Razor Clams

Mr. Green Jeans

For those not familiar with this PNW right of passage, it is a big deal here (probably one thing that helps us keep our sanity through the long winter). My son and fiancee are visiting over Easter weekend and Washington Fish and Wildlife announced that the beaches will be open for razor clams that weekend.
We'll do the hunter gatherer thing and have a pie iron breakfast on the beach.
Here's info on the event: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/razorclm/razorclm.htm The burning question will be chowder, fritters, or just fried?

Calicolady

I think I remember Anthony Bordaine doing an episode on retreiving these. If you don't get them just right, they're ruined. And you need some type of tool. It's a tough job.
And funny if they squirt you in the face.
I'm going to see if Doc can create a catagory for Events. Then we can put this thread and my thread on our local seafood festival (past tense) in there to get it started. Thanks for the info, MGJ.
As spring approaches, I for one would like to see all the members' local events posted in one area.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
That sounds like it would be cool... and I can't imagine what it would be like to eat clams that fresh!!! Take some pics GJ!

AllenOK

I've only had them fried.

When I lived up in Michigan, I walked in one day, getting ready for work. I noticed a note taped to the Chef's reefer, from the GM. It stated that "The President (of the board of directors), and her husband (inside joke in the club) was requesting that Fried Clams be added to the menu. Let me know when it happens."

Basically, word from on high to "make it happen". We ordered in a 5 lb tub of shucked, whole-belly razor clam meat, that we portioned, bagged, and froze. All they had to do was call in about two hours ahead so we could thaw them. We had a store-bought breading mix that we used for fish, and just dredged in that.

Honestly, they were pretty good. We charged enough to get 100% profit on it. Since they were kept frozen, no loss. Of course, we probably suffered from quality issues by freezing it.

lilylove

OH YEAH!!! A trip to the Oregon coast is not complete with out Razor clams!

And the answer to your question Mr. G. is ALL OF THE ABOVE! LOL!

Mr. Green Jeans

A cache from last season and the dreaded clam gun.

Attachments

• DSC00344.jpg
    DSC00344.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 137

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
fritters? Not familiar with that one. Chowder and fried yes, I prefer them in the half shell cooked in black bean sauce....er... I think it is black bean sauce... its the way they do them at the Chinese buffet we go to.

Mr. Green Jeans

Unlike other species of clam, razors have to be cleaned. Check the link I posted. Fritters though are like a crab cake but mostly meat.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Ahh, that makes sense and sounds tasty too! You should post a recipe of you have one... no pressure LOL.

Mr. Green Jeans

Since you asked . . .

Razor Clam Fritters

1 C. chopped razor clams (reserve the liquid)
1 bottle flat beer
1 1/2 C. pancake mix
6 green onions - cut very thin, use greens
1/2 green pepper - cut very thin
1 stalk celery - cut very thin

Mix onions, celery, green pepper and pancake mix together. Add clams and juice to other ingredients, then add beer till you have a very thick mixture that can be dropped from spoon into hot oil at 375 . You may not need all the beer because of the clam juice. Drop by spoonful in oil - cook 2 min. per side - test, if not cooked- drop by smaller spoonfuls.