
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or u ntil thoroughly heated. Pour remaining salsa over tortillas. (Put salsa on the table if anyone wanted additional. I didn't.)

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

For the rice:

Made 1 c. brown rice and added 1/2 can of Great Value brand (Walmart) chili beans with sauce to the rice. Let most of the sauce go into the rice.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you Peep.

Here's the recipe for the enchiladas.
Chicken Enchiladas:

Ingredients:

2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey (I poached 2 B/S chicken breasts)
1 cup chopped green bell pepper (I used 1/2 of a large green pepper)
1 pkg. (8oz.) cream cheese, cubed (I used 1/2 of a block (4 oz.) cream cheese)
1 jar (8oz.) salsa, divided (I used about 1/2 c. mixed in with the cream cheese)
8 (6 inch) flour tortillas (I used a package of 6 taco sized flour tortillas)
3/4 pound (12 oz) velveeta, pasturized process cheese spread, cut up
1/2 cup milk (I did not use the Velveeta and milk to make the sauce, I used a can of Old El Paso green enchilada sauce)

Stir chicken, bell pepper, cream cheese and 1/2 cup salsa in sausepan on low heat until cream cheese is melted. (Poached the chicken and while it was cooling, I put the cr. cheese, salsa and diced green peppers in a bowl and microwaved for 2 min. to melt everything. Then diced the chicken and mixed in.)

Spoon 1/3 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up. Place, seam-side down, in lightly greased 12x8-inch baking dish. (I used an 8x8 baking dish for 6 enchiladas. Divided the filling up in between the 6 tortillas.)

Stir process cheese spread and milk in sausepan on low heat until smooth. Pour sause over tortillas; cover with foil. (Didn't do this. Poured 1 can OEP enchilada sauce over tortillas and covered everything with about 2 c. shredded Mexican four blend cheese.)
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or u ntil thoroughly heated. Pour remaining salsa over tortillas. (Put salsa on the table if anyone wanted additional. I didn't.)

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

For the rice:

Made 1 c. brown rice and added 1/2 can of Great Value brand (Walmart) chili beans with sauce to the rice. Let most of the sauce go into the rice.
Thank you Nan! The taco size tortillas are bigger?