Basil Ready to Bolt

Blues Man

I have a bunch of basil that is about ready to bolt. Looking to try something new with it. Anybody have any favorites?

buckytom

Grill Master
what variety of basil?

you can always pinch it back and delay the bolt, if you already haven't done that too many times. some basils will tolerate 6 or 7 pinchings before getting funky or bitter tasting, if the weather stays warm.

if it's sweet italian/genovese basil, how about a fish in light tomato basil sauce? or my shrimp and scallops marinara ( i think i posted a recipe). chopped and added just before serving in both dishes.

maybe a margherita salad (tomatoes, basil, bufala mozzarella, balsamic vinegar).

it's good wrapped with prosciutto around grilled u-16 shrimp.

an italian hero always tastes better with basil. prosciutto, provolone, hot cappicolla, roasted red peppers, onions, oregano, evoo and red wine vinegar.

when i have a load, i stuff it in red snapper or trout along with thinly sliced fennel, and s&p. drizzle the fish with olive oil and roast or grill.

if it's a thai basil, it's great in stir fries like kra pow (chicken breast,onions, peppers, carrots, chilli paste, and fresh basil), and noodle dishes like pad thai or see ew.
thai or asian basil is also delicious in fried rice.

GotGarlic

You can definitely freeze pesto - I freeze it in 1-cup containers. It makes great bruschetta or pesto pasta, and a great sandwich spread. I also whiz the leaves with water and place the mixture in ice-cube trays and freeze. Then put the cubes in freezer bags and throw a cube in spaghetti or other tomato sauce or soup, or minestrone soup, during the winter.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is what I'm going to do with mine (I can't find lilbopeep's original post, so I'll paste the word doc. I saved of her recipe).

Lee

Basil, Putting up (lilbopeep)

Fresh basil leaves - washed and dried

Olive oil
Salt
Jars with tight fitting lids

Place a layer of salt in bottom of bottle, then a nice amount of olive oil (about 1/4 inch). Start pressing basil leaves one at a time into olive oil. After you have added enough leaves that they are almost sticking out of oil start the layers over. Add a layer of salt then oil then leaves. Repeat layers to just below top of bottle and end with salt and oil. Cover tightly and refrigerate. As you use the basil leaves add more salt and oil so you keep basil covered. I use the oil also to add flavor to dishes. Basil is preserved in the salt and oil and lasts a long time. I have had it last 2 years in the fridge keeping it covered with salt and oil.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
This is what I'm going to do with mine (I can't find lilbopeep's original post, so I'll paste the word doc. I saved of her recipe).

Lee

Basil, Putting up (lilbopeep)

Fresh basil leaves - washed and dried
Olive oil
Salt
Jars with tight fitting lids

Place a layer of salt in bottom of bottle, then a nice amount of olive oil (about 1/4 inch). Start pressing basil leaves one at a time into olive oil. After you have added enough leaves that they are almost sticking out of oil start the layers over. Add a layer of salt then oil then leaves. Repeat layers to just below top of bottle and end with salt and oil. Cover tightly and refrigerate. As you use the basil leaves add more salt and oil so you keep basil covered. I use the oil also to add flavor to dishes. Basil is preserved in the salt and oil and lasts a long time. I have had it last 2 years in the fridge keeping it covered with salt and oil.

hello sweetie. here is the link to the thread. thank you and enjoy!!

Putting Up Basil

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SK, it's rapid growth, and the plant goes to seed and flower, often resulting in bitter-tasting leaves.

As BT said, pinch off the tops of the stems that are going to seed, right when you see it, and take about 1/3 of each stem when you harvest it, to lengthen the life of the plant.

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My favorites are pesto of course but her are some other ways to use it up. I dehydrate some to use dry in sauces, rubs etc. I also make a garlic (roasted), basil butters that will keep a very long time in the freezer which I love on steaks, lobster for example. Basil is also great in salads, soups, stews really on almost anything. It can be frozen in layers between plastic rap in plastic bags as well as in ice trays in water. Last but not least in in oil and vinegar salad dressing that can be stored easily enough.

buckytom

Grill Master
ooh, good idea josie. i forgot about compound butters.

equal parts fresh chopped dill and basil mashed into softened butter is awesome on salmon under the broiler.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
compound butters are awsome!! just mix it up, put in zip bag, smooth down into a roll and freeze. when solid cut what you need and freeze the rest for the next use. on veggies, breads, meats, fish and pasta!! yummy!!