Gnocci with Roast Chicken and Proscuitto

AllenOK

This is a dish that's on the special menu for this month. I don't really have measurements, other than I'm using 6 oz each of frozen gnocci and roast chicken.

I start by roasting some chicken pieces, usually at least 4 - 5 breasts and the same number of thighs. I season the chicken with thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. I roast it in one of our convection ovens for an hour. Chill the chicken, then pick it off the bone, leaving the meat in large chunks. I portion this meat in quart-size ziploc baggies. I have NOT been prepping enough to justify freezing some of the chicken; I'm using it to fast.

To make the dish, preheat an 8" saute pan over high heat. I drop the gnocci into a pot of gently simmering water to thaw and reheat. Add a little clarified butter to the saute pan and swirl to coat. Add the chicken, 1 T minced shallots, 1 t minced garlic, and about 1 oz of proscuitto ham, thinly sliced and julienned. Season with about 1/2 t each of thyme and sage. Once the ingredients start to caramelize, deglaze with about 1/3 c of white wine. Add the gnocci, then bring to a quick boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes. Uncover, and toss in 3 T of whole, COLD, butter. Shake, toss, and roll the dish around the pan to melt the butter. The sauce will tighten up a bit, just like a buerre blanc. DO NOT BRING TO A BOIL or you will break the sauce! Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper to your liking.

I plate the dish in a large pasta bowl, and serve with garlic bread over top of the dish, and some chives sprinkled on for color.

The smell is intoxicating!

NOTES: We did this last year with mixed success. The chef wanted to let folks know that yes, the chicken was roasted, so he had me leave it on the bone, but cut it up a bit. Folks weren't really thrilled about having to pick the meat off the bones (they don't like getting their hands dirty), or biting into a piece and finding a bone in there. Plus, cooking the chicken to order greatly lengthened the ticket times, plus when the orders started slacking off, I started loosing the chicken to spoilage.

Now, I have the chicken pre-cooked, picked apart, and pre-portioned. This reduces spoilage, as I'm not prepping enough to last more than a few days. Cook time is only about 10 minutes, start to finish.

Phiddlechik

Yummy! Do you make your own gnocchi? I like to make it with ricotta (home made) instead of potatoes. it would also be good made with sweet potatoes or squash, especially with garlic/sage/butter!!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Sounds great! I have never seen frozen gnocci in our grocery stores but will be checking again :biggrin:.

AllenOK

Cooksie, I just saw your post on Keltin's thread about Gnocci with red sauce, and was going to post a link to this thread for you. I see you already found it!

Phiddlechik, I make this at work. We get frozen gnocci. I have actually made some gnocci, completely from scratch, both at work and at home. They are a lot of work, but they are worth it.

California Cook, those sound great! I may have to do something with those one of these days.

Oh, Allen, you must try the lemon ricotta pan fried gnocchi - for you ;-) I wanted to make it with Meyer lemons; but at the time, my local market wasn't stocking/carrying Meyers. Good stuff. Pan-fried are way better than boiled, IMHO.

Last edited: