What's Cooking, NCT? Sunday, 01/25 / Saturday, 01/31/2015.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Had leftovers this evening! :piesmiley1::eating2::bounce:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 96

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Peeps,

My chilli is way simpler than yours, although I am intreigued by your spice mix.

1# sweet Italian sausage
1# 90% or leaner chopped beef.
2 large cans of black beans
2 cans chunky style crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 large chopped onion
1 whole peeled russet potato
1/2 can water

Reasonable pinch of salt
Ground pepper
1 1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper

After simmering about 3 hours mush the potato and add a small can of tomato paste.

My chilli customers are not so into hot, but we do like a bit of a bang.

We serve it the same shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream.

Great on a cold day, great leftovers for snowy weather.

The potato takes the "tang" off the tomatoes.

Embryodad

I buy the 18 count boxes of Chili-O from Amazon!! LOVE IT! That's what mom used. McCormick just don't hit the spot (LOL bad grammar for bad product). I add my seasoning blend (I mix up a big batch of a bunch of spices in an adobo bottle it includes garlic and onion powder, accent, adobo seasoning, cayenne, hot Hungarian paprika and sweet Hungarian paprika, ground red pepper flakes, ground pepper and salt), chopped onion and green bell pepper when browning the meat. Then I add the chili-o, chili powder, cumin, ground chipotle pepper, ground ghost pepper, 2 - 3 small dried hot chili peppers and 2 mild chili peppers (nice and spicy), beans and crushed tomato simmer a bit and serve over brown rice topped with shredded cheddar, sour cream and scallion. YUM!

012912_chili_P1090359.jpg
Looks great peeps

For some reason, we bought the chil o mix in the jar, but it is NOT the same as the package foil packs. I get them from Amazon too.
Tina likes the chili thick, and I like it a little loose. ( juicy )
No big deal because I add boiling water to mine when I plate it.

Embryodad

Peeps,

My chilli is way simpler than yours, although I am intreigued by your spice mix.

1# sweet Italian sausage
1# 90% or leaner chopped beef.
2 large cans of black beans
2 cans chunky style crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 large chopped onion
1 whole peeled russet potato
1/2 can water

Reasonable pinch of salt
Ground pepper
1 1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper

After simmering about 3 hours mush the potato and add a small can of tomato paste.

My chilli customers are not so into hot, but we do like a bit of a bang.

We serve it the same shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream.

Great on a cold day, great leftovers for snowy weather.

The potato takes the "tang" off the tomatoes.
Sounds great!

I like the cheddar grated after a scoop of rice in the center, th th th then ( OK Porky ) some chopped onions over that! ....

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks, Embryodad!

That IS gravy - instant brown to be exact.
Didn't feel like making some from scratch, so I just made a little instant brown gravy.

I like it, to keep on hand for those times when I don't feel like doing it from scratch. Chicken was a little overcooked though, but I ate it anyway. :cooking::wow:

Embryodad

Thanks, Embryodad!

That IS gravy - instant brown to be exact.
Didn't feel like making some from scratch, so I just made a little instant brown gravy.

I like it, to keep on hand for those times when I don't feel like doing it from scratch. Chicken was a little overcooked though, but I ate it anyway. :cooking::wow:
I always said,"Some Day, (after procrastination ), I would love to make a big batch of Brown Gravy, and can and process it!"
Like around 6 to 8 pint jars, and steam pressure processed for bacteria safety, and just left on the shelf in the pantry (or under the bed ) for future use when needing gravy, but not having the time or right pan juices to make it.

Nothing as good as picking up some sliced roast beef at the deli, and making hot roast beef sandwiches, (double decker) with rich brown gravy floating all over the sandwich.
Even a hot ham sandwich sounds good! Ummmm!!....

Geeze, would you think I was a little hungry??..... Even after having Beef Stroganoff tonight with mashed potatoes and cauliflower.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I always said,"Some Day, (after procrastination ), I would love to make a big batch of Brown Gravy, and can and process it!"
Like around 6 to 8 pint jars, and steam pressure processed for bacteria safety, and just left on the shelf in the pantry (or under the bed ) for future use when needing gravy, but not having the time or right pan juices to make it.

Nothing as good as picking up some sliced roast beef at the deli, and making hot roast beef sandwiches, (double decker) with rich brown gravy floating all over the sandwich.
Even a hot ham sandwich sounds good! Ummmm!!....

Geeze, would you think I was a little hungry??..... Even after having Beef Stroganoff tonight with mashed potatoes and cauliflower.

I usually make gravy to go with most meats that I cook.
And it is usually made from pan juices or drippings. The brown particles in the bottom of the roaster, pan, drip pan in my Stovetop Kettle Smoker or one of my many skillets, adds to the flavor and enhancement to the gravy!

Here's and example. Made a smoked tenderloin a while back from the pan juices left in the smoker's drip pan. :weber: :blob_blue:

Attachments

• 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 95

Shermie

Site Supporter
Some more pics.

That was my very first time making a Ultimate Green Bean Casserole!! Something that I always wanted to do from scratch!! ;)

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 94
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 90
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 94

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Shermie, do you freeze garlic? I do. Anyhow, food looks amazing in this thread. Last night we had herb seared tenderloin with horseradish sauce, dino kale salad and proper baked potato. One of the best dinners ever!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks!

Yes I DO freeze garlic.

it is the only way that it will last. I buy it already peeled, because I absolutely HATE peeling it!

And since I get it in such a large quantity, I HAVE to freeze it, or otherwise it would spoil too rapidly if kept in the fridge too long. Doing it THIS way helps preserve it for very long periods!

I like to get it in the small tubs at the supermarket. If I run out, like I've already done, there's a Spanish convenience store around the corner from me that sells it already peeled in small snack bags. :WitchBrewsSmiley: :weber: :blob_blue:

But I DO ALSO have plenty of granulated garlic powder that I also like to keep on hand that I can also use, especially when there is no garlic cloves in the freezer.