What's cooking Monday, 2-20-2017 thru Sunday, 2-26-2017

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Dashi with udon noodles, pork meatballs, spinach, enoki and beech mushrooms for Monday's dinner.

37240-albums1071-picture6875.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Last night was a Sunday roast beef dinner with potahhtoes, carrots- all seasoned with rosemary and thyme, salads too.

Tonight was every man and woman for themselves lol
I opted for a fried baloney sandwich on Lewis Hawaiian bread with bread and butter pickles, mayo and lettuce- a stack of Pringles on the side.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Sunday was Meat Loaf -

Last night was left-overs.............

Tonight is Souper Tuesday ....

Zippy Black bean Soup, and Tuna Salad / Egg Salad Sandwiches...
Probably Potato Salad..........

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
What's cooking NCT Tuesday 2/21/2017 - Saturday 2/25/2017?

I Made Stuffed Shells

stuffed_shells_1_P1100001.jpg

stuffed_shells_2_P1100003.jpg

stuffed_shells_3_P1090341.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: What's cooking NCT Sunday 2/19/2017 - Saturday 2/25/2017?

Those look wonderful, Peep!

I made them, too, over the weekend - stuffed with the usual ricotta, egg, mozzarella, PLUS spinach and pesto! Baked along with browned Italian sausage.

Shoulda taken a pic.

Lee

Dogboa

We always try to make a big meatloaf, assuring leftovers for another meal and sandwiches.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Re: What's cooking NCT Sunday 2/19/2017 - Saturday 2/25/2017?

Those look wonderful, Peep!

I made them, too, over the weekend - stuffed with the usual ricotta, egg, mozzarella, PLUS spinach and pesto! Baked along with browned Italian sausage.

Shoulda taken a pic.

Lee
Great minds. LOL I never put spinach in the filling. But do serve steamed spinach as a side.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I make small individual meatloaves because everyone likes different add-ins. Plus some like glaze and some don't. Plus we all like the nice browned, crisp sides.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We had lasagna made sort of like an old Macaroni Grill dish. Theirs had 2 layers each of the following but I just did 1 layer each because A) we don't have a really deep lasagna pan, except a HUGE one, and B) we made two 9x9 dishes and froze one. I used about a pound each of the loose meats.

There was a layer of provolone and pepperoni slices, another layer of Italian sausage (squeezed out of casings and cooked) plus mozzarella, a layer of seasoned ricotta (my idea/addition), and a layer of ground beef cooked with onion, garlic, basil, and a bit of the tomato sauce plus parm and moz, topped with a layer of lasagna noodles plus some sauce and parm. You use minimal sauce on each layer (none on the g. beef layer) and then serve with extra sauce.

I always make a good bit of sauce so there will be extra for when it's served.

I use the Barilla no-bake noodles, but I pre-soak them in some just boiled water for a few minutes before I use them (enough for a layer at a time), plus I usually sprinkle a little water on them once they are in the pan.

This works out great for us because I don't like a lot of sauce, but Dogboa does, with the added benefit that it cuts and serves beautifully (especially if you make all 9 layers in 1 pan) because there is a minimal amount of T. sauce. This is another of his favorite dishes.

We didn't get a picture because we were just too hungry after smelling it cooking for so long and forgot.

For dessert, we had a pound cake made with the leftover ricotta. I'm making that again, it was delicious.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Tonight I'll finally get to those Popcorn shrimp....:popcorn:
Definitely a stir-fry, but could be sweet/sour or kung pao, haven't decided yet.... would have to chase down pineapple for the one, and it's raining... :umbrella::hide:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
We had lasagna made sort of like an old Macaroni Grill dish. Theirs had 2 layers each of the following but I just did 1 layer each because A) we don't have a really deep lasagna pan, except a HUGE one, and B) we made two 9x9 dishes and froze one. I used about a pound each of the loose meats.

