Dealing with my Diabetes

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Several members knew from the beginning that I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes in February 2010. Thats why I was so down in the dumps, not cooking/posting much. Well it has been 6 months and I would like to share my Report card so to speak with you all. If you don't mind.

Initial results February 2010 - most recent results June 2010

A1C from 11 to 6.4
Blood Sugar from 289 to 128
Cholesterol from 261 to 123
Triglycerides from 260 to 84
LDL (Bad fats – lower is better) from 167 to 62
HDL (Good fats –higher is better) from 42 to 44

I am dealing with dehydration and my Doctor is keeping an eye on/doing tests on my kidney and liver functions.

buckytom

Grill Master
wtg, peeps!!! :applause:

i hope you continue to beat it and keep posting pics of your great cooking. i look forward to it everyday.

and the dumps ain't no place to be cooking, anyway. :mrgreen:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
wtg, peeps!!! :applause:

i hope you continue to beat it and keep posting pics of your great cooking. i look forward to it everyday.

and the dumps ain't no place to be cooking, anyway. :mrgreen:
Thank you Bucky!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Wow, peeps, you have obviously figured out how to maintain your regimen and still cook (and I hope, eat) delicious food. I know that is not as easy as it looks, so I heartily congratulate you.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Wow, peeps, you have obviously figured out how to maintain your regimen and still cook (and I hope, eat) delicious food. I know that is not as easy as it looks, so I heartily congratulate you.
Thank you Karen!! But tonight due to not feeling so good, back and joint pain and lack of sleep my daughter is cooking. Not a very healthy meal for a diabetic but all I have had today is breakfast which was shaved turkey breast, lettuce, mayo on whole wheat bread at 8:30 AM. I have to take pills 4 times a day with meals and a late snack, but I only had 1 meal (I am supposed to eat something whether a meal or snack every 2 -3 hours which helps give the sugar something to work on and not build up in the blood) and 1 set of pills. I am not feeling so good and that may be part of it.

Shes making the New Kraft Mac and cheese in the bag. I told her to add peas and tuna to it. It will have to do for now because MY ASS is a draggin' LOL.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
BTW I think I need to do a virus scan because I think I caught what you had!! LOL

mhend

Thank you Karen!! But tonight due to not feeling so good, back and joint pain and lack of sleep my daughter is cooking. Not a very healthy meal for a diabetic but all I have had today is breakfast which was shaved turkey breast, lettuce, mayo on whole wheat bread at 8:30 AM. I have to take pills 4 times a day with meals and a late snack, but I only had 1 meal (I am supposed to eat something whether a meal or snack every 2 -3 hours which helps give the sugar something to work on and not build up in the blood) and 1 set of pills. I am not feeling so good and that may be part of it.

Shes making the New Kraft Mac and cheese in the bag. I told her to add peas and tuna to it. It will have to do for now because MY ASS is a draggin' LOL.

Hope you feel better, Peeps. :flowers:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Big improvement in your numbers, Peepsie. Congratulations. I know it isn't easy for you.

Wart

Banned
Initial results February 2010 - most recent results June 2010

A1C from 11 to 6.4
Blood Sugar from 289 to 128
Cholesterol from 261 to 123
Triglycerides from 260 to 84
LDL (Bad fats – lower is better) from 167 to 62
HDL (Good fats –higher is better) from 42 to 44

WTG Peeps,

Glad I don't have your FBS, I wish I had your Cholesterol.

...I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes in February 2010. Thats why I was so down in the dumps, not cooking/posting much.

Were you down in the dumps because of the diagnosis or because of the diabetes?

When my Type 2 was diagnosed I was relieved because it explained many years of problems.

... But tonight due to not feeling so good, back and joint pain and lack of sleep

Add to that my waking most days feeling as though something was going to crash through the roof and land on me ... some days something pretty massive .... and I know exactly how you feel. :tiphat:

my daughter is cooking. Not a very healthy meal for a diabetic but all I have had today is

The hell of it is, is nutrients are somewhat retroactive, calories aren't.

I went out and worked a hay wagon for 5 hours on an egg sandwich, a banana and dilute Gatorade. Does not mean I can come home and eat 3,000 calories. I had to eat to replace my reserves of nutrients/ amino acids/ to keep my body from eating itself even more while keeping the calorie count low.

Then I spent the rest of the night staring at the fridge and salivating. It SUCKS!!! LMAO!!!!

Oh well.

(I am supposed to eat something whether a meal or snack every 2 -3 hours which helps give the sugar something to work on and not build up in the blood)

?

I think you have that backwards, eating is sugar.

Shes making the New Kraft Mac and cheese in the bag.

:barf:

I told her to add peas and tuna to it. It will have to do for now because MY ASS is a draggin' LOL.

Funny how that works. Now when I eat I can feel the energy and life spreading through my body. Before ... well, before was before.

I use to be able to take care of hte hungries with chips or a candy bar. No more. My bodies readjusted to want real food and is no longer happy or able to be fooled with fats or sugars.

>>>

My oldest friend is Type 1 and has been on the needle for 40+ years, and a few things he has shared with me .. he's shared some of these things for 40 years and I didn't 'get it' till about 3 months ago ...

1) Sugar is just a number. Something like the temperature of the human body. We all know it's "suppose to be" 98.6 deg F, but we all also know that some peoples normal temp is higher and others is lower. 98.6 is just a number to measure against.

Same with glucose. 80-120 is "normal" with 100 being the 98.6. Wife and I went to the fair, split a meal, split a lemon aid or two (I restricted myself) and about 6 hours later came across a 'glucose screening' booth. Wife was 96, I was 126. I told the person in the booth I would know this tomorrow, person in hte booth said I would be fine, bringing up point 2.

2) The Medicos don't know a whole lot about diabetes nor do they want to listen. Of course there are exceptions but overall I have found his statement to be somewhat true. I told the person in hte booth I would "feel it" the next day. I may wake with a slight body ache or slight depression, depending on how much I consumed in the next couple of hours. I never said I wouldn't be 'fine'.

When I told the nurse at the doctors office I was checking my sugars 4-6 times a day she insisted I only needed to check it twice a day. If I had been checking my sugars only twice a day I wouldn't know I have to stay away from oats because my body seems to process it immediately and give me a 80+ (++) point bump in glucose, but I can chow down on (my home made) bread, and pasta, and not worry about it too much.

More than once I have found myself having to make the choice between wearing a stupid smile and bobble heading or make my point or get an answer.

3) Many with the diabetic condition don't take care of themselves. This point has sub sets. (A,B, ...) My Grandfather had Type 1 and died in his 50's because he didn't take care of himself. My oldest friends (Eric) father denied my friend had the condition, no child of his could be diabetic (interesting family dynamic). While at the above mentioned fair there was a vendor trying to push something on wife, then on me, I said I'm Type 2, would be fun but I can't, then the barker says he too is T2 and someday he's going to have to start taking care of himself. He then tried pushing pills on me ... What?

?

When I told Eric I had the Sugars he asked me "Do you wan to live or do you want to die". I said WTF Eric, don't make this drama ... Eric told me how when he was 8 years old his doctor (who was diabetic) asked him that question so he has asked others with the condition the same thing. Eric is the person doctors steer their patients who need tough love.

So Eric asks me if I want to live or die then explained how sugars damage and destroy nerves and organs, and how (us) Type 2(s) won't die or be in a coma tomorrow if we don't take care of ourselves, BUT the accumulation of nerve and organ damage can take years off our lives, and hasten the decrease of our quality of life.

Hookie Dookie!

(... Z?) Shame. ? I think some denial may erupt from feelings of shame. Wife heard me talking about this condition openly and asked me if I didn't feel embarrassment or ... shame. You see, my mother in law developed insulin dependent Type 2 and felt shame about it. ? What? Seems my mother in law was embarrassed. What!!

It's not like I'm discussing a moral failure. It's a medical condition, it is what it is.

It's also what it isn't. A mental condition.

4) What I/a diabetic does today can have an effect three days from now! I've noticed myself having an odd day, checked the logs and darn, that could explain it.

I use to have migraines, lots of them ... last migraine I had I checked the log, turns out I went below the lower limit of "caloric intake" the day before, and was doing hte same that day also. Seems as long as I don't push the low limits two days in a row I'm OK.

5) We're all Different! This is probably the most important point. None of us are the same. I think this is a major reason the Medicos are the way they are. They have a mentality that they have to have an answer but the only to have an answer is to treat us as though we're all the same. I had better not go down that path ....

Anyhow, we're all different. You and I and our condition may share 90~99% commonality, what works for you may work for me but I can't count on it. You may be able to eat oats/oatmeal and milk. I touch the stuff and I'm off to the races.

Go figure.

Oh my, I didn't mean to write all this.

Peep! Keep it up (or down, whichever particular number is better. ;) )

Glad to see things are going better, and I'm told things will get even better!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you for the info.

2 questions at the moment (there will be more along the way if you don't mind):
Sorry but what is FBS?

Can I have your recipe for the bread?

I make homemade bread and these are rthe ingredients (I haven't made it since last year so I have no clue if I can handle the glycemic load or not) and I have no measurements I just eye ball it.

AP flour
WW flour
rye flour
soy flour
wheat germ
rolled oats (turned into flour consistency)
salt
yeast
and a pinch of sugar

I know sour dough bread, ww bread, triscuits and stoned wheat thins keeps my sugar down. I make my meat loaf with oats and NO bread crumbs and my sugar is usually low. I haven't just had a bowl oatmeal yet but when it gets cold I will see what happens. A lot of things I thought would shoot the sugar up haven't.

My dotor told me to only check my sugar 1X a day but at different times. But when I feel funny or try something new I check more often.

I have been looking for a different doctor that is good and in our plan. The only guidance he gave me was. "You can have all the meat and veggies you want. Cut the sugar and bread down."

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Wow Peeps, what a change in those numbers, good for you! Diabetes runs in my family. I have triglycerides through the roof and no matter how I change my diet, it's still high....

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Wow Peeps, what a change in those numbers, good for you! Diabetes runs in my family. I have triglycerides through the roof and no matter how I change my diet, it's still high....
Thank you. It runs in my family also and it can be depressing at times.

Wart

Banned
Can I have your recipe for the bread?

Sure. Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. I delayed because I regurarly change things and knew I was going to bake more (for entry in the local fair) I figured I would bake up a loaf and see and see what happened. I guess you could call this Marks Blue Ribbon Wheat.

But first, Yesterday I was having a bad day. I felt all sorts of down and depressed, not that depressed but still, I was in a funk.

And I thought , what the hell is going on with me. I had my daily dose of opiates so it's not withdrawal, I haven't felt like this for months ... For Months ... and I look at the bag of cookies left over from what Wife baked for entry in the Fair .... I felt a little odd 3 days ago, a little more odd 2 days ago, yesterday it hit me. I had lunch, topped it off with cookies then delayed in going out and burning it off and POW! LMAO!!

THe recipe:

Water is filtered

8 oz white whole wheat
4 oz whole wheat (both Bobs Red Mill)
2 ts yeast
1 ts organic sugar
12 oz water
(yeast thoroughly mixed in flour, sugar dissolved in water)

Left to sit covered in a 80 degree kitchen for 6~8 hours.

then 'proof'
4 oz water
2 ts raw sugar
1 TB yeast

then in 'cup'
1 oz raw sugar and
2 oz honey dissolved in
4 oz water
add
2 oz grape seed oil

Finally

1 TB Kosher Salt incorporated into
16 oz bread flour
And more flour, probably 4 more but mayhaps up to 6 more ounces.

Put in a mixer, haved at it, autolese, and so on.

For the white:

12 oz KA bread flour
12 oz water
2 ts Yeast
1 ts raw sugar.
Combined and left sit same as above.

4 oz water
2 ts raw sugar
1 TB yeast

4 oz water
1/2 oz sugar
3 oz grapeseed

20 oz KA bread flour (+ up to 4 or more oz)
1 TB Kosher

As you can see there really isn't anything different about these breads, except for the boutique flour(s) ... and that yeast is allowed to work on a little sugar and a substantial amount of the flours for a while.

or

8 oz white whole wheat
8 oz water
1/2 ts yeast.
about a 90 degree kitchen for 6-10 hours.

4 oz water
2 ts raw sugar
1 TB yeast

4 oz water
1 TB sugar
2 oz grape seed oil

16 oz Flour
1 TB kosher

If I turned my notes over I could give a few more.

;)

I haven't just had a bowl oatmeal yet but when it gets cold I will see what happens. A lot of things I thought would shoot the sugar up haven't.

Friend Eric tells me not to be surprised if 'things' change and the way foods 'act' are different in the winter.

Oh goody.

My dotor told me to only check my sugar 1X a day but at different times. But when I feel funny or try something new I check more often.

1x a day? What?

There is such a thing as over control but once a day?

My FBS was 82. Ate my egg sandwich (4.5 oz wheat buttered and pan toasted, 1 egg, 1.12 oz cheddar, ~ 0.5 oz pepperoni) about 1 1/2 hours ago, just checked my sugar, its 86 ... I think it's time to check the test strips.

I have been looking for a different doctor that is good and in our plan. The only guidance he gave me was. "You can have all the meat and veggies you want. Cut the sugar and bread down."

With my limited experience I would say finding another doctor would be a good idea.

I'm guessing my friend with his extensive experience would tell you to RUN! RUN NOW!! DO YOU WANT TO LIVE OR DIE??!!!!

To be fair thats about all the guidance my doctor gave me, and it was better than another doctor who, years ago, said I had a slightly elevated sugar and I should keep an eye on it. At least the Doc I have now gave me a diet sheet.

In my opening story I relate how yesterday I felt like I hadn't felt in months, which is how I felt for years. At one time I even went to a shrink.

PanchoHambre

Good luck Peeps sounds like you are handling the situation well.

I am convinced my blood sugar is wacky but it usually tests normal.. sometimes low.

My kid brother was diagnosed type 1 in his early 20s weird right? He got the pump. It has been a rough road for him. He has had a few scares and is learning exactly how careful he needs to be. It's crazy for me to get my head around because he is an athletic, active, and very physically fit kid. My younger cousin has been type 1 since he was a pre-teen he is now legally blind but otherwise doing well with it.. My uncle on the other side was diagnosed Type 2 in his late 50s again a fairly fit and healthy person. In the media I always see Type 2 in particular attributed to lifestyle and diet but in reality this seems untrue. I try to keep an eye on this as it runs in my family but so far I have been lucky. I respect the discipline required by my family members tremendously because I have so little when it comes to responsible eating. Sounds like you are on top of it Peeps. I guess I really don't have a point here except that you are not alone on this it is so terribly common.

One odd note is that my brother and cousin who are type one were always incredibly finicky eaters who were repulsed by the vast majority of foods, not light eaters just really really picky. I always wonder if their limited diets were a chicken or egg type of thing related to the diabetes.