What's Cooking NCT Sun. 3/10/2013 to Sat. 3/16/2013

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I guess I'll get this week started. DD called and wanted to join us for dinner and asked for chicken. I said yes, even though we just had it last night on the pasta primavera, and told her to get some peppers and an onion and I would make chicken kabobs. Also threw together some fried taters and DW made one of her great salads. Fresh chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

IMG_1314_zps05094ee9.jpg

IMG_1316_zpsdf91712d.jpg

IMG_1318_zps67e91248.jpg

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I like the kabobs Joe. Was nice enough but mighty breezy today for grilling. I had hot turkey and gravy over stuffing and it was great. She is cooking the rest down and going to make soup or meat pies with it. We took a meal down to the neighbor lady as well.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
What...nobody else cook today except me?

I made pan fried pork shoulder steak, baked beans and fresh cut American fries.

Dinner031113_zps7e4822d5.jpg

Embryodad

What...nobody else cook today except me?

I made pan fried pork shoulder steak, baked beans and fresh cut American fries.

Dinner031113_zps7e4822d5.jpg
Looks good Joe!

Tina cooked me a ham steak with pineapple slices.
I'm still recouperating from the surgery, and still cannot get around much.
Couple more days I guess?
Tina took a picture...but it's on the other side of the house.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Looks good Joe!

Tina cooked me a ham steak with pineapple slices.
I'm still recouperating from the surgery, and still cannot get around much.
Couple more days I guess?
Tina took a picture...but it's on the other side of the house.
Well just snap your fingers or ring the bell and have her bring it over so you can post it. Sheesh...good help is hard to get these days. :hide::yum:

(Don't show this to Tina, or we'll both be in trouble. ME, for being an idiot, and YOU for associating with me. I know how this works.:yum:)

Embryodad

Joe, are you causing problems again? :wink:
HEY MAMA!

Birds of a feather....flock together! ....hahahahahaha

BTW... I DO have one of those call the servent / maid bells!

I just rang, and she said,"NOW WHAT?"
I said,"I need my pee bucket emptied out!"
She said,"You're such a pain in the Can!"

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
DH had a craving for a bacon cheeseburger for lunch even though he knows we are having steak for dinner. :bonk: I guess we've been having a little too much chicken lately :lol:
Anyway, I made him a bacon cheeseburger patty melt with swiss cheese. Didn't have any rye so I put it on honey wheat...I didn't hear any complaints...in fact, it was awfully quiet

Attachments

• lunch03122012.jpg
    lunch03122012.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 304

Embryodad

DH had a craving for a bacon cheeseburger for lunch even though he knows we are having steak for dinner. :bonk: I guess we've been having a little too much chicken lately :lol:
Anyway, I made him a bacon cheeseburger patty melt with swiss cheese. Didn't have any rye so I put it on honey wheat...I didn't hear any complaints...in fact, it was awfully quiet
Oh! Wow!...
I would be quiet with that too!
L00KS Delicious Mama!.......

I may have to "ding a ling" and ring my nurse / maid, and see if I can get one!

Embryodad

Tina Girl is really taking care of Jimmy Boy!

This was Pancakes yesterday, and Ham Steak and Rice.
ham001.jpg

ham003.jpg

Today she made BBQ'd Hot Dogs and Rice for me.
All served to me as I sat on the Easy Chair.
ham004.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You really ARE Blessed Jimmy. Tina's taking very good care of you!

PanchoHambre

now that is a burger Mama OMG :readytoeat:

this weekend broke out the charcoal with the warm weather made pork chops with a mango glaze and chicken breast with garlic lime cilantro spice rub

eating the leftovers from that all week, alas never took pics

also this weekend i scored a flat of blueberries for $3 and one of strawberries for $2 at the italian market and while there was a bad berry here or there there was surprisingly little waste

blueberry muffins, strawberry cobbler, made some strawberry topping for a future cheesecake, put some in yogurt ate some fresh, froze the bulk for future use in muffins and smoothies - really too many berries but such a good deal

today I made my first pie crust! it seems to have turned out OK, I make pie enough but always frozen crust

here she is
IMG035_zps0270e459.jpg

IMG036_zpseb885014.jpg

IMG037_zps29f03c8d.jpg

IMG040_zpsb7eef2f9.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thank you Pancho and that is one beautiful pie! Very well done! Did you use shortening or lard? I like to use lard in my pie crusts. It makes them unbelievably light and flaky.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
OMG EVERYTHING looks so good!!

I finally went to the new Fairway supermarket in Little Falls/ Woodland Park that Andy posted about awhile back. OMG the meat in the butcher case is PRIME and out of this world good. I picked up 2 one inch thick sirloin steaks @$5.99/lb. We had steak (4 of us) 2 days in a row. I have never had meat cooked at home taste so good!! I lightly seasoned with my AP spice blend and did it on the cast iron stove top grill pan. We had microwave steamed fresh baby spinach and baked taters with butter, sour cream and chives (I also had a side salad). Same meal both nights NO complaints AND no pictures :sad:

The prices are a bit high for some things but the meat was worth it.

