1 envelope active dry yeast
1 TB sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 TB olive oil
1 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups AP flour (give or take)
3 TB Kosher Salt

Oven 350
cut top off head of garlic, drizzle w/ olive oil, salt and pepper. Wrap in foil and roast about 40 min or until soft and beginning to brown. Set aside to cool.

Whisk together water, sugar, 2 TB olive oil, let yeast bloom.

Mix in cooled garlic, 1 tsp salt, and 1 cup of the flour until blended, add 2 more cups flour.... mix or knead or whatever it is you do when you make bread until smooth dough forms....using last 1/2 cup of flour if needed. oil bowl and let rise til double in size....

For the onions....
while dough rises make your onions....

3 med yellow onions, sliced
1-2 TB Olive oil.

heat oil over med heat until they begin to soften, lower heat and stir occaisionally until almost browned... but not finished caramelizing, they will finish on the bread..... set aside..

when dough is risen, turn onto lightly oiled half sheet pan (17x12), work dough to fit pan. press dimples into dough, sprinkle with the kosher salt, drizzle w/ the 1/4 cup olive oil..... then scatter onions.... cover and let rise another hour.

After 2nd rise, bake 30 to 35 min until golden brown.

I'm not good at writing directions because I dont put down every detail.... :whistling:
If I skipped something ask away!

(sorry, i couldn't get a pic before they dove into it :bounce:)

Attachments

• IMG_3083.jpg
    IMG_3083.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 205

homecook

Thank you so much Suzi!! I like reading recipes like this.....I actually know what you're saying. LOL

suziquzie

ugh directions are so hard for me to write down. I just do stuff and assume everyone else knows what they're doing too.... so I skip stuff that sometimes I think is silly to include....
Thanks!

homecook

I may try making this tonight........to go with our spaghetti. I'll let you know if I run into any problems. lol Are you "on-call" tonight? hahaha

suziquzie

oops!
the first rise took about an hour for me yesterday..... but my kitchen was REALLY warm from making chicken stock..... maybe an hour and a half? second rise was about an hour also. No clue how long I (ok the mixer) kneaded it....

chowhound

OK. So it looks like if I started it around 3 hours before I wanted to eat it, I should be good.
Thanks

One other thing ;^) What do you cover it with on the half sheet so it doesn't stick? Do you hit it with a spray and use plastic wrap, sprinkle flour on it and use a towel?

suziquzie

OK. So it looks like if I started it around 3 hours before I wanted to eat it, I should be good.
Thanks

One other thing ;^) What do you cover it with on the half sheet so it doesn't stick? Do you hit it with a spray and use plastic wrap, sprinkle flour on it and use a towel?

Nope, just plastic wrap.... there's enough oil spread on top plus whats left on the onions it wont stick.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Good job, Suzie. I will just add to this that you can also sprinkle the top of the dough with different herbs that you enjoy. Thyme, rosemary and basil are very popular toppings, but you can experiment with different herbs and spices as you desire. Since this bread is baked in a sheet pan, you can put different herbs in different areas just to see how they taste after baking. This way you don't commit the whole sheet to an herb that you may not like, but you can also commit a portion of the dough to an herb that a friend may like, then you can surprise them with it.

Just my 2 cents.

homecook

Thanks for the idea Joe. I think I'll do that! I just have to figure out how to get back to the garden without drowning. lol

suziquzie

Thanks! I was going to put some thyme on top of it but.... I forgot. :) That happens when I have all 3 helpers home..... haha

homecook

Suzi.........this turned out outstanding!! Thank you so much! I left some plain and added rosemary and thyme to different parts of it.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 162
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 172

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
beautiful barb!! did you like each flavor equal or did you like one better? which?

homecook

Three hours is about what it took for me Fred. I even did all the kneading by hand (probably about 10 minutes) cuz I don't have a good mixer.
:chef:

chowhound

Thanks, Barb. I'd be doing it by hand, too.

It looks good. Even without someone's hand reaching for a piece...
:yum:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Barb, yours looks fantastic, too!

Hey, maybe I could actually make this! Even though the evil yeast is in it.

Yeast senses my fear.

Lee