Looking for the best Chicken salad recipe

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just had a great chicken salad sandwich. It made me wonder about how you guys make your chicken salad.
Arby's makes one that has loads of things along with chicken in it. Lots of fruit and nuts. Love the sandwich but then found out it has over 800 calories. :eek: Can't handle that for sure.
How about it, do any of you make a chicken salad sandwich that other folks rave over? Will you share the recipe?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Don't know how many calories would be saved,but this would be darned close to Arby's.

3 cups leftover rotisserie chicken
1/2 c reduced calorie mayo
2 T low fat sour cream
1 c sliced grapes
1 cored apple, diced
3 green onions, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 T lemon juice

Mix it all up and chill, then have it on a grainy bread with lettuce.

Deelady

Heres one that I love that an old co-worker always brought for pot lucks....

1 whole cooked chicken shredded ( I use canned white meat)
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 cup thinly slicked toasted almonds
mayo to taste
salt and pepper to taste
whole grain bread (the kind with nuts really compliments this chicken salad!)

Combine ingredients and spread evenly onto bread. To serve for parties cut off crust and cut into quarted triangles or creative shapes using cookie cutters :)

The curry and almonds in this really adds a nice subtle difference to this chicken salad to others!

Enjoy!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Dee. It does sound good. I'll be sure to try this one too. :D

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My favorite is just chicken with Hellman's mayo, and maybe a little celery salt.

I could eat it every day.

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Both sound good Lee and Suzi.
Lee, do you use the canned chicken or do you cook your own. I was thinking of using chicken breasts cooked on the grill to try a few of these recipes. :D

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use my own cooked chicken, Doc. Or turkey. Usually it's leftover from something else, but if I'm cooking chicken specifically to make chicken salad, I'll grill the boneless breasts on the panini-maker.

If you are cooking them outside, that will add a great flavor!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
i made one last week with a leftover roasted lemon chicken. just added mayo, salt, and minced celery. it was kinda strange with the lemon flavour, but good.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use my own cooked chicken, Doc. Or turkey. Usually it's leftover from something else, but if I'm cooking chicken specifically to make chicken salad, I'll grill the boneless breasts on the panini-maker.

If you are cooking them outside, that will add a great flavor!

Lee

Yep, I was going to cook them outside. Hoping that does add a great flavor. I'm also considering (and I have not even tried these recipes yet) grilling some outside that has been marinaded in Italian dressing (I love chicken marinaded in Italian chicken) just to see what flavor that adds to the mix. Like BT and the lemon chicken, I'm not sure it will compliment the chicken salad. But it should be fun trying.

High Cheese

Saucier
Chicken, celery, little red onion, Hellmans, salt and pepper. sometimes I add a bit of red or green bell pepper. I only use enough mayo to coat the salad. Lots of pepper.

You can cut down on some of the calories by using bibb lettuce leaves for wraps.

AllenOK

I use leftover cooked chicken, preferably dark meat. Dark meat is juicier, and more flavorful. Dice the meat, add some finely diced onion, diced celery, chopped hard-boiled egg, some sweet relish, mayo to coat, salt and pepper, and my secret seasoning, TARRAGON!

Deelady

Heres another I thought sounded tasty!!

Margarita Grilled Chicken Salad

4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups margarita drink mix (with no alchohol)
1 tsp ground umin
1 tsp lime zest
1/2 cup mayo or dressing
2 TB lime juice
1/8 tsp ceyenne pepper
4 medium tomatoes sliced
2 medium avocados sliced
1/2 med red onion thinly sliced
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper

Place chicken in resealale bag and set in shallow dish. For marinade combine in a bowl, margarita mix, cumin, and lime peel. Pour over chicken, seal bag and marinate in fridge 2-8 hrs. Drain chicken and discard marinade.
Grill chicken until no longer pink in center. Remove from grill and cool slightly.
In a smal bowl combine mayo, lime juice, and ceyenne. Coarsely chop chicken, add to may mixture,, gently toss.
Serve on top of tomato slices, top with avocado and onion slices, sprinkle with pepper.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I like this one, which is a version of Jason's Deli Chicken Salad

1 large can chunk chicken, drained
1 can of crushed Pineapple, partially drained
1/4 - 1/2 cup toasted, slivered almonds
Mayo - enough to hold together or more, if you like

I like it best served on a thick, country white bread.

