Boston Tripe

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking that this is not going to be a recipe that anyone but me is going to try. But you never know! LOL!

I am going to cut it in half, and I am not going to use whole cloves in my onion (yuck).

Lee

Boston Tripe

(adapted from the NY Times New England Heritage Cookbook)

2 pounds honeycomb tripe
1 onion, studded with two whole cloves
2 sprigs of fresh thyme, or ½ teas dried
1 bay leaf
1 carrot, quartered
12 peppercorns
1 ½ T Dijon mustard
3 T veg oil
1 teas Worcestershire sauce
1 T wine vinegar
dash Tabasco
2 cups soft breadcrumbs

Cut tripe into large squares, about 4 x 4 inches

Place tripe in a pot and add water to about 1 inch above the tripe. Add onion, thyme, bay leaf, carrot, the peppercorns, some salt. Bring to boil and simmer until tripe is tender, 2-3 hours. Drain. When cool, pat dry with paper towels.

Preheat oven to 425. Sprinkle tripe with salt and pepper.

Combine the mustard, oil, Worcestershire, vinegar and Tabasco.

Dip the pieces of tripe into the mixture, then dip each piece into the breadcrumbs.

Arrange the coated pieces of tripe in a greased baking pan. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, until the crumbs are crisp and brown.

Serve with Dijon mustard on the side.

Yield: 4-6 servings

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
1st time i've heard of cooking tripe in this manner, lee. i luvvvvvv tripe! odiferous throu the cooking , yep, though oh, so good when placed into a good soup!

i froze some tripe rather than making as i figured i should let the locals know i'd be cooking that & that i wasn't gonna be making filet, lol, so get ready 4 the odor of :shitHitsFan:hehe

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I love tripe. As a matter of fact, I have a can of Menudo in the pantry that someone just gave me. Waiting for a cooler day to make it for lunch. DW wants no part of tripe...purely a psych thingy from her upbringing.