1/2 cup water

You'll also need:
3 Large Vidalia Onions
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
1 cup of shredded cheese
8 hot dogs
8 hot dog buns

In a large skillet, caramelize the onions over medium low heat in the butter and olive oil. Remove from pan. Set aside.

In the same skillet, brown the ground beef, onion and green pepper. Drain and return to pan. Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire Sauce and water. Stir well, cover, reduce heat and cook 20 minutes.

Cook your hot dogs. You can cook you hot dogs whatever way is your favorite but I like to grill mine. (You could even put them in with the sloppy sauce while it cooks)

Lightly butter your hot dog buns and place them under the broiler in your oven or on your grill until they are a nice golden brown.

Place a hot dog in each bun. Cover with sloppy sauce, sprinkle with shredded cheese and top with caramelized onions.

Last edited:

Jeff G.

P6110609.jpg

For the sloppy sauce:
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup water

You'll also need:
3 Large Vidalia Onions
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
1 cup of shredded cheese
8 hot dogs
8 hot dog buns

In a large skillet, caramelize the onions over medium low heat in the butter and olive oil. Remove from pan. Set aside.

In the same skillet, brown the ground beef, onion and green pepper. Drain and return to pan. Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire Sauce and water. Stir well, cover, reduce heat and cook 20 minutes.

Cook your hot dogs. You can cook you hot dogs whatever way is your favorite but I like to grill mine. (You could even put them in with the sloppy sauce while it cooks)

Lightly butter your hot dog buns and place them under the broiler in your oven or on your grill until they are a nice golden brown.

Place a hot dog in each bun. Cover with sloppy sauce, sprinkle with shredded cheese and top with caramelized onions.

This recipe is very close to what we used to make at our restaurant for Saturdays. Saturday was Coney day!!
We didn't use the mustard, we used apple cider vinegar. I have no idea the proportions, we cooked to taste. We made them so they had a sweet/sour bite. People flocked in to get them. Oh.. we served with raw onion which I still prefer. (and most would put a touch of mustard on top).

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
WOW! Awesome recipe Mama!!!!!! I can't wait to try it.
I like your twist on it to Jeff. I'll have to try it both ways. :D