For Silver Sage

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Silver Sage, I cannot thank you enough for all the hard work and assistance you provided to Lou and I at Red Gravy and with this shiny new computer here at home.
My cry for help was more rhetorical than serious yet you jumped to your feet and offered to fit in where ever possible, in whatever capacity. Your risotto, soon to be arancini and your short ribs ragu were huge successes. I knew your cooking skills were never an issue. Your ability to blend with my staff, never having worked in a professional kitchen prior, is a testimonial to your ability and your generous good nature.
My biggest regret is that the very reason you visited is precisely what prevented us from actually have a normal visit. Working 18 hour days is something I, alone, signed on for. Your generosity will always be remembered.
Please come to visit again. I'd love to show you New Orleans without benefit of grease, grime, cut thumbs, blistered fingers and burnt arms.
You are a special person. I am honoured to call you a friend.

Roseann

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awwwwwwww, that is so cool!!!

I wish we could have had a video of SS and VB working side-by-side during Mardi Gras!!

And I wish I could have an arancini!!!

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
LOL! Vera spilled the beans. I wasn't going to say anything.

I had great fun, I got to do a little of everything from prep, to cook, to serve, to bus, to hawk street food, to enter data into the computer. I even dragged Andy into the fun when I called him for advice hooking up her new computer. (Thanks so much for your help, Andy).

I was there for her birthday, and I took a picture of VB taking a picture of her cake.:bdaycake:

Lou is delightful, gracious, and hot! I think he knows what a gem he has in Vera, and if he ever forgets it, I'll come knock him clear into next Sunday!

I'm sorry I bugged out before the end, but with Dedrich and Ashley coming on board in the last days, you now seemed to have all the help you needed to get through Mardi Gras.

Just so no one misunderstands, this was not all one sided. I learned a LOT! The most important thing I learned is that I never want to own a restaurant! I'll just eat in them.

Unfortunately, I didn't take very many pics. We were usually too busy to stop and pose. You've all seen pics of Red Gravy, but I wish I had stopped and taken pics of the beautiful food. Unfortunately, the pace in the kitchen is such that you just can't stop for pictures when the customers are waiting for their plates. Maybe if I can go back during a slower time I can shoot the food pics.

The food at Red Gravy is exquisite! :readytoeat: If anyone gets a chance, go! Vb is a phenomenal chef, and Red Gravy will be a force to be reckoned with in New Orleans.

Attachments

• nola uncle des 013.jpg
    nola uncle des 013.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 126

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Awww, that was really sweet of you SS! It sounds like Red Gravy is becoming a HUGE success!!!!!! Congratulations VB and Lou!!!!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Lou and I both have swollen ankles. He injured himself 'doing something foolish' jumping like a kid for a great throw from one of the floats. Most of the krewes throw neat stuff in addition to beads. Those 'throws' can be anything from go-cups, footballs, dubloons, frisbes, stuffed animals, spears, light up things, etc. A krewe member held up a swirly lighted thing and tossed it into the crowd. Lou jumped for it, landed wrong and almost broke an ankle. tsk tsk tsk....a grown man....doing something foolish....
All that standing around on a hard concrete floor in the kitchen doesn't help, either.
So, today it's Ash Wednesday. Yesterday, while the rest of America had a normal business day, it was bigger than christmas down here. Instead of having one christmas eve and then christmas day, the days leading up to Mardi Gras are like 8 christmas eves and then christmas day off the charts.
Amazing.
I've never felt so old and rickety as I do right now.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well....at least it sounds as though you and Lou can hobble arm-in-arm all the way to the bank :w00t:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhh what great news. Kudos to you SS. :clap: :clap: :clap: :tiphat: What fun that would be to visit and really get into the flow and work of the place for a few days. Awesome. And you were there for Mardi Gra!!! What fun that must have been. I bet Red Gravy was busy as ever, least it sure sounds like it was from what you guys posted.

Vera, sorry to hear about Lou's ankle and yours from the concrete. On one of my other forums we got to talking about what you can use in a workshop to ease the strain of standing on concrete for long period and ....we came up with a dang good solution. Those horse pads that tractor supply and places like that sell are 3/4 to 1 inch thick rubber that come in 4x6 ft sheets. They are very heavy but very durable. If they would be allowed in the kitchen they would sure ease your leg and back strain. they could be cut to fit if you wanted to cover the whole floor, and they are not that expensive. They seem to be a clean rubber but I understand places where food prep is going on have special requirements ...

Leni

Vera can buy pads like that designed for the kitchen at a restaurant supply place. We have a good one here in the Valley, Star Restaurant Supply and I'm going to get one of them for my kitchen. A friend had a catering business for many years and she used them. That's how I found out about them.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
They're called fatigue mats and most professional kitchens have them...just got a small one today for my area. I have to get more for the other work stations, too....