Last Summer Subway came out with an Orchard Chicken Salad foot long sub that wasn't too shabby -- chunks of white meat chicken, cranberries or craisins, apples, golden raisins and mayo. I had mine on a whole grain sub, topped with spinach, and thinly sliced red onions. Not bad for $5.00.

I made a similar version at home with about 2 cups of chopped grilled chicken breast (w/ lemon juice & lemon pepper), mayo, chopped cherries, walnuts, raisins, chopped red onion & chopped apples. You could prob sub the cherries w/ cranberries. I served it in little bread bowls. (I feel like I'm forgetting something, but you can always add in what you like.)

I recently bumped into this fruity chicken salad sandwich that made my mouth water:

http://www.peppercornpress.com/blog/recipes/chicken-salad-recipes.html

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
There are times when some cut grapes, fresh tarragon and walnuts in the salad are perfect...but for the most part, less is best for me.
Diced chicken, hellman's mayonnaise, diced celery, salt and pepper.

pappy19

Don't know how many calories would be saved,but this would be darned close to Arby's.

3 cups leftover rotisserie chicken
1/2 c reduced calorie mayo
2 T low fat sour cream
1 c sliced grapes
1 cored apple, diced
3 green onions, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 T lemon juice

Mix it all up and chill, then have it on a grainy bread with lettuce.

Throw in a Tbls of fresh rosemary chopped fine and you've got mine. Good stuff.

Pap

Here's my favorite, although I never make a sandwich out of it; just enjoy it on a bed of greens:

BREEZY CHICKEN (OR TURKEY) SALAD

All ingredient amounts to taste:

Shredded or diced cooked regular or smoked poultry
Diced Smoked Gouda cheese
Halved red or green seedless grapes
Walnut pieces
Mayo to bind
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
Optional: minced shallots, diced celery

Combine & serve on a bed of mixed salad greens.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
-cooked chix (i poach breasts/tenderloin) diced
-english cuke, peeled or unpeeled, diced
-mayonnaise
-grn. curry paste
-salt/pepper may be used

blend together, then blenderize. great on plain 'ol toasted bread.

Embryodad

Mommy Tina asked me to make some Chicken salad for her and DIL.

I said, OK, but I took a stroll through some of the sandwich threads and posts, and found some great recipe's..

DIL said, "Dad, you make the bestest chicken salad I have ever tasted.

I didn't think it was anything that great, but because I cooked the chicken, and I made it...even I had some. It surprised the heck out of me. It wasn't that bad. LOL

Dads Chicken Salad

4 to 4-½ cups cooked roasted chicken ( diced )
1 medium yellow onion halved-( *½ set aside )-( ½ diced fine)
1 medium (*clove of garlic To be pureed )
2 stalks of celery-( *1 set aside )-( 1 Diced fine)
1 hand-full (*celery leaves set aside )
2 tsp. *lemon juice
1 Tbs. *extra virgin olive oil ( preferred ) or good olive oil
2 tsp. dried parsley leaves
1 tsp. Kosher salt
¾ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
¼ tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. green emerald sweet relish ( or any sweet pickled relish)
(( * Items to be pureed ))
=========================================
1.-In a blender, or mini- food processor …add the one stalk of *celery / *celery leaves / ½ *onion / *lemon juice / *oil/ * Garlic and puree well.
2.-In a large bowl add all the ingredients, together with the pureed mixture. Stir and mix well…………
3.- Enjoy!!!!!

thegrindre

I'd like to add that dicing that celery is very important. You could also de-string it. (It's what I do to my celery.) Either way is necessary cuz those strings can wrap around the cutter's shaft and be a health risk and/or cause mechanical problems with your machine.
Celery string can be an issue.
I find that de-stringing celery makes it a sweeter morsel to eat, too.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'd like to add that dicing that celery is very important. You could also de-string it. (It's what I do to my celery.) Either way is necessary cuz those strings can wrap around the cutter's shaft and be a health risk and/or cause mechanical problems with your machine.
Celery string can be an issue.
I find that de-stringing celery makes it a sweeter morsel to eat, too.

I hate stringy celery as well! In fact, I don't like ANY stringy veggies.

I usually pulse-chop the onions, bell pepper and celery in the food processor. Then I pulse-chop the cooked chicken as well and blend all the ingredients in a large bowl. :eating2: