anyone buy fresh beans

Carolina Cooking

coffee beans that is.
Grocery stores are out for me. those beans may be ages old. Not fresh at all.
I got some beans at Target of all places & now I think they must be really old.

I am not a fan of ordering online but may have too. Just to try something out.

I also got some Kenya AA, it was recommdened to me. Wasn't so hot. Kinda bitter. Had a funky dirt smell. Wasn't cheap either . $15. not even a lb 10oz. :bonk:My guess is it was old too. I do not like dark or black beans.

I am by far not a expert in coffee . I just like a smooth not bitter taste. Guess thats why I always go back to 8Oclock. I am just bored with it.

I even got a bag of DD. to $$$ & it wasn't even good. Old beans.

We have one Mall coffee place. Don't even go to the Mall & the coffee is rated very poor by CR. Gloria Jeans..

google here I come I guess. then just wing it.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
coffee beans that is.

I also got some Kenya AA, it was recommdened to me. Wasn't so hot. Kinda bitter. Had a funky dirt smell. Wasn't cheap either . $15.

LOL You caught me. I just returned home from the farmers market and I was thinking about green beans....

You might as well buy your coffee now and consider it an investment. Like all commodities the price will rise over time.

Attachments

• coffee.png
    coffee.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 178

Mr. Green Jeans

Our local Costco roasts right in the store. I could go there just to inhale. They beat the pants off everyone on coffee prices as well. We get the fresh roasted, set out a week's supply and put the rest in the freezer.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am REALLY lucky to have a coffee factory with a retail store in my area, Carolina!

http://www.newenglandcoffee.com/

I buy pounds of fresh beans from here. Cinnamon Sticky Bun is my absolute favorite flavored coffee, but I also like the Pumpkin and Blueberry flavors.

For non-flavored, New England Breakfast Blend is my favorite.

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I buy the whole beans pre-roasted, but I grind them immediately before brewing. I really think that the freshness of the grind is most important.

I have a coffee pot/grinder combination. Add water; add beans; push button. It grinds, then brews fresh.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I buy the whole beans pre-roasted, but I grind them immediately before brewing. I really think that the freshness of the grind is most important.

I have a coffee pot/grinder combination. Add water; add beans; push button. It grinds, then brews fresh.
I have the same kind of machine. Cusinart grind and brew scares the heck out of the cat when we hit the button.

Carolina Cooking

I have a cusinart grinder. I grind my beans fresh too. right before I put the fresh ground beans in my cusinart maker filter. However if the beans are not fresh or even good to me :oops:
I always have a stash of 8oclock beans so I am not out of beans .

Carolina Cooking

I am REALLY lucky to have a coffee factory with a retail store in my area, Carolina!

http://www.newenglandcoffee.com/

I buy pounds of fresh beans from here. Cinnamon Sticky Bun is my absolute favorite flavored coffee, but I also like the Pumpkin and Blueberry flavors.

For non-flavored, New England Breakfast Blend is my favorite.

Lee

this brand is in several stores here. Including Wal mart. But not that oh so yummy Cinnamon Bun.believe me I have spent $20 in gas just going from store to store. I should have ordered it lol

Calicolady

I used to use Brown Gold. Can't get it now and all the preground either tastes too bitter or too mild except, suprisingly, Great Value 100% Columbian. I think they call it "medium dark". Straight down the middle is perfect for me. :thumb:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Why do you think the beans are old?? Coffee moves pretty quickly off the shelves in most markets. If the average person makes 2 cups per day they'll go through a # of beans within two weeks.
The only way to guarantee that it's as fresh as possible is to buy directly from the manufacturer; but that's no guarantee that you are getting coffee beans right out of the roaster. They'll also rotate their stock. I doubt anything is older than a couple of months old on a shelf. If it's in a vacuum sealed package, that's as good as fresh.

Phiddlechik

The beans might be fresh, but I've never seen the bins emptied for cleaning. Maybe they do that at night when nobody is watching. The residue left inside them can adversely affect the fresh beans. Maybe one could ask at the service counter how often the bins are cleaned to get a better idea.

Carolina Cooking

The beans might be fresh, but I've never seen the bins emptied for cleaning. Maybe they do that at night when nobody is watching. The residue left inside them can adversely affect the fresh beans. Maybe one could ask at the service counter how often the bins are cleaned to get a better idea.

I see only bags of whole beans. No bins. :sad: thats what I have settle for. Manager at publix says they have no idea how old they are. I could drive 45 minutes over to TJoes. Seems along way to go for coffee tho lol. cept I would buy more then coffee.

Last edited: