Chiusano - Culpeper, VA

Sigh. When we first heard that this fairly new restaurant had taken the place of a somewhat short-lived Irish restaurant/pub that used to occupy the same space, but which we missed getting to visit, we were eager to try it, as so far Culpeper's other casual fine dining spots ("Lucio", "It's About Thyme") have been wonderful. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case at Chiusano, where the food is blander than hospital fare, yet at fine dining prices! A la carte pretty much prevails - starters run $10; salads (which we didn't order) a bit less I think; entrees $18+.

Tucked away on a back street, it does have the ambience of a small Italian/Mediterranean bistro. Not many tables – about 8 downstairs plus a handful on the two second-floor landings. Candles and linens about, yet all diners – including us – were dressed quite casually early yesterday evening.

As soon as we were seated, a basket of lovely fresh warm soft salt-and-herb laden bread was placed on the table, along with a small ramekin containing about one tablespoon of green olive tapenade. No butter. This is terrific for tapenade lovers like myself, but doesn’t work for those who dislike it like my husband. Bread was refilled when needed.

Husband just had lemon-spiked water, while I asked if they offered a house wine. They don’t, but do sell some of their bottled wine offerings by the glass. I ordered a glass of one of the less expensive, which also happens to be my favorite – a Pinot Grigio for $7.00/glass. I have to admit, that while I’ve attended wine tastings & do know proper service for wines, when I’m having wine with dinner and order a glass, I expect A GLASS. For that $7.00 (& it was only a $26.00 bottle), I received a glass that was just a little over one quarter full. As an accompaniment to a meal? Six sips later, it was gone.

We both started with the Lobster Bisque, which was one of the specials. While obviously made from seafood stock, laced with heavy cream, & with a few token tiny bits of lobster present, there was absolutely NO seasoning whatsoever. No salt, no pepper, no herbs – not even the usual token dollop of dry sherry (something I think every seafood bisque should have).

Husband followed with the Lobster Ravioli ($18.95) – also listed as a special, but on the regular menu as well. Stuffed with lobster and ricotta cheese, these 8 tiny rounds, served on a dollop of bland cream sauce, were good, but slightly undercooked to the point of being dry on top and around the edges. Husband needed a knife to cut them, & I found them somewhat bland . These were served with a small side of completely unseasoned sautéed spinach topped with some toasted pine nuts.

I had the Baked Haddock ($24.95) – another special, which consisted of a LARGE and extremely fresh and perfectly cooked piece of haddock topped with completely flavorless breadcrumbs and a slice (rather than a wedge) of lemon, which made it difficult, if not impossible, for me to add some desperately needed flavor. This was served with a blob of unbelievably stodgy flavorless mashed potatoes – again, no butter, salt, pepper, garlic – NOTHING – and the same spinach as my husband received, although for some reason my spinach was so oily and bitter that it was rendered inedible (and I LOVE spinach).

For the above travesty we ended up dropping $65.90 before taxes and tip. In total, just shy of $90.00. While service was generally fine, I’ve never had a blander restaurant meal in my life – and especially at such prices. I don’t plan on repeating the experience when Culpeper has several much better offerings for the same amount of $$$.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well-written review, BC!

Going out to dinner is a treat, and I'm sorry it was a bummer for you.

Lee

K

Kimchee

You should email this to them, perhaps they will make changes.