4 sprigs Fresh Thyme
8 oz whole Portobello Mushrooms
8 oz Baby Carrots
1 cup flour
Salt & Pepper
2 Tbsp Oil
Optional: chopped Onion or Shallots, and chopped Garlic

Outdoor DO: 10”
Coals: 22 – 10 bottom, 12 Top (2 batches)
Cook Time: 2 Hours

Procedure

In a large bowl, mix the flour with Salt and Pepper to taste (about 1 Tbsp each). Wet the ribs in water, then roll in the flour to coat. Set aside. The flour on the ribs will help to thicken the sauce later.

Start your first batch of coals and set the DO in place. Add oil and let it heat for 10 minutes. Now add the ribs and let brown for 8 minutes on one side. Flip the ribs and let cook another 10 minutes.

Now add the wine and beef broth. Let cook 10 minutes.

Add the carrots, mushrooms and thyme (also add onion, shallot, and garlic if you’re using it). Stir and let cook. As this is cooking, start your next batch of coals (about 15 minutes). Once the coals are ready, open the DO and stir to give all the ingredients one final mixing. Cover and then replace the spent coals with the fresh batch. Let cook undisturbed for 1 to 1.25 hours. After that time, remove coals and set the DO aside. Allow to sit 5-10 minutes.

Open DO and plate Ribs and veggies over rice. Enjoy. If camping, this is easiest eaten out of a bowl with rice in the bottom.

The Beef Short Ribs.
Step_1-69.jpg

Coat the Ribs in Flour.
Step_2-68.jpg

Brown the flour coated ribs in a little oil in the DO.
Step_3-61.jpg

Ribs are browned.
Step_4-56.jpg

Add the Beef Broth and Red Wine (Merlot).
Step_5-49.jpg

The final ingredients: Fresh Thyme, Portobello Mushrooms, and Baby Carrots.
Step_6-43.jpg

Everything in the DO and ready for a 1 hour simmer.
Step_7-34.jpg

It’s done.
Step_8-25.jpg

Plate and enjoy.
Step_9-20.jpg

Step_9a-9.jpg

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm also a big fan of short ribs though I usually make mine either slow braising in a slow cooker or on the stove. The last two times I've actually nailed it in a pressure cooker also. This looks great to me and they turned out perfectly based on the pictures.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
A great thing to do with the left over juice from this recipe – save it. It keeps for 2 days or so easily, maybe longer. Then on your next meal, make a roux with oil and flour. Add the juice and veggies. You may need to add more beef broth depending on your roux and how much juice you have left. This makes a great gravy for your mashed potatoes - such great flavor! :thumb: