Really fresh chicken

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Has anyone ever bought chicken at one of those places that slaughter the chicken while you wait?

They seem to have several different colors and types. I wonder what the differences are.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Has anyone ever bought chicken at one of those places that slaughter the chicken while you wait?

They seem to have several different colors and types. I wonder what the differences are.
All the poutry butcher shops, beef butcher shops and pork butcher shops I knew of are all gone. When I was a kid my aunt would go to a poultry butcher for all her chicken. The chicken tasted great!!

Do you have any butchers (of any kind) close to you?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
The butcher shops around here are gone, GONE, GONE..
There used to be Helmkamp's and King's Meat Market.. and Schmit's that would do that.

The last time I ever experienced a butcher was when I lived in Normanton, Wakefield, West Yorkshire.
It was a delight to run down to the high street and get what you wanted.
The shops look like this.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Peep, et al.

In Paterson, there are live poultry butchers. There is also an incredible fish monger.

Guts

I can't say that I've ever seen a store in this country that slaughters chickens. Mexico is a different story, I slaughtered the chicken once. Wrap the chicken in an old clean T-shirt this is the way my father told me to do it. So the chicken doesn't break its wings and get bruised up after you chop its head off with ax. Put the chicken and some boiling water, and then pulled the feathers off, what a pain in the butt. can't get much fresher chicken then that.

you may ask why I did this the best reason I can think of was I never done it before! now that I've done it. I don't think I'd do it again in less there. A lot of chickens running around my house which there are not. It was an experience that I haven't forgot-en. I have never dressed a cow, pig, or any large wild game such as deer. Bunny rabbits are easy to dress my neighbor had lots of them and would give them to me from time to time. Rabbits are very clean and dress, and easy to do.

I think like anything is what the animals been eating will change the flavor of the meat. A good example would be wild game.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peep, et al.

In Paterson, there are live poultry butchers. There is also an incredible fish monger.
Oh ok thank you. My aunt went to a poultry butcher in Passaic a couple blocks from The Capital Theater which is also gone now.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
just down from Broadway on Washington. The chicken is on the corner of Broadway and Washington. Down from there the fish market is on mall st.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
There are several places in town where I can get a fresh-killed chicken. They are wonderful.

AllenOK

There are several small farmers that sell eggs around here. I wonder if they might slaughter an old bird that is not producing?

Guts

Allen I have recipes from my grandmother that say to use a stewing hen. When I inquired about this recipe from my mother. She told me back on the farm when a hen quit laying eggs. They were generally old fat birds. The keyword being fat and that made the best chicken things like chicken and dumplings. So these birds were fat but also a little on the tough side, which I think began the slogan "Tough old bird" just a wild guess here. Maybe somebody else might have something to add or correct me if I'm wrong here about stewing hens.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Yup! I remember the same lore about chickens.

I originally started the thread hoping someone would know the different breeds of chicken.

They seem to have a few.