Gadgets that take more time to do a job than just doing it by hand.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Have you ever bought or tried a gadget that takes longer to to do a job then just doing it by hand?

THIS item below is one of them!

Bought it, tried it and didn't like it at all!! It vibrates violently while in use, you have to babysit with it, hold it down or it'll fall of the countertop or table. and it doesn't get the eyes out of the potatoes.

You still have to remove those by hand with a potato peeler, so why even bother with this piece of junk anyway?!!! I threw it out with the trash! Money wasted!! :ohmy::piesmiley1::eating2: :wink:

Attachments

• Presto Potato Peeler..jpg
    Presto Potato Peeler..jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 305

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bummer, Sherm - I would have taken it off your hands!

One of my friends wants to make a potato soup, but she has arthritis in her hands and the idea of peeling potatoes is daunting to her.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Wish that I knew ahead of time! I'd have sent it to you.

It might still be available, but I think it was pulled from the store shelves because it was deemed as a safety hazard.

And I don't think that consumers warmed up too kindly to it, either!! :sad:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's yet another piece of junk!

Worked good for a while, then I found myself spending more money for replacement batteries that I did for the unit itself!!!

Bought another one, and THAT one didn't work at all!!

Found out that it and the vacuum seal bags used for it were pulled from the store shelves because of a design flaw!!

The piston pump inside is made from a cheap ^ flimsy plastic material, causing the thing to fail too prematurely!!! Rendering it useless & worthless!!! :yuk:

Attachments

• Reynolld's Handi-Vac..jpg
    Reynolld's Handi-Vac..jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 300

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here goes another piece of junk that I should have walked away from!!

It won't take whole potatoes! All of them had to be cut in half before being cut into fries!

Should have gotten the bigger one that looks like the ones used in restaurants!! It looks far better and sturdier!! :weber:

Attachments

• French fry cutter.jpg
    French fry cutter.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 279
  • French fry cutter 2.jpg
    French fry cutter 2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 329

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've ordered THIS one from Amazon.com. :piesmiley1::eating2:

Attachments

• Commercial French Fry Cutter.jpg
    Commercial French Fry Cutter.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 289

Guts

What size cutter did you get 3/8 -1/4 ? I have the quarter-inch one. I don't recall mine coming was suction cups though. I believe these models are made to be mounted on a vertical surface. It doesn't number of things but those double fried french fries Yum

Shermie

Site Supporter
It comes with both those sizes in cutting tools.

I mainly ordered it because I want to be able to make fries with one stroke, one shot, unlike with the small flimsy one above in the left pic, which forces you to cut the tater in half first before cutting the French fries. :piesmiley1::bbq:

Guts

Wow it comes with both size cutting tools. That's a great deal. If you slice a onion horizontally and then put it in your cutter you will have nice diced onions, real quick if you're making salsa or something that needs a lot of diced onion.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Very true, Guts & Chocolate Moose!

Yes, it comes with 2 different size cutters, Guts. :piesmiley1::eating2: :chef:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've ordered THIS one from Amazon.com. :piesmiley1::eating2:

it came today!!

Some assembly was required. The arm and the suction feet had to be assembled onto the unit.

Haven't used it yet. Maybe sometime this week!! :piesmiley1: :bonk: :wink:

Attachments

• Commercial French Fry Cutter.jpg
    Commercial French Fry Cutter.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 263

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'll use my knives over gadgets if given a choice. how much effort actually is put into slicing fries. or slicing an item. or shaping one. or molding one.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Too much if you cut your hands or fingers like I have!

On a cutting board, the knife can accidentally slip and cut your hands. When cutting them in your hand, if you put too much pressure on the knife, it can go through, but also into your skin, cutting your thumb!!

With this unit, one stroke - one shot is all that'd be needed to cut straight through one whole potato! They don't even have to be peeled, just washed thoroughly! With this thing, you can mass-produce enough French fries for an army of hungry children in record time, practically no time flat!! It is designed to help get your prep job done much quicker! :piesmiley1::eating2: :wink:

Guts

There are a couple reasons I like mine one being uniform shape and the other production time

Shermie

Site Supporter
There are a couple reasons I like mine one being uniform shape and the other production time

Also, it is very sturdy & heavy!

I wanted something that would be better than those bloody cheap and flimsy units, which force you to cut the taters in half first!!! :weber:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I had THIS gadget, plus a smaller one.

They were more of a bloody NUISENSE than a convenience, and they just wouldn't cut the veggies as that AS-Seen-On-TV commercial claims that they do!!

I just threw them both out this morning!! My knives arew far better than this piece of junk!!! :ohmy: :furious:

Attachments

• Vegetable gadget..jpg
    Vegetable gadget..jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 216
Last edited: