Pickled Peppers?

DanMcG

It looks like I'm going to have a bumper crop of hot Hungarian peppers and besides my usual drying and grinding into a powder I think I'd like to pickle some into a veggie medley or garden mix.
I spend a couple minutes looking at the list of forums and didn't see a pickle and preserving forum. is there one?
and anyone car to help out a nonpickler?
Thanks, Dan
403609033.jpg

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I do not know of one either. We are definitely coming into the season.

Let's see how many are interested. Please post here.

I have been wanting to try canning this fall.

chilefarmer

Here is one recipe that is pretty good. I think it would work for any Chile. I smoke and grind most of my Chiles, much easier for me. Hope these work for you. CF

Peppadew Pickled Peppers
This comes from Africa
Cut off stem and deseed unless you want burning hot peppers. It's best to use surgical gloves, as the peppers can make your fingers burn. Cut off the stem end and scrape out the seeds with a small teaspoon. Try to remove all the seeds. Dissolve about 4 tablespoons sea salt in just over 2 cups water. (We have metric measurements: 60g salt to 600ml water.
In another submission of this recipe, the author gave the following instructions: Leave overnight in a brine consisting of 2 ounces kosher/coarse salt and about 2 1/3 cups water). Drop peppers into brine after deseeding, and leave them in for a few hours or overnight. (Increase brine mixture according to volume of peppers!) Put a plate or other weight on top if necessary, to stop them from bobbing on top.
Before continuing, be sure your jars, caps and rings are very clean and sterilized in boiling water. Leave in the hot water until ready to fill the jars.
Syrup ingredients:
1-1/2 cups good vinegar, grape or wine or malt (5% acetic acid)
1-1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
a few pieces sliced fresh ginger
some fresh garlic cloves
2 tablespoons crushed peppercorns (the mixed peppercorns are nice)
some bay or lemon leaves
a little sea salt
Additional ingredients: 2 whole green chili peppers, reserved, optional extra small whole green chili peppers for garnish
Combine the syrup ingredients in a non-reactive pot that is large enough to hold the peppers. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Then bring to a rolling boil. Take care, as the mixture does foam up a bit.
In the meantime, rinse the brined peppers. Place in a colander or sieve and shake to remove as much moisture as possible. Add the peppers along with the green chili peppers to the boiling syrup. Boil for a minute or two. Use a slotted spoon to fill the jars with the peppers. Push them in; you want to fill the bottles nicely! Then pour over the boiling hot mixture. Use a small rubber spatula along with gentle tapping and rotation of the jars in to fill the pepper hollows with the syrup. You can add a green chili to each jar for decorative purposes if you like. Final filling should be to 1/2-inch of the top.
Here is one for the Jalapeño Chile.
Pickled Jalapeños
In a clean sterilized jar place:
    • 1 teaspoon olive oil...
    • 1 teaspoon oregano...
    • 1 toe of garlic that has been sliced in half...
    • We add baby carrots and onions too...
Then pack your peppers with the onion and carrots in the jars... to 3/4 full. (Peppers expand with the hot water bath) pour your ... boiling brine over the peppers within 1/2 inch of the top... Seal by hot water bath method for 20 minutes. Let the jars sit on... a shelf for at lease 2 weeks for the best flavor...
Brine...

• 1 1/2 quarts water (about 6 cups)...
    • 2 cups white vinegar...
    • 1/2 cup pickling salt...
Mix above and bring to a boil... HINT: the peppers are easier to pack when you place them in... Boiling water for 1 minute... Make sure the peppers are free ... from bruises...Enjoy!