Saffron Risotto (Risotto Milanese)

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Risotto is unlike any other rice dish. Instead of letting it steam to keep the grains separate, you cook it and stir it to abrade the outside of the grain. This releases starch which thickens the sauce. The grains should be very creamy, with a slightly al dente center.

This particular recipe uses saffron as the flavoring, but that is optional. You can substitute asiago or romano cheese for the parmesan. Just make sure that it's a good quality cheese, since it it the predominant flavor. This is not the time to take shortcuts and use the green can!

Many people add things like mushrooms or asparagus instead of the saffron. Just make sure you keep the pieces kind of small and cook them before adding them at the end.

Saffron Risotto (Risotto Milanese)

Ingredients

1 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup carnanoli or arborio rice
1 pinch saffron threads, crumbled
1 cup white wine
2-4 cups chicken stock, hot
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
2 (more) tbsp butter
salt & pepper to taste

Procedure

*Bring stock to a simmer and keep on a back burner until needed.

*Heat butter and oil in a saucepan until the butter foam subsides.
*Add the onion and saute over medium heat until softened. Do not let it brown!
*Add the garlic, and stir until just fragrant, just a minute or two. Don't let it brown- it will make the risotto bitter.

*Add the rice and saffron and stir until all the grains are coated.
*Add the wine, stirring until it's nearly all evaporated and everything has a real creamy, saucy look. The rice will still be crunchy at this point.

*Add your first large ladle (1/2 cup to 1 cup) of stock, and stir frequently until it's mostly absorbed. Just like before, you want a thick, creamy, saucy look.

*Continue adding stock one ladle at a time, and cooking and stirring until each ladle is absorbed before adding the next. There's no real way to tell exactly how much liquid you will need. It depends on the rice, the heat (higher heat will evaporate as much as it absorbs, needing more), the diameter of the pan, the temperature of the stock, the size of the ladle, etc. I find a cup of rice needs about 3 cups of stock plus 1 cup of wine. But that varies from day to day. TRUST YOUR TASTE BUDS!

*When the rice is al dente, yet still creamy, add the cheese, extra butter, and any add-ins. If it firms up too much, add just a little more stock. Remember - creamy is the word.

*Check for seasoning. Cheeses have widely varying salt levels, so it's impossible to say how much salt you'll need. TASTE!

Attachments

• picatta risotto 004.jpg
    picatta risotto 004.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

FryBoy

I love risotto and make several different varieties using the method your describe. For Risotto Milanese, however, believe it or not I've had great success in the pressure cooker. The constant boiling in the PC simulates the usual stirring and creates the creamy texture one desires in risotto, but with a lot less fuss and much quicker, a godsend when you're preparing an entire dinner with Risotto Milanese as a side dish.

RISOTTO MILANESE
Pressure-Cooker Method

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped (about ¾ cup)
1 cup arborio rice
2 cups low-fat chicken stock
¼ cup vermouth or dry white wine
1/8 teaspoon crushed saffron
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat the oil in a pressure cooker over high heat.

Add the onion, cook, stirring, until translucent,
about 2 minutes.

Add the rice and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds
until the outer edges turn translucent.

Add the stock, wine, and saffron.

Cover and bring to high pressure over high heat.

Reduce heat to stabilize pressure. Cook 7 minutes.

Quick-release pressure and remove cover.

Stir in white pepper, salt, butter, and Parmesan.

Let sit for 2 minutes before serving.

Makes 4 Servings

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I love risotto and make several different varieties using the method your describe. For Risotto Milanese, however, believe it or not I've had great success in the pressure cooker. The constant boiling in the PC simulates the usual stirring and creates the creamy texture one desires in risotto, but with a lot less fuss and much quicker, a godsend when you're preparing an entire dinner with Risotto Milanese as a side dish.

Really, Doug! I never would have thought of that. But it sure sounds like a time saver. Thanks.

Note to self: One more reason to ask for a pressure cooker for Christmas!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Really, Doug! I never would have thought of that. But it sure sounds like a time saver. Thanks.

Note to self: One more reason to ask for a pressure cooker for Christmas!
I got a PC of last XMAS and I may try your recipe in the PC.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmm! One of these days, I'm going to make risotto!

This recipe looks like a good candidate for me to start with, SS!

Lee

homecook

SS, the risotto looks great, :thumb:I love risotto and need to make it more often! I think I'll give it a try in the PC next time. Sounds like a real time saver!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

This was the first time I have made risotto and except for a bit too much saffron it was wonderful. I was inspired by SilverSage’s recipe. I didn’t use the wine (I used extra chicken stock in its place) and I added sautéed mushrooms at the end. I also used FryBoy’s pressure cooker method. And it turned out beautiful. Only 7 minutes! WOW

Thank you SilverSage and FryBoy!

Saffron Mushroom Risotto

080611_saffron_rice.jpg