Curdling Alfredo sauce?

Barbara!

So, I've tried this recipe a few times:
Olive Garden Garlic Alfredo Sauce

1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1 pint heavy cream
1 -2 teaspoon garlic powder ( start with 1 and taste)
salt & freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese or 2/3 cup romano cheese
In a medium to large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the cream cheese and whisk to smooth and melted. Whisk in the heavy cream. Season with the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a good simmer and whisk frequently until sauce thickens, around 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning's.

And my most frequent problem is curdling of the sauce. It drives me nuts and ruins the sauce. I usually use more cream cheese than recommended, and heavy whipping cream instead of just cream (is there a difference?), and a little less butter. But somewhere along the way, usually while it is hot, the butter will separate and the cream will start to curdle.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? This is such a good recipe and I absolutely love it when it comes out right. Would love to be able to get it right everytime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
My guess would be that maybe you've got the heat too high. Heat and acid are the 2 most common things that cause a sauce to curdle. You could also try using a double boiler.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I think cooking for 25 minutes is way to long. I would just cook till cream cheese is melted add other ingredients and just cook till warm and melted.

Barbara!

Thanks guys! I think you may be right. It usually starts curdling at the end of the cook time and at the highest temp. I just like slightly burning it sometimes, but I will try and see how it is if I don't scald it. What would you guys suggest for cook time and heat?

Is whipping cream the same as cream?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Heavy cream and heavy whipping cream are pretty much the same thing. Both contain 36-38% butterfat. I think they add carrageenan or other additives to "whipping cream" to help the cream remain stable when whipped. Regular whipping cream contains about 30% butterfat. Any of those should work just fine in this recipe.

As for the time....I'm guessing here but I would say simmer on medium low for maybe 5 to 10 minutes....just until it starts to thicken. I'd also swap out the garlic powder for a couple of cloves of minced garlic.

PanchoHambre

Hi Barbara. Mama is wise and her comments on the heat are spot on but also - Alfredo just simply does not include cream cheese - I am sorry if this comes as obnoxious - I live in PA and we have the most wonderful cream cheese imaginable but it just does not go in Alfredo sauce - ever! Alfredo is simple and thrives on the best ingredients http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/fettuccine-alfredo-recipe/index.html I am not always a fan but these instructions are simple and clear - try wit the Parmigano Reggiano - good quality cream etc and you will make an alfredo to "die for" One of those recipes that relies heavily on very good ingredients and only minimal expertise. Its an easy win - learn to love it.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Hi Barbara. Mama is wise and her comments on the heat are spot on but also - Alfredo just simply does not include cream cheese - I am sorry if this comes as obnoxious - I live in PA and we have the most wonderful cream cheese imaginable but it just does not go in Alfredo sauce - ever! Alfredo is simple and thrives on the best ingredients http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/fettuccine-alfredo-recipe/index.html I am not always a fan but these instructions are simple and clear - try wit the Parmigano Reggiano - good quality cream etc and you will make an alfredo to "die for" One of those recipes that relies heavily on very good ingredients and only minimal expertise. Its an easy win - learn to love it.
I agree about the cream cheese.

BTW The alfredo recipe I use doesn't even really cook the sauce. The hot pasta finishes the heating. We love it.

Alfredo Sauce

3/4 cup 1/2 & 1/2 - room temperature
3/4 stick of butter - softened
3/4 cup grated Romano and parmesan cheeses (3/4 cup total of both cheeses mixed together)
Fresh Parsley chopped fine or dry - to taste
Salt - to taste
Ground black pepper - to taste

Heat half and half and butter in glass measuring cup in microwave or pan on stove till warm (DO NOT BOIL). Place in bowl (large enough to toss with pasta). Add remaining ingredients and stir. Add hot cooked pasta to bowl and toss well.

Leni

I've had Fettuccini Alfredo at Alfredo's in Rome. Guess what guys, there is no cream in his sauce. It is strictly butter and parmesan cheese with herbs. European butter is not the same as ours. It is a lot creamer and that's probably how the cream got into the American version of this recipe.

Barbara!

Yep, but good Alfredo can certainly have cream! Lol. I personally like the American version better than Alfredo's if I'm wanting something a bit thicker..

I also like the cream cheese because it gives it a little more substance, but could that be adding to the curdling factor? If so, I will try it without it. If that doesn't make a difference, I may keep trying it. (I also add cream cheese to my marinara sauce sometimes too... I just really like the texture it creates.)

The only reason I don't usually like the butter recipes is because for leftovers, and even if you are a particularly slow eater, you end up with creamy/cheesy noodles sitting in a pool of butter on your plate... Which is why I like to cut down the butter in most Alfredo recipes I try.

Thanks for all the advice and tips! I'm taking a swing at it again this week, and will let you know how lowering the heat works out.

PanchoHambre

I may keep trying it. (I also add cream cheese to my marinara sauce sometimes too... I just really like the texture it creates.)

what you like is the most important thing! really, you gotta love what you make first. Perhaps a marscapone would give the texture you like but integrate better - tends to be a little softer than american cream cheese just a thought

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
buy a heavy whisk. get the edges of the pan. be patient. keep the sauce at a near-simmer. u can fix a broken sauce, btw. i've pointers.
cannot hurry a classical sauce-

Brendenn

Yep high heat is always your enemy, so is letting it be on the heat too long. If you absolutely need the cream cheese, try mixing it in once the heat is off and add a little at a time. Remember just because the flame isn't on doesn't mean the pot isn't still hot

Ian M.

When I was first in cooking school, sauces were nearly my undoing and it was awhile before I was comfortable with them. Eventually I learned that, as Pogo used to say, I had seen the enemy and it was US!! Me and too high heat. Lower the heat and take the pot off if need be - best advice ever!

Ian