Sweet Potato Catfish From Red Fish Grill

Peggy

Sweet Potato Catfish From: Red Fish Grill in New Orleans Louisiana

1 8 or 9-ounce catfish fillet, trimmed as needed
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
4 ounces sweet potato crust (directions follow)
1 ounce clarified butter
3 ounces fresh spinach, cleaned
Pinch Creole seasoning
Pinch salt and pepper
1½ ounces andouille cream drizzle (directions follow)
Chopped green onions

Sprinkle the catfish with salt and Creole seasoning. Spread the sweet potato crust on top of the fish.

In a hot skillet, add the clarified butter, then the fish, crust side up, to brown quickly. Remove fish carefully and place in another pan, with a little of the melted butter, if desired. Bake in hot oven, 450 degrees, 8 to 12 minutes, depending on thickness of fillet. Do not turn fish. Don't over bake. When fish is cooked, crust should be nicely browned.

Sauté spinach in clarified butter or margarine and season with Creole seasoning, salt and pepper. Drain spinach and put in center of plate. Place catfish on top, allowing the spinach to be seen on either side of the fish. Drizzle the sauce around the fish and spinach.

Garnish the fish with chopped green onions.

Serves 1.

Sweet Potato Crust:

1¼ pounds roasted sweet potato flesh
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ teaspoon salt
Dash black pepper
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
3/8 teaspoon Creole seasoning
Roast (or bake) sweet potatoes. Peel and place the sweet potato flesh and remaining ingredients in mixer. Beat to incorporate.

Andouille Cream Drizzle:

½ pound andouille sausage, diced
1½ ounces vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
2 tablespoons honey
1 quart heavy (whipping) cream
3 ounces bourbon
3 tablespoons blond roux (see directions)
Salt, pepper
Sauté andouille in oil until lightly browned. Add Creole seasoning. Deglaze pan - add the bourbon, scraping pan, tip the pan and pour off the bourbon and juices, leaving the grease to pour off and discard. Return juices to pan and cook to reduce sauce slightly, watching carefully and stirring often. Add honey and cream. Add roux and let simmer until flour taste is gone. Salt and pepper to taste.

Yield: 3 quarts.

Roux:

Melt over low heat 2 tablespoons butter; add 2 tablespoons flour, cooking for 3 to 5 minutes to light brown in color. Slowly add 1 cup milk or cream. Cook and stir with wire whisk or wooden spoon until thick and smooth. Place in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes to cook slowly. Strain to use.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I would like to try that. I have eaten catfish in a lot of different ways, but I have never heard of a sweet potatoe crust. I know for sure that I would like the andouille cream drizzle, maybe more than just a drizzle.....:in_love:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Holy cow, Peggy!! That sounds amazing. If I do your laundry by hand for you, can I eat at your house?????

Peggy

I would like to try that. I have eaten catfish in a lot of different ways, but I have never heard of a sweet potatoe crust. I know for sure that I would like the andouille cream drizzle, maybe more than just a drizzle.....:in_love:

Yeah, it is different, although I've never tried it, would like to myself! If you make it, let us know how it was! Use lot's of drizzle!:bounce:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Holy cow, Peggy!! That sounds amazing. If I do your laundry by hand for you, can I eat at your house?????

I'm with FM.....I'll cut the grass, hedges, whatever she doesn't want to do as long as you save me a plate!! Sounds awesome!! :clap:

Peggy

I'm with FM.....I'll cut the grass, hedges, whatever she doesn't want to do as long as you save me a plate!! Sounds awesome!! :clap:

Okay as long as you trim the limbs on the pine trees, you got a deal!:lol: Come on down!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Okay as long as you trim the limbs on the pine trees, you got a deal!:lol: Come on down!

No problem! There aren't many pine trees up here, and I kind of miss them.....except for the sap on my car! I'll do it! So save me a plate!

Peggy

No problem! There aren't many pine trees up here, and I kind of miss them.....except for the sap on my car! I'll do it! So save me a plate!

Kewl! Plates saved! I know what you mean about the sap on the car, almost can't get it off without taking off the paint :sad:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I know what you mean about the sap on the car, almost can't get it off without taking off the paint :sad:

Ain't that the truth! I swear they should harness and use that sap since it has to be stonger than Super Glue!!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
:mrgreen: Last time I had it all over my car, believe it or not, I got most of it off with WD-40!

Yeah, but WD-40 is God's gift to man!

It’s one of the two things you need in a tool box!

If it does not move and it should……..WD-40.

If it moves and it should not……..Duct Tape!

Simple!! :yum:

Peggy

So true, I have both in mine! :thumb:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

This is one of life's truest truths!! I actually have both in my purse at this very second. (Although I don't normally carry the WD-40 in there.)