Battered and fried green beans

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Went to a new restaurant in town and they offered Fried Green Beans on the menu. I read a review that they were wonderful, so I ordered them.

The reviewer was right!

Served with a ranch dressing.

Delicious! I shared this appetizer with a friend, but all four of us in our party wished we'd each had an order!

Lee

Attachments

• Fried green beans, Ferry St. Food and Drink.JPG
    Fried green beans, Ferry St. Food and Drink.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 193

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am going to try making them this summer with some of my garden beans.

Gonna use SilverSage's perfect tempura batter.

Lee

SilverSage's Tempura recipe (from ATK)

Here's the tempura batter I use. If memory serves me (and it doesn't always), I got it from America's Test Kitchen on PBS. It's the best I've ever had.

Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl, and all the wet in another. Don't combine them until right before you're ready to dip your food.

Dry:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch

Wet:
1 cup vodka
1 egg
1 cup seltzer

Fry very hot 385-400.

homecook

We used to get these all the time in restaurants here. I don't see them much on the menus any more. I'll have to try them at home now as I really like them.

Johnny West

I am going to try making them this summer with some of my garden beans.

Gonna use SilverSage's perfect tempura batter.

Lee

Here's the tempura batter I use. If memory serves me (and it doesn't always), I got it from America's Test Kitchen on PBS. It's the best I've ever had.

Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl, and all the wet in another. Don't combine them until right before you're ready to dip your food.

Dry:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch

Wet:
1 cup vodka
1 egg
1 cup seltzer

Fry very hot 385-400.

I love the sound of this and will try it with fingers of sea bass I caught last year.

They are shrink wrapped and look like the day I caught them but need to be eaten.

Thanks Lee. JW

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dad and I went back to Ferry St. so he could have $1 oysters on the half shell as an appetizer.

For dinner, we each ordered a burger (spectacular!) and we substituted the fried green beans for French fries. EXCELLENT decision!

I know this is a thread about the fried green beans, but I have to show you the inside of my burger, too - sooooo, good!

Lee

Attachments

• Burger and fried green beans.JPG
    Burger and fried green beans.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Burger in half.JPG
    Burger in half.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 115

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I didn't have many beans left in my garden, but I had enough to try battering them and frying them before I fried my cod.

I used the same tempura batter I used on my fish (SilverSage's wonderful recipe, see below), and though it was fine for the fish, it was a bit heavy for the beans.

But, I'll try it again with a thinner batter!

Lee

Dry:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch

Wet:
1 cup vodka
1 egg
1 cup seltzer

Fry very hot 385-400.

Attachments

• Fish, chips, fried wax beans.JPG
    Fish, chips, fried wax beans.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 106