There was a layer of provolone and pepperoni slices, another layer of Italian sausage (squeezed out of casings and cooked) plus mozzarella, a layer of seasoned ricotta (my idea/addition), and a layer of ground beef cooked with onion, garlic, basil, and a bit of the tomato sauce plus parm and moz, topped with a layer of lasagna noodles plus some sauce and parm. You use minimal sauce on each layer (none on the g. beef layer) and then serve with extra sauce.

I always make a good bit of sauce so there will be extra for when it's served.

I use the Barilla no-bake noodles, but I pre-soak them in some just boiled water for a few minutes before I use them (enough for a layer at a time), plus I usually sprinkle a little water on them once they are in the pan.

This works out great for us because I don't like a lot of sauce, but Dogboa does, with the added benefit that it cuts and serves beautifully (especially if you make all 9 layers in 1 pan) because there is a minimal amount of T. sauce. This is another of his favorite dishes.

We didn't get a picture because we were just too hungry after smelling it cooking for so long and forgot.

For dessert, we had a pound cake made with the leftover ricotta. I'm making that again, it was delicious.

:soapbox::weneedpics_smi:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I'll get a pic when we cook the pan in the freezer. Dogboa pretty much demolished the rest of it last night and this morning already. Did I mention, this is one of his favs? :laugh:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Re: What's cooking NCT Tuesday 2/21/2017 - Saturday 2/25/2017?

Is somebody gonna fold these two competing threads together, or what :confused:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I don't see three threads. If I missed one, plese help me and report the third one. I have merged the two threads.

Please remember that when threads merge the posts appear in date / time order.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
did the flat iron - (inserting broken record . . .) super tender&juicy&delish..... you could chew this with your tongue....

Attachments

• DSC_5179.jpg
    DSC_5179.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_5182.jpg
    DSC_5182.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 134

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
C-man, flat iron has been the cut of steak I've bought the last 4 or 5 times I've seen it on sale.

I guess you call it a "steak", right?

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
steak is the usual description applied - btw I found an online video of how it is cut - showing the big chunk of toughie down the middle. it also explains the difference in appearance. the part cut from the out side is a smooth muscle, but cut from the interior side does not have that smooth appearance....

and (sigh) there's so much BS and mal-information in various places - 'is uniform in thickness and rectangular in shape' for example. not found a rectangular one yet, and altho the interior side is more uniform in thickness the exterior tapers quite noticeably.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Wednesday's dinner, 2/22, was roasted chicken thighs, sweet potatoes, and blood oranges, with a chickpea, castelvetrano olive and feta salad. Recipe from the February Bon Appetit mag.

picture.php

Johnny West

Tonight was pan fried Hormel pork tenderloins finished off in the oven with onions and a sliced russet. This was something my Grandmother used to make except she used regular chops.

Attachments

• ########Pork Chop I.JPG
    ########Pork Chop I.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 113
  • ########Pork Chop MS.JPG
    ########Pork Chop MS.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 119

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Looks good JW! We sometimes make them in between layers of scalloped potatoes (no cheese).

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Last night's Sweet/Sour Popcorn Shrimp...

Baked Tilapia fillets w/ Red Taters and Garlic Spinach tonight.

Johnny West

Lunch was a chicken caesar salad at Appleby's with my friend Rod.

For tonight's dinner the mrs is making a smoked salmon and goat cheese quiche. It's from a Jewish food blog.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Last night's Baked Tilapia, Roasted Red Potatoes, and Lima Beans...

Tonight the Warden is carrying home a Pizza.........

Cooksie

Site Supporter
The power of suggestion...I've got a corned beef in the crock pot just simmering away.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Thursday's dinner was Vietnamese chicken rice soup. Chicken broth was flavored with cinnamon stick, fresh ginger, star anise and cloves. Chicken was cooked in the broth and then shredded. Palm sugar and fish sauce were added in after the chicken was taken out and when the sushi rice went in to cook. Garnishes were cilantro, green and red onion, and sliced jalapenos.

36788-albums309-picture6876.jpg