Freezing a sub sandwich

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
My wife and I do craft shows. We pack food, sometimes. I would like to make it most times.

A sub (grinder, hoagie, you get the idea) makes a nice lunch. The problem is, if you make it up the day before our buy one from a deli ( I know sacrilege LOL) they are soggy the next day. Or maybe. The bread is stale.

I wonder if I froze them and took them frozen. They should thaw by lunch time. Would they be yucky?

Opinions?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
When I worked at a pizza place we would lay out the cold cuts for heros and place waxed paper over top and repeat for as many Heros we wanted to have. When needed we would dress bread with oil, vinegar and spices, lettuce, tomato, etc then 1 "layer" of cold cuts.

When we go on vacation I do the same. Preslice tomatoes and onions, clean lettuce and place in baggies. Premix my dressing in a bottle (or sometimes zesty Italian dressing or sub dressing). Slice the roll(s) ahead and bag. Assemble when ready to eat.

Leni

I agree with Peeps. The main problem is the dressing and things like tomatoes that leak liquid into the bread. .

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
DW has been buying pre made subs the day before. Yes, the bread gets yucky.

Today, I made 7 pens, had to make two extra, because two blew up on the lathe. Mowed the lawn and the neighbour across the street's as well since his mower is broken. Repacked the show tent and tent walls. Pre packed for tomorrow's show. All I have left to pack in the AM is soap and wood. I will ponder this for next week's show. I recall doing something like peep suggested when I worked mid shift. That sounds like the answer. Since I now have a week, I can bake fresh rolls, just before the show.

Lots of prep this week as we got caught in a bad storm last week. Two and a half inches of rain in an hour. That was the hour we were packing up.

In case anyone is interested.

IMG_20150531_100232258_HDR.jpg

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Lots of prep this week as we got caught in a bad storm last week. Two and a half inches of rain in an hour. That was the hour we were packing up.

That used to happen to us at outdoor dog shows. We would set up in a couple of open sided tents with floor mats and side screens. Generator, grooming tables, fans, lights, dogs and all kinds of other stuff. If it rained most important was keeping the dogs dry and comfortable. If i could get to it the next day after returning home I would put the tents back up at home and lay out the screens and mats to dry. If it was a couple of days before I could do a cleanup the bleach and garden hose comes out to kill the mildew. I think back and wonder why I thought it was fun. :mrgreen:

We took a cooler with sandwich fixings, soft drinks, and water with us. I packed the cooler the night before and iced it down.

Jim

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Woah! That's a bunch Jim. We don't have that much. DW sets yo and breaks down her table, I do mine. No electric needed.