Tonight I have a corned beef simmering. It is from the butcher dept and they have them brining in the case. You can get any size you want. It smells great. I have only ever had store bought vacuum sealed corned beefs. So I hope this is good.

I also picked up some bone in fresh smoked pork chops. They smell fantastic through the meat dept wrapping (not the butcher dept but the regular meat case). I haven't had a good fresh smoked pork chop in MANY years. Thats tomorrows dinner with taters and greens.

Haven't been taking pictures last couple days but will try to get some tonight and tomorrow.

Embryodad

OMG EVERYTHING looks so good!!

I finally went to the new Fairway supermarket in Little Falls/ Woodland Park that Andy posted about awhile back. OMG the meat in the butcher case is PRIME and out of this world good. I picked up 2 one inch thick sirloin steaks @$5.99/lb. We had steak (4 of us) 2 days in a row. I have never had meat cooked at home taste so good!! I lightly seasoned with my AP spice blend and did it on the cast iron stove top grill pan. We had microwave steamed fresh baby spinach and baked taters with butter, sour cream and chives (I also had a side salad). Same meal both nights NO complaints AND no pictures :sad:

The prices are a bit high for some things but the meat was worth it.

Tonight I have a corned beef simmering. It is from the butcher dept and they have them brining in the case. You can get any size you want. It smells great. I have only ever had store bought vacuum sealed corned beefs. So I hope this is good.

I also picked up some bone in fresh smoked pork chops. They smell fantastic through the meat dept wrapping (not the butcher dept but the regular meat case). I haven't had a good fresh smoked pork chop in MANY years. Thats tomorrows dinner with taters and greens.

Haven't been taking pictures last couple days but will try to get some tonight and tomorrow.
Just told Tina peep. She has it on her stop list to check it out when she is down that way. Her cousin lives right in back of it off Browertown Rd.
"T" said that's not a bad price for the steak; especially for the better quality.

Embryodad

Tonight it's gonna be chicken soup that Tina made yesterday / last night.
Mine with rice; but maybe ditalini??
"T" made a yellow cake with buttercream icing for dessert.
I'm starting to get to the bathroom with less pain now, but it takes time I guess.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Just told Tina peep. She has it on her stop list to check it out when she is down that way. Her cousin lives right in back of it off Browertown Rd.
"T" said that's not a bad price for the steak; especially for the better quality.
The sirloin is on special. Not sure when it will end maybe friday.

BTW They roast their coffee beans right on site. You can watch the beans going round and round. LOL When you get 1/2 way down the meat case the smell of the beans hits you. YUM. They have barrels of beans and a pearson to scoop them into a bag for you. I took mine whole. I like them ground just before brewing. I got a little of this a little of that and I have been blending: southern pecan, chocolate hazel nut, macademia nut and coconut. WOW is it good coffee. Those were $7.99/lb but others are more.

They also have loose tea I will have to explore that next time.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
The Fairway corned beef was fantastic!! No pictures again. We were to hungry.

Embryodad

I didn't know Nurse / cook Tina took pictures.

The soup and for lunch a Cheeseburger on buttered toast.
And the cake. The side with the green sugar crystals is hers??
?? I don't know why?? Maybe no poison on that side, and only poison on my side?? hahahahaha

soupcakenburgers005.jpg

soupcakenburgers002.jpg

soupcakenburgers004.jpg

PanchoHambre

Thank you Pancho and that is one beautiful pie! Very well done! Did you use shortening or lard? I like to use lard in my pie crusts. It makes them unbelievably light and flaky.

crust was ok inside was a bit runny but delicious!

I used an all butter recipe - martha stewart LOL because i figure hers are written for use by novices like me - I would prefer Lard I think but butter is what was on hand. Shortening (even the new trans fat free stuff) is a product I try not to use.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Beef tips in a wine reduction gravy, over fresh made whole wheat & basil fettuccine noodles. Buttered broccoli for a side.

Dinner031413_zpsab2dee2c.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter
Dag, that looks GOOD, JoeV!! You guys are killing me with all this good food!! :eating2:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I’M IN HEAVEN!! These are fantastic smoked bone-in pork chops. I haven’t been able to find any in so many years. I finally found them at Fairway supermarket.

Smoked bone-in pork chop, microwave steamed fresh baby spinach and mashed potatoes (butter, chives, sea salt, ground pepper and ½ & ½)

031413_smoked_pork_chop_P1090814.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh Yum Peepers! I haven't had any in a long time either. I'll have to look for some the next time I go to the store.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you sherm and mama. I should have gotten a pic of the cut chop. Wonderful pink smoke color. EVEN my dd who isn't fond of pork and even less fond of bacon said YUM!