$170 Laptops at woot.com!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor

$169.99

• + $5 shipping
Condition:NewProduct: 1 Asus EEEPC900A-WFBB01 8.9", Atom N270, 4G SSD, 1GB DDR2, Linux, 802.11bg

My oldest son and daughter both have one of these and they are wonderful for mobile computing. You can use them as your primary computer if you don't mind the tiny keyboard (not for people with large hands) and if you buy a portable USB hard drive - this only has a 4 gb drive.

Sorry, Woot doesn't ship out of the continental US yet.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Exactly - it's an e-machine for sure. It would not be a first choice for a primary computer. But it's not exceedingly slow because it's running Linux. My daughter has this one, and my son has a Dell - both use the same Atom processor. My son's has a built-in webcam as well that is excellent. I used my son's when my mom was in the hospital - there is wi-fi in most hospitals and lots of restaurants, now. It was perfect because it fit in my bag, it was quick, it has a tiny a/c adaptor (not the usual big power brick).

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Exactly - it's an e-machine for sure. It would not be a first choice for a primary computer. But it's not exceedingly slow because it's running Linux. My daughter has this one, and my son has a Dell - both use the same Atom processor. My son's has a built-in webcam as well that is excellent. I used my son's when my mom was in the hospital - there is wi-fi in most hospitals and lots of restaurants, now. It was perfect because it fit in my bag, it was quick, it has a tiny a/c adaptor (not the usual big power brick).

why not an emachine? i run a emachine for my main computer.Emachines is actually owned by Gateway and seems to do everything my "better" computer does.

i paid 199.99 on sale just after X-mas for mine. it's better than most because it came with XP...lol

plus its small... the dimensions are 10.7" H x 4.2" W x 15" D

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
E-Machines were designed for one thing…surfing the net. Even when they run Windows, they are running a stripped down version to save resources. Some don’t even have a hard-drive and instead use solid state storage (think flash drive). They have low bus speed, low memory, low local storage space, and a small footprint.

I’ve not seen one yet with an optical drive.

They are ideal as a surfer and e-mail checker which is what they are designed for. But they were never designed to be a primary machine where you load other programs for editing, video capture, etc. If all you want to do is light text editing and web browsing, the e-machines are it! With the Wi-Fi connectivity, it becomes an awesome little browser you can take anywhere!

If you want to install proggies and do more, then you’ll need more machine.

To be honest, I’m concerned about the shared video ram and low ram cont on most e-machines. Anyone have one and tried streaming video from YouTube? How did that work?

Nothing against the e-machines. Great and cost effective secondary machine. But I feel you need a bit more for a primary machine if you ever need to do some work.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
mine is a desktop not like the one started on this thread... for a stock little PC i am quite happy with it...it actually has been a good inexpensive little PC

i paid 150USD for it new

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=EL1200-05w

capture5.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
What cool little box! I checked the spec on it, and it has way more horse power than the average e-machine. Cached SATA hard drive, optical drive, 1 Gig ram……nice box! You basically stole that one at 150!!! God job!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
What cool little box! I checked the spec on it, and it has way more horse power than the average e-machine. Cached SATA hard drive, optical drive, 1 Gig ram……nice box! You basically stole that one at 150!!! God job!

yup in canada we always have boxing day/week specials its like thanksgiving specials where you are... if i would have had more money i would have grabbed all 7 they had and gave them away as gifts..lol

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
E-Machines were designed for one thing…surfing the net. Even when they run Windows, they are running a stripped down version to save resources. Some don’t even have a hard-drive and instead use solid state storage (think flash drive). They have low bus speed, low memory, low local storage space, and a small footprint.

I’ve not seen one yet with an optical drive.

They are ideal as a surfer and e-mail checker which is what they are designed for. But they were never designed to be a primary machine where you load other programs for editing, video capture, etc. If all you want to do is light text editing and web browsing, the e-machines are it! With the Wi-Fi connectivity, it becomes an awesome little browser you can take anywhere!

If you want to install proggies and do more, then you’ll need more machine.

To be honest, I’m concerned about the shared video ram and low ram cont on most e-machines. Anyone have one and tried streaming video from YouTube? How did that work?

Nothing against the e-machines. Great and cost effective secondary machine. But I feel you need a bit more for a primary machine if you ever need to do some work.

Solid State drives are 4x the cost of a regular drive. I havent seen ANY e-machine with a solid state drive. Why would they use them? They cost a LOT more because they are faster and more reliable. (plus new tech) ANd They all have at least a CD-Rom drive. E-machines seem to skimp on crappy motherboards, power supplies and cases. Cheap bios too. Very weak graphics on the MB. The wiring in the case blows too

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Solid State drives are 4x the cost of a regular drive. I havent seen ANY e-machine with a solid state drive. Why would they use them? They cost a LOT more because they are faster and more reliable. (plus new tech) ANd They all have at least a CD-Rom drive. E-machines seem to skimp on crappy motherboards, power supplies and cases. Cheap bios too. Very weak graphics on the MB. The wiring in the case blows too

The one you posted a while back had a 4GB SSD.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6736

http://www.softsailor.com/reviews/4324-asus-eee-pc-900a-wfbb01-netbook-with-16ghz-atom-processor-review.html

And there are PLENTY of others using them (<-- click that link). But to be factual, what I’m specifically talking about is the netbook and not e-machine (sorry for the confusion). The link you originally posted was a netbook, and the w00t laptop was as well.

In fact, look at the text of the specs that FM posted, it says right there that it is using a 4GB SSD!! :w00t:

Condition:NewProduct: 1 Asus EEEPC900A-WFBB01 8.9", Atom N270, 4G SSD, 1GB DDR2, Linux, 802.11bg

Last edited: