knife gurus ..

chowhound

Go for it! It's "dishwasher safe" :yum:

Just jokin. Waitin' for the answers to roll in from the experts. It looks like a nice knife, but I'm sure you can buy other nice knives for less. But ya gotta be happy with your purchase...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Nothing wrong with it but you might also check out the 210mm Gyuto by Kanetsugu Pro M Series at http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/ProMSeries.html They charge $7 for shipping on an order be it one or more knives and never more that 5 days from order to delivery to me in Kentucky. Top notch customer service too.

Love2"Q"

thanks .. i handled this knife a few weeks ago ..
and it felt great in my hand .. i also have a gift card from there ..
so i am thinking of getting a slicer and a knife ...

Love2"Q"

joe .. is there somewhere i can put my hands on it ?
i am really funny about that .. i use tools for a living ..
so it has to feel right ...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Go for it! It's "dishwasher safe" :yum:

Just jokin. Waitin' for the answers to roll in from the experts. It looks like a nice knife, but I'm sure you can buy other nice knives for less. But ya gotta be happy with your purchase...

No knife is dish washer safe unless it is a butter knife with metal handles. Sorry chowhound the detergent and the heat will destroy an edge about as fast as rubbing it on the driveway. No good knife should be washed in a dishwasher as it only takes a couple of seconds to wash and dry one.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
joe .. is there somewhere i can put my hands on it ?
i am really funny about that .. i use tools for a living ..
so it has to feel right ...

Not unless you actually go to Japan, but they do have a $100 return policy in that if it is unused you can simply send it back for a full refund.

chowhound

No knife is dish washer safe unless it is a butter knife with metal handles. Sorry chowhound the detergent and the heat will destroy an edge about as fast as rubbing it on the driveway. No good knife should be washed in a dishwasher as it only takes a couple of seconds to wash and dry one.

Don't be sorry, Joe.
I'm sorry you didn't see the laughing smiley or the sentence "Just jokin".

:wink:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I don't really care for that knife for two reasons. The first is that the blade is too thick and creates a lot of friction while cutting. Secondly, and more importantly, those stupid finger guards. There might have been a real reason to have them for blade strength many decades ago but modern steel needs no help. The guard makes it impossible to sharpen all the way to the heal so you lose part of the potential blade cutting length. Worse yet, after a few sharpenings, blade wear will make the finger guard longer than the cutting edge in front of it resulting in a situation where the edge won't touch the cutting board to complete the cut.

For 30 bucks less you can get a knife that is easily twice as good. Find it here, No.512. It is "basically" the same stainless steel but the thickness is much less, a desired trait. Hardness is the same at Rockwell 58 but the Germans have been known to exaggerate. Only testing will tell that tale. 58 is fine for a home cook. Also, JCK offers fantastic service. Most knives are shipped from Seki City, Japan and arrive at US doors in less than 7 business days.

FryBoy

I don't agree completely with Buzz on this one. The blade is no thicker than either of my Hattori Gyutos or Santoku. The finger guard is a problem when trying to sharpen the last ½ inch of the blade, but for most people it probably serves a purpose, namely not nicking your index finger on the corner of the blade.

However, that said, given my druthers I would buy Japanese knives, which I now prefer to my ancient Wusthofs -- although they can be pretty pricey. And I can't say enough good things about JCK. Koki, who apparently runs the place, is very helpful if you have any questions or problems.

There are also a couple of good sellers on Ebay, this one, for example: CLICK ME

The Tanaka knives are well regarded, and Takeshi is also quite helpful (although his English isn't great). This stainless Gyuto is a bit more that what you're looking at, but it has a "make an offer" option. I bought one knife from this seller by offering $90 for a knife that he was selling for $150, so who knows.

For more help, try this site: Fred's Cutlery Forum

chowhound

Koki is on top of his game for sure, Fryboy.
And I know I've knicked my index finger a time or three simply picking the knife up. Nothing major, but nontheless...

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
However, that said, given my druthers I would buy Japanese knives, which I now prefer to my ancient Wusthofs -- although they can be pretty pricey.

I agree completely. I've gone through the gamut of knives. Three years ago I got turned onto Japanese edges and I've never looked back. 2009 is my year to thin the herd and I'll be ebaying quite a few blades including several WWII era French Thiers-Issard Sabatiers. The one knife I'll be keeping is a 30 year old Chicago Cutlery 10" Chef's. This knife was ahead of its time with no finger guard and a steel that takes and holds a killer edge. It's not Hitachi blue steel, but it's very good, especially because it is stainless before the development of the newer stainless varieties. It might be a freak. Anyhoo, except for a handful of specialty knives, everything non-J is soon to be history.

Love2"Q"

okie ... since i had a gift card i went to dilliards and
got a 6" wusthof santako .. (SP) ...
it was 99 bucks .. but since the store was having a big sale ..
and it would appear that the trainee was unsure if the item was on sale ..
i got it for 49 bucks ...

FryBoy

It's spelled Santoku, which in Japanese means three (san) + virtues/good things/advantages (toku), namely slicing, dicing, and mincing. It's pronounced san*toh*koo, with none of the syllables stressed.

Love2"Q"

ok .. so i just used it ..
wow .. thats what a sharp knife is like ..
wish i would have doen this sooner ...
off to find somthing to cut ..