Best way to keep blueberries fresh?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've just washed them and am letting them drain in a colander.

Now what?

Put them in the fridge in an open? closed? container? Keep them in the colander?

Lee

thegrindre

They freeze. Ziplock.
How long are you wanting to keep them?
They have their own skin so any condition in the fridge for a few days is harmless.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
They freeze. Ziplock.
How long are you wanting to keep them?
They have their own skin so any condition in the fridge for a few days is harmless.

Rick,

I want to keep them for a week or more, putting them on my cereal.

I don't want to freeze them (the idea is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, or mistakenly chewing on a sliver of aluminum foil).

Lee

thegrindre

Eeeeeeks! What analogies!!!

You've probably seen my little Pyrex bowls with a snap on lids. I keep fresh fruit in them for days and days at a time.
You shouldn't have any troubles keeping blueberries in a closed container in the fridge for a week.
I'd put them up dry, though.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I read in my Cook's Illustrated cookbook that you should wash berries in a vinegar bath (1 cup vinegar and 3 cups water), spin them dry in a salad spinner lined with paper towels and then store the berries in a container lined with paper towels in the fridge with the lid cracked so that any leftover moisture can escape.

Washing them in the vinegar will kill any bacteria and/or mold spores that might be on the berries and you'll be able to keep them fresh longer in the fridge.

Moxie

If you have a Food Saver with a storage container, use that. I've kept them for nearly 2 weeks. Don't wash before storing.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
All good ideas! I will try some this summer and see what works best for me.

Thanks, all!

Lee

thegrindre

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention to not wash them if you're going to put them up. Only wash the ones you're gonna use immediately.

:)

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
best way i have found is to spread them out on newspaper in the fruit/veggie drawer. To keep long term I flash freeze on cookie sheets and then bag in ziplocs. I have also found my belly is an excellent place to store them.:yum::yum: