Where Were You November 22, 1963?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Lucky has a trivia question concerning the date.
This is the month when our nation lost John F. Kennedy.

I was 3 years old.
I recall bits and pieces of it.
My Grandpa Geegee crying in his big leather easy chair the day it happened.
Mother watching As The World Turns when it got interrupted as Oswald was walking through then was shot himself by Jack Ruby, then Mother saying oh my God.
She was pulling my brother's loose tooth at the same time!
Then watching the funeral as they carried the President's body up the stairs of The Capitol.
Black Jack, the riderless horse.
Then finally that famous little salute.

How about you?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
In high school. In the hall between classes someone told us what had happened. Remember just sitting in the classroom no one saying anything.

Jim

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was 9 and was in my 4th grade class. The teacher had left the room, and when she returned, she was crying. She told us that the President had been shot, and that we would all be let out of school for the rest of the day, that our families would be called to pick us up.

I couldn't understand why the adults were crying. "But you didn't KNOW him", was what I said. I didn't yet understand that grief is multi-faceted.

My grandfather, a staunch and vocal Republican, was upset by the assassination. I said, "But I thought you HATED Kennedy". He answered that he hated some of Kennedy's policies, but was very sad that the President of our country was killed.

I learned a great deal about sadness and fear and worry that terrible day.

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I was only 3 also. What little I remember is mother and daddy being really upset, as well as some neighbors that were over and watching the TV with them in the den. I remember hiding behind an end table in the living room crying because i didn't understand what was happening for quite a while before somebody came looking for me.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was in grade school but was sick and stayed home from school that day. I had flu I think. I remember my mom screaming oh no and crying. Dad was working, brothers and sister were at school. We were all glued to the B&W TV the next few days non stop. I remember seeing Ruby shoot Oswald live. Seemed insane at the time. Still does in a way. CIA coverup in full swing.