Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Rarely ever.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Never.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Another thread here got me interested in this question.

Do you have a side of bread with your meals. Bread can be any kind of bread, muffin, roll, cornbread, etc. This doesn’t include things like sandwiches, pizza, etc, where the bread is an integral part of the recipe. This is only about a side of bread.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I chose "occasional". Any time there is something on the plate that can be sopped up I make sure to have a slice or two handy. Most of the bread I buy is unsliced Italian 5 Grain from Publix.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Bread is mostly eaten only as a part of the meal like french toast, grilled cheese or other sandwich.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
.........This doesn’t include things like sandwiches, pizza, etc, where the bread is an integral part of the recipe. This is only about a side of bread.

I don't consider pizza crust integral to the dish. Unless the crust is VERY thin and flavorful, I eat the toppings and toss out the crust! Most pizza crust just tastes like bread dough - yech.

To me, bread (like potatoes or pasta) is nothing but a vehicle to get other flavors into your mouth. I need toast to sop up a runny egg yolk. A slice of bread sops up the last bit of a good bouillabaisse, or 2 slices transport the bacon, lettuce or tomato. Pasta just exists to contain a sauce, and I have yet to find a real good use for potatoes. :confused:

When I was growing up bread, pasta & potatoes were just a way to stretch a pound of protein to feed 7 people. It was just filler because it was cheap. To this day, I think of all 3 as poverty eats. I know that's not true, but I just can't get past that. I do cook them, but they're not my first choices.

When I lived alone, I kept a loaf of sliced bread in the freezer. Occasionally I'd remove a slice when needed. It would last a month or two. I never bought potatoes unless I was cooking for company.

Actually, I resent people filling up on bread and rolls when I've put a well prepared spread of food in front of them.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I'm with Buzz - sometimes you need to get every drop of juice, soup, sauce or gravy, and bread is needed to do that. But I seldom buy bread - being retired means I have the time to bake my own. (It also means that we eat alot more bread, unfortunately.) Which reminds me - I was going to bake some bread to go with our soup tonight, so I'd better get busy!

mhend

Hardly ever for us. Occassionally I will make some rolls or buy some from the frozen foods section and serve them with dinner, but it's rare. I keep a loaf of bread to make sandwiches for the kids' lunches.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This is such an interesting thread!

I grew up always having bread & butter at the table (literally), so I just assumed everyone always had bread with dinner. Fascinating! Learning all the time! :thumb:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i luv bread w/ stews & that, & man (i soooooo miss my Pap!)- he gave me bread & butter w/ most foods.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is such an interesting thread!

I grew up always having bread & butter at the table (literally), so I just assumed everyone always had bread with dinner. Fascinating! Learning all the time! :thumb:
Yep, I agree with you Keltin. Like you I grew up with bread on the table for most meals, and assumed everyone else did also.
Learn something every day.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
all depends on the meal i am making.

i grew up with bread & butter on the table as well. so if bread goes with the meal then yes there is bread of some sort.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I, too, also grew up having bread on the table at every meal. Personally, I only have it occasionally with a meal but DH has to have some kind of bread with EVERY meal be it cornbread, biscuits, garlic bread or whatever.

buckytom

Grill Master
i voted always/every meal.

my family always had bread on the table when i was growing up, and my wifes family (eastern european) always did as well.

i remember it being a big deal what kind of bread my aunts and uncles would bring over from brooklyn when they came to visit on sundays. my favourite was the large, oval polish rye.

we continue that tradition to this day by the fact that, since we are the ones who live near the best ethnic bakeries in my extended family, we always are expected to bring a loaf or two to whomever's house we're visiting.

since first impressions are the strongest, my wife and i often judge a restaurant, initially anyway, by what bread they serve since it's often the first thing brought out. but, just like this thread seems to point out, not all restaurants are "bread-friendly".

i remember being in a haughty beach-side restaurant in california years ago, near laguna, when we asked the waiter for some bread or dinner rolls to go with our food. the waiter seemed confused, asked other waiters what he should do, then i saw him run out the door and come back with a loaf of wonder bread and brought us a couple of slices on a plate. lol. they weren't bread people, i guess, but aimed to please.

K

Kimchee

As a kid, we had rolls at Christmas and Thanksgiving. Otherwise, the only bread that hit our table was plain old sliced white sandwich bread for some gravy meals.
So that's pretty much my outlook today... garlic bread with spaghetti and lasagna, and every now and then with other meals that have good soppin' sauce, LOL!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Now I do fix garlic toast when we have spaghetti or lasagna but that's about it.

When I was growing up I remember my father sending me to the store to buy bread but us kids were not allowed to have any of it as it was for him and our mother. As was a lot of the rest of the food in the house. The only thing I remember my parents feeding us was oatmeal for breakfast, tomato soup for lunch and sauerkraut and wieners for supper. This was an every day thing so we, the kids didn't know any different.

The only time I remember having bread and other good foods was when I spent the summer with my grandparents and they fed us kids real well.