Just So Y'all Know - Finishing Butters

Cooksie

Site Supporter
"Paula Deen just launched her own line of butter, and no, that's not a joke." "The celebrity chef, often lampooned for her excessive use of fatty ingredients, has developed a variety of "finishing butters" as part of a new product line..." "The butters come in five flavors: Southern Grilling Butter, Lemon Dill Butter, European Style Butter, Sweet Citrus Zest Butter and Garden Herb Butter. They're currently available in Walmart stores..."

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/06/paula-deen-fininshing-butter_n_3396999.html

"Paula Deen finally got her face on some butter, y'all!
The Food Network's mayo-slinging, butter queen with a drawl has started selling her own brand of butter at Wal-Mart. And her smiling face is on every package."

Source: http://www.latimes.com/features/foo...een-finishing-butter-20130606,0,4767951.story

Source: http://www.today.com/food/paula-deen-now-selling-her-own-line-butter-6C10233475

"Earlier this year, Deen showed off a 40-pound weight loss, and her new line of butters suggests she sees them fitting into her fitness plan because they're so packed with flavor that cooks won't need to overload on calories."

6C7767467-130606-paula-dean-4x3-537p.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

chilefarmer

I haven't seen those yet , but I will be looking. Butter is in my food group. Top of the list I think. Everything taste better with butter. CF

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Me too, CF, love it :brows:

Nice steak, Buzz! No Publix here, and no Traders Joes either :mad:. WalMart, however, is convenient.

I've been eating a lot of fish, so I'm going to try the Lemon Dill Butter.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm making my own finishing butter tomorrow..taking the marrow out of roasted bones and blending it with grass fed cow butter. Then, it's going into the mashed potatoes for dinner.

Don't buy into celebrity products. Most of them are gimmicky, doing nothing more than lining the pockets of people who really don't need it. Just about anything you find in the market from a celebrity can be made better and fresher by yourself.:WitchBrewsSmiley:

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Only celebrity thing i love is my Rachel Ray ( garbage bowl). Granted i could use any bowl, but i have a bright colored one and there is no doubt what it is in my kitchen! This way my hubby actually finds where to put the garbage :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm making my own finishing butter tomorrow..taking the marrow out of roasted bones and blending it with grass fed cow butter.

Oh. My. God.

Beef marrow butter!

Brilliant, VB!

I am drooling!

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Oh. My. God.

Beef marrow butter!

Brilliant, VB!

I am drooling!

Lee

Sooooo, a VB Butter, celebrity, make your own? I'd buy a VB produced product any day. If Larry Raymond (Sweet Baby Ray's) can make it, anyone can. Go VB!!!!! :chef:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually picked up 4 Lbs of unsalted butter for this week end. I'm using 1 lb for ghee, 2 lbs for finishing butters my favorite being roasted garlic butter however I also make a dill, tarragon, rosemary, parsley, basil etc just about any garden herb can be mixed. The last lb is just for our consumption such as buttered bread etc.

I also made some lobster butter a while back based on Unconundrum's recipe.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have made lemon dill butter before, and it is very easy. I just mixed the lemon and dill with some room temperature butter, rolled up into a log using waxed paper, and popped it into the freezer. I've always just called them compound butters.

You're right, Vera. I should make my own. I've been a lazy little cook lately, taking lots of short cuts with convenience products. I need to get my mojo back :biggrin: .

Lobster butter sounds decadent.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have made lemon dill butter before, and it is very easy. I just mixed the lemon and dill with some room temperature butter, rolled up into a log using waxed paper, and popped it into the freezer. I've always just called them compound butters.

You're right, Vera. I should make my own. I've been a lazy little cook lately, taking lots of short cuts with convenience products. I need to get my mojo back :biggrin: .

Lobster butter sounds decadent.

That is the same way I do it Cooksie. I blend it together roll it into a log and in the freezer till I need it. You can make it and probably cheaper than buying it even at WalMart.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm going to make some, Joec. I've got to get some fresh dill. I meant to look at the price on PD's the other day when I was in WalMart, but I forgot. I'm sure it's pricey.

Made myself curious so I had to go look it up to see if there is a difference in finishing butters and compound butters.

Source: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauces_Condiments/FlavoredButter.htm

"Also known as finishing butter, or beurre composé in French, A compound butter is butter that has been flavored by blending softened butter together with various ingredients."

Here's something from the same article that I didn't know.

"Let the butter stand for an hour in a cool place, covered, so the flavors can develop; then refrigerate to harden."

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>so the flavors can develop

this applies to a whole lotta stuff.
and "related" stuff -

here's a very enlightening experiment:
get a batch of pork chops for saute / pan fry.
separate into three groups.
Group 1 - keep in the fridge until ready to cook; then salt/pepper put in pan
Group 2 - salt/pepper both sides and keep in the fridge one to many hours until ready to cook
Group 3 - salt/pepper both sides and keep at room temp one hour prior to cook

check with taste buds.
guesses as to winner?