Big Game Trapper

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I almost always have a trap set to get rid of the frickn' armadillos that are constantly tearing up the yard as they dig for grubs. I've caught squirrels, rabbits, possums, and even a red fox. Today I found my most unusual catch, about the size of small cats. These little siblings must have entered the trap paw in paw....

Attachments

• 100_1289.JPG
    100_1289.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 103

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here are three in my dumpster last winter trying to get warm. Notice the rum bottle by them. Makes it look like they are sleeping off a hell of a party. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 87

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
So what do you do with them after you catch all these creatures?

They are all catch and release (as opposed to certain undersized fish which are fillet and release) except for those bad boy armadillos who are sent off to swimming school.....

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good pics Buzz. They must've been racing to whatever bait you had in the trap. You got a two-fer!!! :clap:
I'm going to get some traps just like that to catch the squirrel(s) that was gnawing on my gas line.
I set up a trail cam and got a couple shots of a coyote passing thru at different times. Now those are some hard to catch critters. My neighbors hired some professional trappers to rid their place of coyotes. The trappers worked for two weeks and didn't catch a one of them.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Good pics Buzz. They must've been racing to whatever bait you had in the trap. You got a two-fer!!! :clap:
I'm going to get some traps just like that to catch the squirrel(s) that was gnawing on my gas line.
I set up a trail cam and got a couple shots of a coyote passing thru at different times. Now those are some hard to catch critters. My neighbors hired some professional trappers to rid their place of coyotes. The trappers worked for two weeks and didn't catch a one of them.

The bait of choice, believe it or not, is Mott's Cinnamon flavored Apple Sauce.

Coyotes are super smart and I've never had much luck trapping them. In North Dakota (back when pelts were bringing a good price) I used bring them in range from downwind with a rabbit call. They were dispatched with either a 222 or a 22-250. I have them in my neighborhood too and they've been causing quite a stir in SW FL the last couple of years. They've been taking small pet dogs right off of leashes while they were being walked. Spooky.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've trapped a lot of coons in a live catch trap like that, Buzz, but never 2 at a time! You get double points for that. BTW, I was told that they have a 10 mile homing instinct so you need to drive them at least 10 miles away before releasing. I take mine to a very ritzy area 11 miles from my house. I figure they have gourmet food to raid from the trash cans over there.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I feed about 5 ferrule cats and the coons that follow them. It is strange but coons and cats seem to travel and get along together just fine. Now you can't get near to any of them but when I put out the food dish in the morning they are a few feet away and waiting for me to get out of their way.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
If it were me, the coons would go for the same swimming lessons as the armadillo. They carry rabies and will be a problem for someone else if you relocate them. Also, check with your DNR regs to see if there is a penalty for relocating coons. Hate to see you get a fine just because you're trying to get rid of a problem. The sharks and crabs will take care of the carcass's.

My brother relocates coons that he catches. He has a heavily wooded spot about 50 miles from his home that he passes on his way downstate a couple times each week. Coyotes and fox he just dispatches with his .243 Win. He tried to relocate a red fox once and his van stunk so bad that he determined it wasn't worth the stench.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
If it were me, the coons would go for the same swimming lessons as the armadillo.

I understand you thoroughly but all I want to do is keep the armored ones from destroying my yard. Those buggers can really make a mess out of a lawn in a hurry.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
If it were me, the coons would go for the same swimming lessons as the armadillo. They carry rabies and will be a problem for someone else if you relocate them. Also, check with your DNR regs to see if there is a penalty for relocating coons. Hate to see you get a fine just because you're trying to get rid of a problem. The sharks and crabs will take care of the carcass's.
I know, I know. They are just so cute when they are in the traps! But they have crapped in my van during the relocation process and it was awful!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
this morning dh and i noticed a racoon living comfortably in a dog house with a blanket inside, in our backyard this morning. the dog house is an extra that we put in the yard for the cats when they are outside. don't know how long he's been staying there but he seems to be very friendly. Since he's not bothering anything i'll let him stay.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have one that has been coming around for 2 years now. He comes closer to me than the cats do though I sure don't want to get up close with him. He is bigger than my dog.