Please say a prayer for my Dad.

buckytom

Grill Master
my dad had a minor stroke yesterday, and i'm waiting this morning to find out the results of some tests. so far, all we know is that he's blind.

actually, he had the stroke a few days ago, but he just toughed out the headaches until he couldn't take it anymore, and then finally lost his sight.

thanks for any prayers or good energy you can send his way. he's been a great dad and my hero for all of my life.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
BT, I'm sorry to hear this. Your faith will help you and your family throught he challenges ahead.

I'm adding my good thoughts to the others.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You got it Tom. Good thoughts and prayers on the way.
Us guys can be to dang hard headed when we should go for professional help. I hope they can help your dad recover quickly.
Does he live close by?
My dad lived 2 hours away when he had a stroke, but I was in San Francisco that week on a work trip. That was the hardest to be so far away and have to hear the progress over the phone.
Best wishes buddy!

buckytom

Grill Master
thnaks very much everyone. still no news yet. :sad:

doc, that must have been tough because of the helplessness.

my dad's about an hour and a half away, down the jersey shore. ok, that's 3 hours or more on fridays and sundays, but 90 minutes the rest of the week.

fortunately, i have 2 weeks of vacation coming up, then 2 weeks of midnight shifts in august, so i'll be available to do whatever is needed.

thanks again, everyone.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tom, I'm sending all kinds of positve and healing thoughts to your dad and to you!

I have a good feeling about this! Feels like he's going be okay!

Lee

Meme4251

So sorry to hear about your dad, BT...:sad:Do keep us posted on how he is doing....Many prayers coming your way for all of you....Meme/sh

Biskit

Pullin' and prayin' for your dad, Bucky, and your family as you deal with this.

My PM box is always open.

buckytom

Grill Master
once again, my heartfelt thanks to everyone.

still no news yet. we're awaiting results of last night's mra to see where the blockage is in his brain.

Sending positive thoughts your way. This is a sensitive/sore topic for me. I get choked up remembering my father's circumstances. Tears still come to my eyes. I don't want to come across as negative, but there is a point to this story. My family/folks were 3000 miles away. According to my stepmother, my father survived the first stroke, but not the second. He was only in his 70s. "It happened very quickly, & they removed half of his brain." She was beyond hysterical, I couldn't differentiate between the facts & her emotional state. Noone called me until after the fact. If I had been closer (geographically), I would have been at the hospital, not receiving the news via phone, or making phone calls. I lost my brother almost the same way - except I was on a plane to NY as soon as I heard, & was the last person to see him before he passed. The point... Try to see him, even if it's a few hours away. Of course, we always hope/pray for the best, but you never know.

Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks mini, mama, and cc.

cc, i completely understand and have been ready to drive down there on a minutes notice. but right now, my mom asked that we just let my brother, the eldest in my family, handle things. i kinda freaked out my sil (his wife, i have only 1 bro), the other day. she tends to turn all conversations into something about her, so after listening to stories about her dad, and how old men just refuse to lift their feet, or use a cane or walker, and so on and so on about her opinions, i got angry when she finally got around to explaining how my dad had to spend the first night on a stretcher in the hallway, and wasn't seen by a doctor for almost 24hours.

well, i know my family, and they would patiently wait their time in mile long lines (behind people who are obviously abusing the system) because it's just right to follow the rules.

i angrily explained that sometimes you have to become a pushy pain in the ass to get what you need, screw everyone who's there because it's how they get to spend the night getting free aspirin, free food, and a clean, air conditioned bed. (before you get on me about this, understand that i have a friends who are emt's and ambulance dispatchers in newark, and they say it's unbelievable and disgusting how people abuse free healthcare. but that's another thread.)

i hope this isn't a glimpse into things that may come in the future,

anyway, still no news. i couldn't reach my sisters last night, so i'm going to try again in a little while. if there's any bad news at all, i'll be on my way down tonight.

if my parents are home, i'll go on moday afternoon.

keep your fingers crossed.
oh, and thanks.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Sending positive energies your way, BT. I'm sorry that things are so complicated by family relationships, but it seems that there is no avoiding that sometimes. Hope you can get there and inject some clear-minded sanity into what's going on - I'm sure you won't rest until you have seen for yourself what is happening. I'll be thinking of you this weekend as you do what you have to do.

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks tg, sk, karen, and dee.

well, i finally spoke to my mom on a brief respite from the hospital. he'll be going home on monday if they can get his blood pressure under control.

i'm gonna call the hospital tomorrow to speak to his docs to make sure the three docs (gp, neurologist, cardiologist) are coordinating the drugs they are changing him to. dw went through hell every few years with her mom regarding medicines, catching mistakes a few times that would have killed her. she was even released from the hospital with severe sepsis that a doc signed off on, so i've learned you have to watch overworked hospital caregivers like a hawk.

he has gotten some sight back in one eye, but is blind in the other from a retinal occlusion. unfortunately, it means he'll never drive again, but hopefully he'l get enough sight back to be able to read.

on the bright side, it wasn't such a severe stroke that he'll require any kind of physical therapy. he's not out of the woods yet, but at least things are stable for now.

again, my thanks to all who've posted with good thoughts and well wishes.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I just saw this Tom. I am so sorry to read about your dad. I hope things turn out well in the end. You have my good thoughts and prayers. Hang in there!

Meme4251

BT, so glad to hear your dad is doing somewhat better and the stroke wasn't as severe as it could have been....I'm always glad to hear some positive considering what he went thru....Thinking and saying my decade of rosary each and every night w/him on my prayer list....Best to you and your family...:flowers:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oh, Tom, I am so glad to hear that your dad is coming home, but heartbroken to hear this scary thing has happened. I will pray that enough of his vision is restored that he can go back to his normal life. (I'm so glad he hasn't suffered other physical impairment.)

You are so right about hospitals. I am grateful for good medical care, but a hospital is a dangerous place for sick people, if you know what I mean. I will pray for your dad and your mom and the rest of your family everyday. Please update us whenever you have news.