Beer Fights Cancer

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Beer Fights Cancer

Hope this is true :beer:

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 8:17 AM

By: Sylvia Booth Hubbard

Researchers are always looking for the magic bullet to kill cancer, and now they may have found it in a surprising place – a glass of beer! (Who knew?) It turns out that hops, which is the flavor component of beer, contains a cancer-fighting compound called xanthohumol.

Xanthohumol turns out to be toxic to several kinds of human cancer, including prostate, ovarian, breast, and colon. Further, it inhibits enzymes that can activate the development of cancer, and also helps detoxify carcinogens. It even seems to slow down tumor growth in the early stages. Scientists are trying to produce hops that contain even more xanthohumol, and the Germans are racing to develop a “health” beer.

But wait – there’s more! Other compounds in hops are potent phytoestrogens which may help with post-menopausal hot flashes and also prevent osteoporosis.

Beers that provide the most benefits contain the most hops, and include strong brews such as ale, stout, and porter. In general, the darker the beer, the better. For those who can’t stand beer, herbal supplements made from hops contain the highest concentrations of beneficial elements.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Best news I've heard all day. I'm slipping out of work today to go tip a few and watch some of the NCAA tourney.
I'm glad to hear I'm preventing cancer cells while I'm at it. :thumb: :beer: :beer: :D