What are your eating/cooking plans Tuesday 12/28/10?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Well I am planning to make my first pressure cooker pot roast today.

Any plans?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
We're going shopping, then to see Harry Potter (I got tickets for Christmas), and then to dinner - maybe Dim Sum.

SilverSage

Resident Crone

Attachments

• raisin bran muffins 003.jpg
    raisin bran muffins 003.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 122
  • raisin bran muffins 008.jpg
    raisin bran muffins 008.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

lilylove

scrambled eggs with leftover fajita meat for breakfast.

Lunch unknown but... prbly just a sandwich

Dinner out somewhere. I've cooked toooo much for a vacation. ;)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmm that last muffin pic is killer, Sage.

Don't know what's going to be for dinner. Maybe a trip to Subway on my 30.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Meaty ham bone in the fridge, probably bean soup - hmmmm do I have to have split peas, none in my pantry. Thinking navy bean ... I don't really have a recipe, just always kind of throw it together. Ideas from anyone?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Ham with navy beans sounds really good to me...do you use a quick soak? I do often, because I rarely plan ahead that well, to set the beans out to soak the night before.

DH has requested ham and eggs with hashbrowns for dinner. He so seldom asks for anything specific, I'm happy to oblige.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Ham with navy beans sounds really good to me...do you use a quick soak? I do often, because I rarely plan ahead that well, to set the beans out to soak the night before.

DH has requested ham and eggs with hashbrowns for dinner. He so seldom asks for anything specific, I'm happy to oblige.
I don't make dry beans often because it takes so long to cook. But I am going to try with the pressure cooker as soon as possible. I still have smoked ham from the last time in the freezer (no bone but it should still be good).

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Yes, I am doing a quick soak for the same reason - plan ahead - what's that?? I read on the Cook Illustrated site that soaking is over rated, not necessary just be sure to cook the beans long enough. They also claim that early salting does not make the beans tough as I was always told.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Yes, I am doing a quick soak for the same reason - plan ahead - what's that?? I read on the Cook Illustrated site that soaking is over rated, not necessary just be sure to cook the beans long enough. They also claim that early salting does not make the beans tough as I was always told.
If I use a pressure cooker do I NEED to soak the beans? Soaking is to help speed the cooking right? Pressure cooking cooks quicker than normal cooking to begin with?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Soaking also cleans the beans and eliminates some of the stuff that causes, um, uh, discomfort. I just read that on the site that Mama linked to...here's the info:
http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtosoak.html
Are you eluding to the "music" produced? :tongue: LOL I have heard so many opinions on soaking and the gas issue on both sides of the topic. 1 - Soak in cold water, rinse then cook, 2 - bring to boil, turn off soak and rinse, repeat 3X then cook. Also on to salt or not to salt. It is crazy!! LOL I guess what they say about opinions and a certain part of the anatomy is correct. :lol: I will try both ways.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
There's a pressure soak method on the same page that Karen was referring to.

1. Cover beans by 3 inches of water. Bring to pressure. Cook 5 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat, and let pressure drop naturally.
  3. Drain and discard the water and rinse beans.
  4. Proceed with the recipe.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
I have never cooked with a pressure cooker and love dry beans. I am intimidated by the pressure thing. Guess i should get over it.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
There's no need to be intimidated anymore. The new cookers have multiple safety devices.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
There's no need to be intimidated anymore. The new cookers have multiple safety devices.
I was traumatized when I was a kid by my mom's pressure cooker. It was in the 60's and the pot had what looked like a spike in the middle of the lid, sitting on top of that was a solid metal block with a hole in it, this sat on top of the spike and rattled when the steam escaped. Well one time mom used and I have no clue why this happened but that solid block of metal rocketed straight up, hit the ceiling and then plummeted to the floor. Scared the hell out of me and we didn't see the cat for 2 days!!

They are A LOT safer now!! No metal rattle!!

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
My first pressure cooker Pot Roast (bottom round seasoned and browned on all sides, 3 cups water, 1 cup burgundy wine, 1 envelope dry beefy onion soup, 1 (8oz) can mushrooms – pieces & stems w/liquid, & 1 TBSP gravy Master , red & Yukon potatoes, celery & carrots) and mixed green salad dressed with EVOO & lemon juice.

122810_pot_roast_pressurer_cooker.jpg

122810_pot_roast_veggies_pressurer_cooker.jpg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Arrived home two hours ago from a 4300 mile Christmas trip. We picked up a couple of fillets and some broccoli and did the meat on a grill pan. Rather simple but the meat was excellent.

K

Kimchee

enchilada powder made..... beef is braising in the oven..... beans are ready to be fried....

I'm such a slow cook! ;)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
my version of Daeji Bulgogi (Korean pork)

i didnt grill it which would have been better but it was good

295zj7k.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Peeps your roast came out beautiful, didn't it?
Really yummy looking dinner you had there.

Jeff that Korean pork looks great.

LS.. I love that combination of veggies!! :flowers:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peeps your roast came out beautiful, didn't it?
Really yummy looking dinner you had there.

Jeff that Korean pork looks great.

LS.. I love that combination of veggies!! :flowers:
Thank you Sass. Next time longer for the meat under pressure. And the veggies will be cooked without pressure. We/I like our veggies barely cooked. Just till they turn bright and tender still with some bite and crunch. This was the first run so some adjustment period is needed with anything new.