Peep Split Pea Soup

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peep Split Pea Soup

Smoked Ham steak - cooked and chopped small (or bacon cooked, drained and crumbled or smoked ham hocks** )
1 lb. Split peas
1 medium Onion - chopped small
2 or 3 medium Potatoes - peeled and chopped small
2 or 3 medium Carrots - peeled and chopped small
Liquid hickory smoke - to taste
Salt - to taste
Ground black pepper - to taste
3 quarts Water

Add a small amount of butter to large pot. Melt butter over low heat. Add ham steak and brown on both sides; careful not to burn (if using bacon no butter is required). Remove from pot and chop small (or drain bacon and crumble). Add remaining ingredients and chopped ham (or bacon) to pot. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered 1 to 1 1/2 hours or till peas and vegetables are tender. Stir every 15 - 20 minutes.

**If using smoked ham hocks - place them in soup pot cover with water, bring to boil then lower heat and simmer till tender. Remove from pot and cool enough to remove meat and cut into bite sized pieces. Skip ham frying process and add all ingredients to pot and proceed from there adding cooked ham hock pieces or crumbled cooked bacon to pot.

picture.php

Last edited:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I haven't done any pea soup in ages.............. gonna try this one soon if the rain doesn't let up.......... otherwise, it'll be the first one out of the gate come soup season.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I haven't done any pea soup in ages.............. gonna try this one soon if the rain doesn't let up.......... otherwise, it'll be the first one out of the gate come soup season.
thank you and please let me know what you think of it. the potato gives it a nice twist. i made split pea soup and lentil soup last week, these 2 are so quick and easy to make within an hour or so. we eat soup all year round. much better than soup ala red can!! LOL

joec

Gold Site Supporter
This sounds really good and will give it a try ASAP. I just finished up the last bowl of Lentil soup I made about a week ago. I add a smoked ham hock to them also.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
This sounds really good and will give it a try ASAP. I just finished up the last bowl of Lentil soup I made about a week ago. I add a smoked ham hock to them also.
thank you, let me know what you think!! i also posted a lentil soup recipe, did you see it? i serve it over rice. i use left over lentil soup to make pasta and lentils.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
For short, let's call it Split Peep from now on. :D
:yum: yeah you got it i was playin' wit da wurds!! don't forget to add the soup at the end!! LOL

remember that old joke punch line?
hold the chicken make it pea!! :yum: