Matzo Brei

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
PanchoHombre's post re: Tex Mex Brunch where he posted a recipe for Migas (which I'd never heard of before) http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17607&postcount=1 reminded me of a similar dish (scrambled eggs and matzo) that I'd ALSO never heard of before called Matzo Brei.

I saw Sarah Moulton make it on her show and was so intrigued with it that I made her recipe. I LOVED it!

Evidently, this is a fancied-up version of a very simple Jewish dish.

I've made this a couple of times - it's really wonderful!

Lee

Matzo Brei (Sarah Moulton)

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
  • Kosher salt and freshly milled black pepper
  • 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  • 3 whole matzos
  • 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 (5.2-ounce) package herb flavored spreadable cheese , (recommended: Boursin) or 2/3 cup soft goat or cream cheese
Directions

Heat the oil in a medium skillet over high heat until hot. Reduce the heat to medium; add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Reserve the skillet and oil in which the onions were cooked.

Meanwhile squeeze the spinach well, a handful at a time to remove all the water and set aside. Break up the matzos slightly and soak them in a bowl of cold water for 3 minutes. Drain the matzos and combine them with the eggs, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Reheat the oil remaining in the reserved skillet with the butter over medium-high heat until hot. Add the matzo mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until eggs are scrambled and the matzo has begun to crisp, about 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cheese and cook until just heated through. Top each portion with a mound of the onions.

Thinly sliced onions
Thinly sliced onions, raw.JPG
Thinly sliced onions, raw.JPG
Onions, cooked.JPG
Matzo Brei.JPG
Matzo brei, plated.JPG

Caramelized, crispy onions
Onions, cooked.JPG

Matzo brei with spinach and boursin
Matzo Brei.JPG

Matzo brei, plated

Matzo brei, plated.JPG

Last edited:

CharlieD

Interesting take. Traditionaly the end result should come out as one piece. Basicaly you do not stir it. But rather let it cook on one side until set and then flip the whole thing and fry the other side. But hey, one can do what ever. My MIL makes sweet and serves it with a side of jelly, brrrr, yuk.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
It sounds good, I will have to see if I can find a picture of it to help me visualize what it should look like.
Thanks for posting the link!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Re: Mazo Brei

We made it more like scrambled eggs and not like an fahn kuchen.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

It's a running joke in our house. We always buy extra matzoh for the rest of the year, and any time we need a quick meal it's fried matzoh :)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

Gee. by the end of Pesach, I am looking forward to be eating bread again. I consider Matzoh to truly be the bread of affliction as it is horribly binding. Why do you think dried prunes and fruits are eaten during the holiday? lol

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

"every night"

Seder is always at our home, and usually about 18 people :) A lot of work, but I really enjoy it, from the matzoh ball soup to a roast beast. The real challenge is that we often have some vegans join us, so I cook two full meals.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

My mom and I always cooked two meals. Chicken and brisket with all the usual sides as suspect including the matzoh ball soup. I have tons of wonderful Passover dessert recipes. I made my mom two cookbooks from recipes that I have collected. There are some heirloom family recipes that I could share. Maybe when we get closer to the holiday.

CharlieD

Now that thread has gone completely aray. Let me tell about bread of affliction. We are so strict for Pesach we do not anything processed, absolutely nothing. The vegies and fruits that we use must have peel, so it cpuld be peeled before use for the passover, the are only 3 things that we use that are store bought. Salt, Wine, Grape juice. And even then the Juice that is use for seder is home made. :wink:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Susan, Charlie, and whomever: I am going to again make the Matzo Brei recipe I posted up top.

What would you serve with it?

I'm thinking of breakfast sausages, which, I'm sure, is not Kosher or even traditional. But would love your ideas.

Thanks!

Lee

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

It is doubtful that the boursin cheese would be kosher for passover as well. So, if it is just being eaten as a brunch dish, then you can serve all the usual brunch suspects.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter

I'm with Charlie. Might I also add that beets help with the, uh, binding effect of the holiday diet !!!

CharlieD

I serve mine with meat, so it is basicaly a side dish for me. Could be chicken or beef, or whatever else one would serve with potato or nudles.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

Gee, I have only had it like a breakfast meal--even if had at other times of day. It never occurred to me to serve it as a side dish with meat. Wow, thanks Charlie.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Bump.

I made this again tonight and updated this thread, by removing a bad link, posting the recipe, and new photos.

Lee

CharlieD

Roast with mushroom gravy and Mazo Brei fried in chicken fat sounds so delicious right now. Must be lunch time.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Made this for this past Friday night Lenten meal.

It's really delicious! I made half the recipe and thought it was a tad too spinach-y, but still wonderful!

Lee
Matzo Brei.JPG

Last edited: