Moonshine

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Saw a jar of this at the local package store and thought I'd bring it to a barbecue at a friend's house last weekend, just for fun.

It has sort of a tequila scent, but doesn't taste as good, as you can see from my friends' expressions when they took a pull from the jug, LOL!

We then each tried a shot with salt and lime, like tequila - much better!

It's corn whiskey.

What kinds of drinks would you make with this moonshine?

Lee

Attachments

• Moonshine, 8-14.JPG
    Moonshine, 8-14.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Moonshine and Jan, 8-14.JPG
    Moonshine and Jan, 8-14.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Moonshine and Babs, 8-14.JPG
    Moonshine and Babs, 8-14.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Moonshine and Kathy, 8-14.JPG
    Moonshine and Kathy, 8-14.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 138

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:mrgreen: Judging by those three reactions, ummm probably none, but it looks like y'all had a good time taste testing, and that's what counts.

I've put some pretty nasty tasting liquors in my mouth before...maybe a little sip of Mad Dog 20 20 :wink:..., but that corn whiskey has to burn like....

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Someone gave DW this back after Christmas. We've had a few folks sample them, but everyone says the same thing, "The cherries are fine...the shine sucks!" Pretty nasty stuff, just meant to remove old paint or make fools drunk. I'll take a fine sippin' whiskey any day over this rotgut. Hell, I'll drink Calvert or Corby's before drinking this.

Moonshinecherries.jpg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
but Joe, what's your honest opinion? (gggggggggggggggg)

moonshine can be exceedingly "raw" - and from what I know - not of course that I ever get into the situation...... the really good moonshiners do not go legal because they get more profit from selling dang-good stuff without the distillery number on the label.

the moonshine stuff what peels the enamel off yer teeth - that's gotta be 'cut' with something.

100 proof ala the label? that's not what good moonshine is about. that stuff is just legal-gal-lized.

K

Kimchee

Do you like apples? Look for some Applejack recipes.
Buy a bag of Jack Daniel's smoking chips, the ones made from their used barrels.
Toss a little handful of chips in and let them sit for while someplace warm.
Taste often. Eventually, you'll have whiskey, and can dilute it to drinkable proof.
Not saying it will taste any better, but it's a fun experiment. I let mine go too long.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is Everclear the same as moonshine?

I had Everclear when I competed in BBQ competitions down South. Guys had those cherries marinating in it.

I thought the Everclear was pretty smooth when I sipped it, but the cherries made me cough! LOL!

Lee