Did anybody catch the Mod Whine fest over on DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrillinFool

I saw that someone had hit my site from DC so I clicked the link to see from what thread. And sure enough there were the threads I started 4 months ago still at the top :yum:

But then there was a thread asking about why so many people were banned. Some mod put a link to another thread where s/he talked about banning people from "another cooking forum" who made comments about DC.

Talk about not knowing anything about customer service. The problem is not the people complaining. It's what they are complaining about. If people have to go to another site to complain about your site, fix the problem with your site.

But hey, in the end we have more people here and more discussion than we had over there anyway. I wish I could log in over there and delete my posts. That site doesn't deserve my content....

So three cheers for the new site!!!:beer:

The Tourist

Banned
The problem is not the people complaining. It's what they are complaining about. If people have to go to another site to complain about your site, fix the problem with your site.

I have a unique view on this, and yes, it gets me into trouble.

I believe forums are like restaurants. You like going to your favorites because of the experience, the service and the blend of people who also attend.

But there are millions of forums and tens of thousands of people who sign on. In fact, lots of people lurk. I have a few places where I lurk simply because it's like auditing an on-line college course.

Unfortunately things change. Most people do not cuss everyone and stomp out in a blaze of glory, they simply sign on less and less, and finally quit coming at all.

But for a finite group of forums, having your name attached implies you agree with the new procedures and values.

I have often used the analogy that your favorite saloon gets bought out by bigots, and people know you're a customer there. You get tarred because of your past attendance.

When that happens there's a simple fix. Ask the super-mod to ban you.

You're going to be leaving anyway, so it's best to show folks you disagree with the present political climate and discussions. Do it by PM, don't make a big deal about it.

Earlier this year I got a e-mail to my spam trap asking me to re-apply. I figured it couldn't hurt, so I went back to lurk. I decided that the place hadn't changed that much and asked for a second ban.

I view this as simply going up to the head waiter of a restaurant, expressing your polite displeasure and then leaving. No one can infer you agree with the future policies, and if things change, you can contact thesuper-mod to re-apply.

GrillinFool

I think that is a neat approach to it Tourist, thought provoking and well stated.

Yeah, that was probably better than my blaze of glory and essentially self banning!?!?

Still, I couldn't resist. That Mod was so full of himself and his so called power over there. It was a joke. And the best part is evidently they are over here boosting this site's hits trying to get dirt on those that post here and there. How sad.

So to the Mods from DC lurking here :wave: and :moon:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Speaking of which, they just changed the site skin over there. OMG! :puke1:

I’d self-ban over that new skin! :yum:

Oh, Lord !!! That is how I heard about this one, as I am (was??) on D/C and got my hands spanked for having the nerve to tell a certain lady who kept disagreeing, very authoritatively, with everything I said, "I was not speaking to you." A kind person over there wrote and told me I might like this one better. He does.

The D/C administrator and I had a 'discussion' and although he was initially quite ill with me, when I told him I had no problem leaving, he suddenly changed and asked me to try to stay, which I have, but then last night I couldnt get logged on and it said something about that an administrator might have me temp blocked.

I wrote them and asked and they said it was just a glitch. Who knows .... maybe they were just buying time to decide if I had committed another "Crime". If I did I dont know what it was.

This morning I got on there without a problem. I am not a contentious person at all, but I do hate having to be paranoid about every word I say. And since I am here with the very same name, if they are watching, then they may well be about to ban me, which is just as well.

Who would have thought that a love of food and cooking would involve so much drama over protection of position and power and territory ?? Not I.

Well, I am glad this place seems to be much more open. Thanks for letting me whine ..... hehe ....

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Welcome aboard DBTRS!!!! Have you made an Introduction post yet??? You'll love it here. Oh, and there is a new contest going on, so drag out your recipes!

New Contest

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Yes I saw the new skin, must be part of the upgrades Andy R. did for the site.

And if they are now trying to retain people and work with them, then that is great! I have a lot of friends over there, I hope it keeps changing for their sake.

babe

Yes I saw the new skin, must be part of the upgrades Andy R. did for the site.

And if they are now trying to retain people and work with them, then that is great! I have a lot of friends over there, I hope it keeps changing for their sake.

what is meaning of skin?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, this is a popular thread. Just checked who's online, and most members and three "Guests" are viewing. :biggrin:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
what is meaning of skin?

The look and feel of the forum. The colors, the links, the forums, etc.
Just take a look at DC and you will see what we mean. It used to look the same as this one as they were both made by VBulletin, but now looks completely different.

Hi, and Thank You. Actually, I dont think I have. Someone wrote me and said "Welcome, and Make an Introduction" and I was thinking that I did, but I now think I must have just made a private reply. Hopefully my cooking skills are better than my computer site ones .... hehe ....

Welcome aboard DBTRS!!!! Have you made an Introduction post yet??? You'll love it here. Oh, and there is a new contest going on, so drag out your recipes!

You may not want me to get started with the recipes .... sometimes I dont know when to quit.

New Contest[/quote]

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It used to look the same as this one as they were both made by VBulletin, but now looks completely different.

It looks kinda'.....I don't know......70's Betty Crocker style or something?

Nothing wrong with the 70s and Betty Crocker, just don't think it's a great choice for a site skin!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Hi, and Thank You. Actually, I dont think I have. Someone wrote me and said "Welcome, and Make an Introduction" and I was thinking that I did, but I now think I must have just made a private reply. Hopefully my cooking skills are better than my computer site ones .... hehe ....

You may not want me to get started with the recipes .... sometimes I dont know when to quit.

New Contest
[/quote]

"It's a good thing!":yum::yum:

Have at it, we have a contest for most recipes posted!

The Color thing on D/C must be undecided .... it has changed a couple of times .... earlier today it was kinda rich medium blue (easy to read) and just a bit ago it was Turquoise (much harder for me to read). They asked for opinions, but I assumed that didnt mean from me, only a certain few, so I didnt bless them with such.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
It looks kinda'.....I don't know......70's Betty Crocker style or something?

Nothing wrong with the 70s and Betty Crocker, just don't think it's a great choice for a site skin!

I like the idea, just not quite the colors... I also noticed the change in their motto, I don't think it is as creative and eye catching as the old one.

Maverick2272 said:
It used to look the same as this one as they were both made by VBulletin, but now looks completely different.

MAYBE THAT IS THEIR PURPOSE .... I dont know, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

suziquzie

wow... it looks like leave it to beavers' kitchen.....
striving for perfect...... in a stepford sorta way.....

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Probably, also access to new features. But, I think this thread is almost getting too popular!:yum::yum:

I need to go catch up on the recipes!! With this contest it has suddenly become a full time task looking thru them!

chowhound

Well ya got me curious.

eeewwwww. Those colors are horrendous, IMO.
And what's that new logo in the upper lefthand corner, a paddle?

:lol::lol::lol:

GrillinFool

I just went to the site from work. Looks like they banned my IP address. Guess they don't want any of the other 22K employees that work for my company to go to their site either. Maybe someone should enroll them in "running a message board 101"

And what kind of pot did they smoke while choosing the new skin?!?! It's horrendous.

RE: And what kind of pot did they smoke while choosing the new skin?!?! It's horrendous.

Apparently the kind that makes pale colors seem much brighter and easier to read. Unfortunately, I didnt smoke any of that, so it is so hard to read now that I wont even bother even if they dont ban me. It is now close to impossible for me to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.