Boston Butt in Outdoor DO

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
After a little help from a few members here, I decided to do a 9 lb Boston Butt in the Outdoor DO. Thanks guys!!

Boston Butt in Outdoor DO

Ingredients

1 Boston Butt Pork Roast (9 lbs)
1 medium Onion, sliced or chopped
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 Cup Apple Juice
1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
Salt and Pepper to taste

2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup water

Dutch Oven: 10”
Coals: 22 – 10 Bottom, 12 Top
Cook Time: 4 hours

Procedure

Place pork roast in DO. Arrange onion around the sides. Pour liquid ingredients over it all. Season with Salt and Pepper if desired. Now cook undisturbed for 4 hours. You’ll have to add a new batch of coals every hour. I wanted an internal temp of at least 190 as that is when it begins to shred well. On a smoker, I’d try to run it up to 200 internal.

If your roast is smaller than 9 lbs, adjust your cooking time down. Check temp after 3 hours cook time. This is a fun recipe to throw on early and let in run unattended while you do other things.

Once done, remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes. Remove the roast to a large platter or container and shred. Next, take the liquid from the DO and pour into a pot or skillet. Make a slurry of the flour and water and add to the liquid. Bring to a boil and stir constantly until thickened.

Serve shredded meat with gravy on top. Use left over meat for many other things! The meat is great when heated in a skillet with a bit of your favorite BBQ sauce.

Notes

It was cold and windy here. Very windy, and it hurt the heat a bit. I ended up having to run this for 5 hours. At 4 hours in, the temp was dead-on 190, but the flesh was still firm and didn’t want to shred. So, one more hour.

Here is the roast.
Step1-19.jpg

It’s in the DO and ready for the coals.
Step2-14.jpg

When it’s finally done, here is how it looks. This roast was almost too big for my 10” DO. The top of the roast was really close to the lid, so the top heat browned it heavily. But that was mostly fat and a bit of skin which made a rather nice cook's treat (craklin!) when I trimmed it. That’s the cool thing about using Outdoor DOs. A regular DO in the oven is mainly braising, but outdoor DOs with charcoal for top and bottom heat actually give you some browning even though the lid is always closed.
Step3-12.jpg

Place in a large container and shred.
Step4-10.jpg

What a big bone this thing was hiding!
Step5-10.jpg

Make a gravy from the liquid.
Step6-5.jpg

Serve shredded meat with some gravy.
step7-5.jpg

Oh, and in the end, if you like, just plate everything as a “Date Plate” and share. This is what DW threw together while I was cleaning the DO.
Step9-1.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great idea, serving the shredded pork with a homestyle gravy! Love it, K!

Terrific pictures, too!

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
omg that looks good...i really need to get a dutch oven and the someone to show me how to use it..lol