FRESH MANGO PIE!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Now yesterday, the guy who delivers our garafons of water also brought us some magnificent fresh mangoes...his brother owns an orchard, and we buy them from him often this time of year. Haven't had any for a week or so, so I thought the season was over. But we bought a HUGE bag of tree-ripened mangoes (16 BIG mangoes) for only 30 pesos (about $2.30 USD). What was I going to do with all those ripe mangoes? I rashly declared my intention to bake a fresh mango pie, and since my daughter was within earshot, I promised to make TWO pies, one just for her. Pie is not my best thing to make - I bake pretty good cookies and cakes and bread, but pie has never been my favorite project. But I got up this morning and decided to get it over with before it got too hot, and am I ever glad I did. I'm telling you all - a bite of this imperfect-looking pie just makes you happy to be alive. DD is so fortunate that we parted with one of the pies: Jerry suggested that maybe we should hold back a few pieces, but a deal is a deal.

Here's how I made it:

FRESH MANGO PIE

Rich pie crust – enough for a two-crust pie

5 cups chopped fresh and ripe mangoes
2 TBS lemon juice
½ cup sugar (more if mangoes are not fully ripe)
¼ cup flour
2 TBS butter
1 egg, beaten lightly
2-3 tsp sugar

Mix lemon juice with chopped mangoes
Add sugar and flour and mix carefully, so as not to crush mangoes

Use to fill pie crust – dot with butter before adding upper crust
Brush with egg and dust with sugar, cut vents for steam
Bake at 375F for 40-45 minutes, pie is done when nicely browned and juice is bubbling through the vents

I make a good,flaky pie crust using my FP judiciously - if anyone wants this recipe, I'll post it, too.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 474

Guts

Karen I haven't been posting for a while because of health issues, feeling a little better now. But I have to say this Mango Pie brought me back to the forum. I love Mangos, and in a pie Wow! thats gota be Good. I want one now...
Kim

Last edited:

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Never heard of mango pie, but my does that look wonderful. No mango trees around here though :(

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
:ohmy:...............:clap::clap::clap::clap::a1:

I'd love to see your pie crust recipe too!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks to all for your kind words! Nice to hear from you, Kim - glad you are feeling better, and hope you stay with us. I know we have all enjoyed your contributions. The pie crust, I make as follows:

PIE CRUST IN YOUR FOOD PROCESSOR

3 cups flour
8TBS very cold unsalted butter, diced
8TBS very cold shortening
1 tsp salt
6TBS ice water

First, measure out the butter and shortening and put it on a plate. Put the plate in the freezer for a half hour or so.

Measure the flour into your food processor with the regular metal blade attached. Add the salt and pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter/shortening all at once and pulse about 8 times to mix it. DON'T OVER MIX. Feed the ice water through the tube and pulse several times only until it is crumbly. DON'T wait until it forms into a ball. Remove the mixture and gather it into a ball in a bowl. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

This makes enough for one two-crust pie.

It was really warm today, and I was sure that the butter/shortening would melt completely while I was rolling it out. But it is very forgiving and turned out just fine.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thank you Karen!! I love the 1/2 & 1/2 butter shortening combo!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
That looks delicious. And to think I had a nice mango tree at the house I sold a year ago. Rats! And that pie crust, wow - might have to try that with some fresh cherries.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I swear, the members of this forum post recipes and photos that rival the best of professional food magazines!

Beautiful, Karen .... just beautiful!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
The best thing about the pictures we all post is that it is REAL food - that we are all about to EAT. The pictures in food magazines may or may not be edible - have you ever read anything written about food "stylists"?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
The best thing about the pictures we all post is that it is REAL food - that we are all about to EAT. The pictures in food magazines may or may not be edible - have you ever read anything written about food "stylists"?
YUP!! I read somewhere that they use elmers glue for milk sometimes!! Marbles to make things look thicker example chunky soup.