VeraBlue's Turkey Gumbo with Roux Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Discussion on this tutorial can be found here: http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12988

One of the reasons a gumbo tastes so fantastic is the roux. It's not that difficult if you take your time and don't leave it alone. Roux likes a friend.

This recipe makes enough for 10-12 people and freezes well if you don't have 10 to 12 people for dinner.

For the roux you need 1 C of fat and 1 1/4 c flour. It's usually 1 to 1, but I like my roux a bit drier. The fat can be of your choice, but I prefer the flavour of butter. In this particular case, I used 3/4 c butter, and got the remaining fat from the turkey carcass and by sauteing the andouille (rendering the fat) with the butter. Remove the andouille and any undissolved turkey fat once the butter melts. Add the flour and wisk till it's incorporated. This is a blonde roux

January2010015.jpg

Traditionally, to get the roux to a dark brown you should either listen to both sides of an LP or drink two beers. Unfortunately, there are no more LPs and we all drink at different paces.....People tend to walk away from the roux using these techniques, as well. Then, the bottom burns giving the roux a bitter taste. You can achieve the desired result in just 10 minutes if you continue to wisk the roux at a medium high heat. This is a roux the colour of milk chocolate

January2010016.jpg

And it's ready for the addition of the remaining gumbo ingredients.

1 C diced onion
1 C diced celery
1 C diced green pepper
3 minced garlic cloves
12 C turkey stock (Simply put the carcass into a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes - this will also help get all the meat off the bones)
3 C pulled turkey meat
4 andouille sausages, sliced 1/2 inch on the bias (if you cannot get this, use any smoked sausage you can find)
1/4 C green onions, sliced on a bias
3 C sliced okra
Salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning to taste

Once the roux has turned the colour of milk chocolate add the onions and cook in the roux for 10 minutes, stirring very often.
January2010017.jpg

January2010018.jpg

As you do this, the onions will caramelize and the roux will darken a bit more.

Next, add the peppers, celery, garlic and sliced sausage. Cook for 1 minute. Strain the turkey stock/water and add to the gumbo pot. Stir well, incorporating the roux into the water. You may need to add some chicken or turkey base. Do this to taste. Add 1/2 the green onions and the turkey at this time. Cook over low heat 3-4 hours, stirring several times an hour. After the third hour add the okra and then taste for seasonings. I like about 2T cajun seasoning but you may not. Add a little at a time, you can always add more. Give the okra a chance to help thicken the gumbo so let it cook another 30 minutes after you add it.
January2010019.jpg

Ladle the gumbo into a bowl. Add a cup of white rice to the center of the bowl. Sprinkle sliced green onion over the top. Serve with Louisianna hot sauce for individual use.

January2010026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.