Hatch Chile Hummus with Hatch Pesto

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I know I have not been around for a bit, but I whipped this up last night and it is sooo yummy!

20150130_231755.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sattie! Good to see you!

Where are the recipes????

I have a friend with a bunch of hatch chiles in her freezer and I'd like to send the recipes to her!

Lee

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
:oops: Sorry, I kinda forget.... I was not even going to put the two together until I started making the hummus. Then I thought to myself, hey, put a hatch in the hummus and add the hatch pesto! I have a bunch frozen as well. Just can't help myself!

OK, for the pesto:

I used hot hatches and only removed part of the seeds.

6 roasted hatches, skins removed, seeds removed for milder
2 cloves garlic
1 lime, zest and juice
1/4 c pine nuts
1 c cilantro
1/4 c good olive oil
1/4 c grated parmesan
1/4 c grated asiago
salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in food processor except for olive oil. Pulse a few times and add half of the olive oil. Pulse again and then add the remainder of the olive oil and them pulse to desired consistency. I left mine kinda chunky.

Store in air-tight container and chill in frig for an hour at least. Serve on whatever you like, this stuff is good on a bumper as Emeril puts it.

For the hummus:

1 can of chick peas drained and rinsed
1 hatch chile peeled and seeded if desired
1 t green hatch chile powder. (I found this at my local farmers market)
2 cloves garlic
1 lemon, zest and juice
2 T tahini
salt to taste
1/4 to 1/2 c of good olive oil. Depending on the consistency you like.

Combine all ingredients in a food processor except for olive oil. Turn processor on and drizzle oil until it reaches the desired consistency. Let the processor run for a full two minutes. It will make it smooth and velvety!

Spoon hummus into a bowl, create a little hollow in the middle of the hummus and add some of the pesto. Garnish with a bit more olive oil and a few pinches of hatch chile powder.

Enjoy!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Perfect Sattie - thanks!

And please stick around! :)

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Sattie.

That looks amazingly yummy.

I have to look up hatch chile. I have not heard of it before, but, your pix and recipe have definitely stirred my curiosity.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Hatch chiles are the rave.... around August/September is the Chile Festival. I buy a couple of boxes of them and freeze. TIP: Freeze as is, charred skins and all. They are easier to peel when thawing. Trust me on this. FYI, the pesto is awesome on fresh sliced mozzarella cheese. I either make my own or buy a knob of mozzarella and ladle some pesto on top.....I'm in heaven!!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
:corn: I ate the hole batch last night of mozz and hatch pesto........... gonna need the treadmill today!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Adillo, Hatch chile season is awesome. Central Market roasts them outside each year and the aroma is amazing! I know some other grocery stores do it as well. Stock up and freeze..... I use my vacuum sealer. Most of the time I just eat them fresh from the roasting.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I did research. I learned that I can pre order a box our two four what looks like a September delivery. I do like chile, I'm on it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sattie, I've never eaten hatch chiles, but my friends say they are HOT!

Do you think so?

Lee

Leni

They can be hot or mild. My DH bought 25 pounds of them a couple of years ago. I roasted and peeled them while muttering more than a few choice words. I still have some in the freezer.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I wanted to post the recipe for the hatch pesto, I used it as a guide but used a fraction of the cheese it called for.

http://www.food.com/recipe/green-chile-cilantro-pesto-177678

The hummus, I made up as I went.

Hatches can be mild or hot. At Central Market, they roast them out side during the season and the smell is wonderful!

I always opt for the hot ones... because you can remove the seeds to tame them down if you want.